Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Knocking sound from wheel

Options
  • 19-11-2008 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hey, I've noticed a 'knocking' sound, for want of a better way to describe it, coming from my front drive side wheel. It seems to happen mainly at slowish speeds, <60KM/H, although it may be happening at high speeds too but as I normally have the radio on I might not be hearing it. It seems to happen mainly when I turn left or right, never on a straight and there is one 'knock' for every revolution of the wheel. The sound isn't like a bang or anything, more like something rubbing off something else as the tyre turns, like if the tyre was rubbing off the wheel arch or something like that. Nothing seems to be making it worse, i.e., going over a bump. Does anyone know what it might be?

I bought the car in July and it is under warranty until February. It got four new tyres when I bought it. It's been happening on and off for a couple of months now and I have been reluctant to bring it in to the garage as a result. A couple of things were going wrong on and off before and when I brought it in they couldn't find anything wrong. I know there is something wrong now but as it might happen once and then not for two weeks I'm worried they won't be able to diagnose it.

Couple of other things; tyre seems fine, the car isn't dragging left or right and the tracking is absolutely perfect. Also the car corners fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Sounds like a classic case of worn CV joint(s).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Might be CV joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

CV Joint +1

Id be getting it done sooner rather than later or the other one is likely to go aswell... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

It could of course be a mouse, asking politely to get out! :D

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Thanks for the quick replies. I know I should be worried about my safety more than anything but I rely on my car to get down to college during the week. I could drop it in on Monday morning but would need it back Monday evening to get back down to college (the garage is in my home town) as I'm facing into finals, etc. Would they be able to fix it in a day to you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

I have driven on a knocking CV joint for weeks. Its annoying but no cause for panic. Don't leave it though either, if it brakes completely you are stranded.

The joint is lubricated with oil and covered in a rubber boot to keep the oil in place. They will last forever if the boot is ok, but often the rubber wears out from being bashed by grit on the road. it eventually get a leak and all the oil drains out. The CV starts to "knock" and wear out.

Bring it a mechanic to confirm diagnosis, get him to order a replacement (depending on the car, you might get a second-hand one in a brakers yard). Bring the car back when the parts arrived and he can put it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

It will be grand for many months and wont break, just dont force it around a corner, and when turning in a circle go slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Ok, so booked into the garage on Monday morning. They can fix it under guarantee, as long as I didn't cause the damage myself. Now I will admit I had a run in with a couple of curbs but nothing ferocious. Just tipped off it to make sure I'm in as far as I can and I brushed it alongside it once or twice parking outside my Mum's. Most times I'd tip both wheels off the curb, or the passenger side one. Could this have damaged the wheel? I know that's like asking how long is a piece of string, but I just want to know how likely is it that I caused the damage?

The car is a 99 and had been off the road for nearly a year when I bought it.

Advertisement