Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Athiests evil?

Options
  • 09-11-2008 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

This has kind of grown out of teh Catholic Church thread...

It is pretty obvious that there are a number of posters on here (myslef included) who have zero faith in any diety. Our reasons for being on the forum would vary from curiosity to hostility but I would imagine it is fair to say that the chances of us converting are somewhere around teh same as teh chances of PDN, FC or Kelly1 dropping thier faith!

So here we have a little cabal of athiests and I suppose I am curious as to what the devout think of our position? Since The Truth is so overwhelming and God is so Magnificent why do we not believe? Is it pride? Is it stupidity? Or are we tools of some evil force? Or are we part of gods plan, sent to try and test you?

I can assure you that I personally won't be insulted by your answers so fire away!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

It's atheists, not athiests...

Why don't you take your little discussion over to the atheism forum and leave us Christian folk alone?

I believe atheism and secularism is rooted in evil. Not that the subscribers themselves are inherently evil, just that they're under the influence of sinister forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Cantab. wrote: »
    It's atheists, not athiests...

Why don't you take your little discussion over to the atheism forum and leave us Christian folk alone?

I believe atheism and secularism is rooted in evil. Not that the subscribers themselves are inherently evil, just that they're under the influence of sinister forces.

My typing is woeful - there are several spelling mistakes in the post to correct ;) And there is no point in going to A&A with it as it's the opinion of christians I am interested in - and as always mods have teh power to lock, move or delete this thread if they feel it is out place.

So you think that those who don't believe in god are pawns in the power struggle between god and satan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I've seen secular people do good things. When the world was ruled by the RCC things weren't that rosy either. People tended to have been manipulated more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I aint the most religious, and i certainly dont go to mass often it at all, but I believe in god and some what in prayer.
    My ex is an atheist, and she is one because her bro died when he was younger. I tried to convert her or at least make an impression on her, which i think worked somewhat.

I just find it very weird that atheists dont believe in anything.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How is not believing in a God the same as being evil?
    Has the definition of evil changed?
    Upon that premise, it could be said that anyone who is not Christian is evil!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I aint the most religious, and i certainly dont go to mass often it at all, but I believe in god and some what in prayer.
    My ex is an atheist, and she is one because her bro died when he was younger. I tried to convert her or at least make an impression on her, which i think worked somewhat.

Why? If me and a bunch of my friends tell you that the universe was created by the Flying Spaghetti monster, you'll ask for evidence. If we can't give you evidence, you're not going to believe. You accept the God concept because it's one you've been familiar with since childhood and which has broad acceptance, but there's no more proof for that than the FSM concept. All we're doing is refusing to believe in that which cannot be observed by some means, just as you would do for the FSM.

Now if you want to believe in God, I've got no issue with it. I can even see why you'd try to convert people. But surely you can't find the atheist position that weird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Phototoxin wrote: »
    I've seen secular people do good things.

I think you might be a little confused. It's quite possible to be both religious and secular - just ask PDN. In fact, it's inevitable - all religious people engage in secular activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

...I just find it very weird that atheists dont believe in anything.

I think you'll find they're called nihilists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

atheists are boring / bitter old sods. I dunno about evil though

towel401 wrote: »
    atheists are boring / bitter old sods. I dunno about evil though

Nope I'm young and fun loving and actually a loving guy aswell. Bitterness gets you nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I believe in lots of stuff. Just not god, the bible or religion.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yes atheists are evil

Dave! wrote: »
    Yes atheists are evil

Agreed.

You can't actually get admitted to the Outer Circle of the Atheist Materialist Conspiracy until you perfect your first Evil Cackle.

towel401 wrote: »
    atheists are boring / bitter old sods.

I suspect this is the remark of somebody who's never actually met a live one.

rockbeer wrote: »
    I suspect this is the remark of somebody who's never actually met a live one.

Dead atheists do tend to be old, but in terms of bitterness I couldn't comment having never tried one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Are Athiests evil?

Well I did the PDs a preference in the election but apart from that...

Dead atheists do tend to be old, but in terms of bitterness I couldn't comment having never tried one.

They know us by our reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Just to pre-empt any nastiness or silliness that may arise - please lets all keep this civil, folks.

IMO, an evil atheist is not evil because they are an atheist. Similarly, I don't think that an evil Christian is evil because of his Christian beliefs. To borrow from that wonderful speech of M.L. King, it's because of the content of their character.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Is an atheist someone who doesn't believe in any kind of god / after life?
    I don't believe in a grey bearded old man on a cloud behind peter's golden gates and what not. But I do think that there is something else out there. Maybe some kind of powerful alien or a super computer... i dunno.
    Does this make me an atheist or wah? And if so am I evil?

Bill-e wrote: »
    I don't believe in a grey bearded old man on a cloud behind peter's golden gates and what not. But I do think that there is something else out there. Maybe some kind of powerful alien or a super computer... i dunno.

