Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Ferns drapery shop was where Poppies coffee shop is now. They supplied the red carpet for weddings in the church, and for special occasions when the Bishops visited.

P. J. O Connor and Son was the name of the Carraig Orchard originally. Run by O Connors. The son, Dave O Connor was later a professional photographer who supplied most of the photos to the "Wicklow People" and other newspapers.

Dinny Toole from Killincarrig delivered coal door to door around Greystones in the 50s and 60s Charlie Mc Donald from Killincarrig was the local barber with his "salon" at the side of his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ah Ferns, and Bells - where my mum used to buy all my socks...

There used to be a toy and book shop above where Declans barbers is now, and the estate agents opposite Mooneys was at various times a sweet shop (very popular with the Bridgets and Davids kids) and a record shop (think this was the same guy who ran Soundz).

I think the entire block where Cherry Blossom and Breretons are now, was at one point a car showroom attached to the neighbouring garage - am I right about that. I have a recollection that it was the original Watson and Johnson.

Greystones really had very few shops prior to the mid-90s - the blocks containing the bookshop & supervalu were occupied by old houses (one of which contained a vets). Several of the shops on the other side of the street were still just houses. and obviously Meridian Point was still a stinky fish-factory.

Pixbyjohn - you must remember when the cinema still occupied that whole building. I think the space that made up the latterday cinema was just the balcony of the old one.

Jack Connolly of St. Brigids Park, Blacklion was the local hackney, He drove a Ford Consul

• Advertisement

Jim Kinsella of Blacklion delivered coal from a horse and cart and when he progressed to a small lorry, his wife Josie drove it on deliveries

I've just remembered - Declan's was previously an electrical shop that also contained greystones' first video library - they had a betamax section!

Speaking of barbers, in one of the books of old photos of the town, theres a picture of Frank Clark standing outside his shop sometime in the 50s or 60s. Amazingly he looks exactly the same as he did when he was butchering my hair in the 80s and 90s! The new barbers in the village is ominously called "Sweeney Todds" but nothing could ever be as terrifying as seeing Frank approaching you with a pair of scissors in his hand :eek:

loyatemu wrote: »
    ah Ferns, and Bells - where my mum used to buy all my socks...

There used to be a toy and book shop above where Declans barbers is now, and the estate agents opposite Mooneys was at various times a sweet shop (very popular with the Bridgets and Davids kids) and a record shop (think this was the same guy who ran Soundz).

I think the entire block where Cherry Blossom and Breretons are now, was at one point a car showroom attached to the neighbouring garage - am I right about that. I have a recollection that it was the original Watson and Johnson.

Greystones really had very few shops prior to the mid-90s - the blocks containing the bookshop & supervalu were occupied by old houses (one of which contained a vets). Several of the shops on the other side of the street were still just houses. and obviously Meridian Point was still a stinky fish-factory.

Pixbyjohn - you must remember when the cinema still occupied that whole building. I think the space that made up the latterday cinema was just the balcony of the old one.

Yes I remember the cinema in full swing, Monday and Tuesday nights had the same programmes as had Wednesday and Thursday nights . Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights had different programs. there was a matinee on Sunday afternoons. Paddy Salmon of Killincarrig was the Manager of the Ormonde.
    The Vet beside Hills garage and now where Supervalue is now was Mr. Ross Buckley who now lives in Killincarrig beside the Hairdressing salon.
    I remember when the Ormonde had a fund raising Concert for the Scouts and it was packed out. The Dubliners played there that night.

I remember Watson and Johnsons very well cos I served petrol there in the Summers,and also put number plates on new cars.

Where Declans Barbers shop is now originally there was a chemists shop there and I am at wits end trying to remember the name of it. Scotts Chemist was where Mc Gleenans is now beside Cominos chip shop.

• Advertisement

The Northern Bank was situated approximately where the Hungry Monk premises is now.

Peggy Daly's hairdreessers where Bocelli's is now

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drag0n79

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Where Declans Barbers shop is now originally there was a chemists shop there and I am at wits end trying to remember the name of it.

Was it Powers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

The Northern Bank was situated approximately where the Hungry Monk premises is now.

Thought it was Irish Permanent?

Think he means before that...

bren2002 wrote: »
    The 84a
    Almost passing out downstairs on a bus to Bray when the fumes leaked into the bus

The 84 giving up the ghost on the way up Windgates - and having to wait for another bus if you were lucky or else just walk the rest of the way to Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭williamb

What was the tiny estate agent located in the railway station called ? Something like Burke's ? Whatever happened that business ?

drag0n79 wrote: »
    The 84 giving up the ghost on the way up Windgates - and having to wait for another bus if you were lucky or else just walk the rest of the way to Bray.

yeah the famous Bombardier buses - the first one out of the factory broke down 3 times on its inaugaral run, and they went downhill from there (literally - they were rubbish at going up hill as we discovered on Windgates).

drag0n79 wrote: »
    Was it Powers?

Thanks for that

Thats spot on : Powers Chemist opposite Ally Evans the hardware shop. He had everything and when he passed on his brother Charlie Evans took it over.

Yes long before the Irish permanent. When Hogans lived in the house that the Northern Bank had a room and which only opened a few hours per week.
    The Robbie family( Johnnie Robbie of rugby fame ) lived further up the way nearer to Ross Buckleys, the Vet.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 48 AnneRyan

Best thread in a long time, great reading !

Does anyone remember house prices in Greystones ?
    Came in '73 to Applewood Heights as newlywed, paid £7850 for 3 bed semi, could'nt afford 4 bed next door for £1000 more !
    Greystones was cheapest southside place we could find within driving distance of Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

inlondon wrote: »
    - Sitting and smoking over cups of tea after school in the Copper Kettle until we got kicked out by ...what was her name ? the snooty fat lady with the blond hair?

this womans name was mrs breen, my sisters worked there with her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

I am really enjoying this thread too and I agree its a nice change from house prices etc lol

I can see the Charlesland farm managers house from the back of mine, often wonder what stories it could tell - would love to get in and have a look around but its probably too dangerous, and its boarded up anyway. Would anyone know how old it is ?

The farm must have been quite a sight in its heyday

AnneRyan wrote: »
    Best thread in a long time, great reading !

Does anyone remember house prices in Greystones ?
    Came in '73 to Applewood Heights as newlywed, paid £7850 for 3 bed semi, could'nt afford 4 bed next door for £1000 more !
    Greystones was cheapest southside place we could find within driving distance of Dublin

Bellevue Heights bungalows were built in 7 of the gardens of Crow Abbey cottages approx. 32 years ago and the price was 17,750 pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Peggy Daly's hairdreessers where Bocelli's is now

That must have been before it was a butcher's?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Ferns drapery shop was where Poppies coffee shop is now. They supplied the red carpet for weddings in the church, and for special occasions when the Bishops visited.

Poppies (the one in Greystones) hasn't been Poppies in years. It's Summerville now and more of a restaurant than a coffee shop.

Poppies (the one in Greystones) hasn't been Poppies in years. It's Summerville now and more of a restaurant than a coffee shop.

Thank you. You are correct, I pass it almost every day and I should have remembered that. The reason it was changed from Poppies was because there was a Poppies in Enniskerry village who laid claim to the Poppies name.
    And it is as you say more of a restaurant than a coffee shop.

That must have been before it was a butcher's?

Yes before the butcher Vincent Kelly moved to there from the back of John Flynn's supermarket beside the Ormonde.

Photo taken outside of Holy Rosary Church, Greystones in the mid 1950s.
    Do you recognise any of these guys in their St. Kevins blazers ?

• Advertisement

Ernest B Wilson had an auction room on Hillside road where Urbana is now.

Advertisement