Yep your an atheist or a nudge away. The important part is in bold.

• Advertisement

I hope you are not insinuating that the religious are liable to not think.

I'm merely implying its important. In fairness a lot of religious people are guilty of not thinking.

Oh, and you can prove that, can you? Because if you cant, then I'm afraid that it's just you, based on your intolerances, presupposing that religious people are a silly bunch.

You may have guessed your contention (and let's not pussy foot around with words like 'imply') that religious people are not 'thinkers' (you didn't even bother to insert the word 'critical' before hand) is an opinion that causes me to get a little (but not overly) peeved. The arrogance of your post is circular in it's reasoning: 'anybody who doesn't think like me isn't a 'thinker'.

There are countless numbers of highly intelligent theists who have put a great deal more thought and consideration into their beliefs than you dare give them credit for, CerebralCortex. Then again, I guess you can't give them any credit because anybody who doesn't think like you isn't a thinker. And by way of counter argument, I could state that there are a high number of atheists who have not seriously considered the alternatives to their belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

IMO, an evil atheist is not evil because they are an atheist. Similarly, I don't think that an evil Christian is evil because of his Christian beliefs. To borrow from that wonderful speech of M.L. King, it's because of the content of their character.

Hit the nail on the head there.
    As with every group there are a few bad apples and you can't tar everyone with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

--amadeus-- said:
    So here we have a little cabal of athiests and I suppose I am curious as to what the devout think of our position? Since The Truth is so overwhelming and God is so Magnificent why do we not believe? Is it pride?
    That often is a major factor in unbelief. The unwillingness to consider oneself the creature in a Creator/creature relationship.
    Is it stupidity?
    Most unlikely. The very intelligent are relatively few in the people of God:
    1 Corinthians 1:26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence.
    Or are we tools of some evil force?
    Yes, you are servants of a false king - but there is hope for you:
    Acts 26:17 I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, 18 to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’
    Or are we part of gods plan, sent to try and test you?
    We are all part of God's plan. Like Paul before his conversion, you at present are sent to try and test us - but like him you may come to worship Him whom you once persecuted. :)

Let me directly address your thread header, Are Atheists evil?
    Yes. Anyone who does not worship God is evil, no matter how moral they may be in other matters.

In fact, without faith in God, all the best things one does are sinful:
    Isaiah 64:6b But we are all like an unclean thing,
    And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags;

Oh, and you can prove that, can you? Because if you cant, then I'm afraid that it's just you, based on your intolerances, presupposing that religious people are a silly bunch.

You may have guessed your contention (and let's not pussy foot around with words like 'imply') that religious people are not 'thinkers' (you didn't even bother to insert the word 'critical' before hand) is an opinion that causes me to get a little (but not overly) peeved. The arrogance of your post is circular in it's reasoning: 'anybody who doesn't think like me isn't a 'thinker'.

There are countless numbers of highly intelligent theists who have put a great deal more thought and consideration into their beliefs than you dare give them credit for, CerebralCortex. Then again, I guess you can't give them any credit because anybody who doesn't think like you isn't a thinker. And by way of counter argument, I could state that there are a high number of atheists who have not seriously considered the alternatives to their belief.

:( I obviously really struck a cord with you there Fanny and tbh completely unintentionally, and in my defense you've put a lot of words in your mouth. I really don't understand why you would be upset by anything I would say your reaction says a lot more than what you written to me at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

So here we have a little cabal of athiests and I suppose I am curious as to what the devout think of our position? Since The Truth is so overwhelming and God is so Magnificent why do we not believe? Is it pride? Is it stupidity? Or are we tools of some evil force? Or are we part of gods plan, sent to try and test you?
    We're all evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Atheists do not believe; there are also Agnostics, who think that that the truth about the matter is unknown - at least for the moment.

There are people who describe themselves as atheists who are simply without belief in a personal deity. Then there are those who actively believe such a deity doesn't exist.

Agnostics hold to the view that the truth is not only unknown but can never be known therefore they try to remain strictly neutral on the issue.

How you describe yourself is up to you in the end - there are no clearly laid out rules for being an atheist in the way that there are for being a catholic. You are one if you think you are one.

You might find this thread interesting reading.

• Advertisement

:( I obviously really struck a cord with you there Fanny and tbh completely unintentionally, and in my defense you've put a lot of words in your mouth. I really don't understand why you would be upset by anything I would say your reaction says a lot more than what you written to me at least.

I don't believe that I have read into anything. You stated that a lot of religious people are guilty of not thinking (and by extension, one can only assume that you believe a lot of non-religious are thinkers - insert' critical' or 'free' as you wish). As I have not encountered any basis to back up this belief, I can only assume it stems from a somewhat low opinion of those who choose to believe in a metaphysical being(s).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement