Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭mediacentre.ie

right mine worked perfect of the last week but now I am back to square one again??? 100k max??

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mr.Christmas

hi i am on chorus 20mb
    i run speed tests and am hitting the top speeds.
    but when i try to download a torrent using either utorrent or bittorrent i cannot get the green light, and when i do i cannot get it over 30 kbs.
    i have read as much as i can about increasing speed, followed the guides word for word, but still it is dragging through.
    at moment i am downloading a file with 1414 seeds and cannot get the green light at all and am stuck on 1.3 kbs
    how is it that sometimes i can get a port that works and other times not
    i am really sick of it.
    any help REALLY appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

NTL/UPC have admitted in the past that they use traffic shaping to ease
    the load on their infrastructure from torrents - recent changes whilst not
    a new policy by UPC seem to show they are getting stricter.

Mentioned in this post here last year
    http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54416845&postcount=106

Original article here:
    UPC networks director Conor Harrison said "abusing the network" by downloading "excessive" files would result in the cable operator restricting traffic. UPC monitors individual connections and reduces P2P traffic at peak demand times as it has experienced heavy data users affecting the connections of other UPC users in their locality.

"It's very much an evolving arena.

We're constantly looking at traffic management and it's a sensitive subject, " Harrison said. "We have to ensure the network keeps pace with the applications out there."
    http://www.tribune.ie/article/2007/nov/04/sharing-is-never-easy/

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

I wonder will this prob simply sort itself out.

I remember this happening about a month or so ago...torrents slowed to a crawl for about a week. Then all of a sudden back to normal.

Could it be that NTL/UPC are using Traffic shaping only occasionally when volumes are high or systems are not operating 100%?

This might resolve itself yet... (hopefully)

Can people try this? It might be a solution if they are using sandvine.

http://wakarimasu.googlepages.com/windows

It doesn't work with vista so I can't try it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I got a call from the manager today. He said I was not over what he would consider an enormous amount (I think it was 42gigs downloaded, 6 or 7 uploaded over a month). He was not convinced that I was being throttled, however - I am still in full belief that I am, as my TCP downloads are perfectly fine - and any tracker I use produces no more than 29-30KB/s, when prior to this fiasco, it got 1MB/s for any well-seeded torrent.

Working for an ISP, I'm aware of the miscommunication between even top level management. So perhaps, he genuinely doesn't believe that I am being throttled. But there is nothing the leads me to believe that it is anything other than traffic shaping/throttling.

I will see what happens, I need to get back in touch with him about something. Hopefully it can be resolved soon as I have had NTL ever since they provided broadband in Waterford and I've always found them to be top quality in terms of service. However, if the torrent issue is not resolved soon - I will have to move elsewhere as I rely on torrents for numerous things. I'm not a heavy downloader. I would estimate I'm very average in my soon, so I don't feel that I should be penalised when the manager himself said my traffic was not in what he would consider to be enough to warrant throttling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

well there's no question they are throttling, it's still usable for downloading music however, I can download 1.4 gigs from 00:30 to 07:30 via bittorrent, get anywhere from 100 to 200 KB/sec with 10 ~ torrents running, forget about it for movies games and tv shows though, I'm using rapidshare for that now, also at night so hopefully they won't bloke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Has anyone had any joy with that sandvine fix??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 armtrak

Hey lads. Same problem here: recently I moved from Eircom to NTL and normal down/up speed are fantastic..... except torrents speed. They are simply awful, even with port forwarding etc. all green lights. and I started to regret about my decision. I really need to sort it out. Is there any time at night when they stop limiting us, especially upload channel? Is there any hope they will sort it out? I mean what is the point of such a high upload channel if you can't use it?:(

mine has jumped back to 2.3mbps again? something strange is going on???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Im down to 5.4kb/s on my torrents after 1am-7 or 8am the most i got was 100kb/s..

335237504.png

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

FYI. If UPC are throttling they're doing a terrible job on my connection. Here's a quick snap of my utorrent d/l meter with a test snatch from a private tracker.

utorrent-upc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Keith186

Im down to 5.4kb/s on my torrents after 1am-7 or 8am the most i got was 100kb/s..

335237504.png

What a horrible ping you have there!

I'm on BT 3mb line and I get speeds between 100kbps and 320kbps on utorrent with green lights (port forwarded etc) depending on the seeders. Happy enough with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Well guys i was getting really bad speeds (7/8kbs) a few weeks ago.
    I set up port forwarding and it was great getting full 1.2mb/sec downloads (MAX)

But now it's stopped again.. I've changed the portforwarding again and again but nothing !!.. I've checked my speed on speedtest.net and i'm still showing full speed.
    I downloaded something via HTTP and was getting full.

How can they block all ports? is it just Utorrent ?
    any tips?

Can people try this? It might be a solution if they are using sandvine.

http://wakarimasu.googlepages.com/windows

It doesn't work with vista so I can't try it.

The downloaded files and the instructions dont match so you cant follow them

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

NeVeR wrote: »
    The downloaded files and the instructions dont match so you cant follow them

Shame, was about to try that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

i've found that if you open about 10 torrents at once (eg all the new tv shows out that day :D ) you can get up to 1MB/s combined. Its nice to see even though its not full speed for the couple of minutes it lasts. also my upload has gone back to full speed in the last couple of days but my downloads are still throttled.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

NeVeR wrote: »
    How can they block all ports? is it just Utorrent ?
    any tips?

They don't block ports and it's not just a uTorrent problem. They use traffic-shaping technology to detect that you are using bit torrent protocol and limit your speed. I imagine that people who download using http or ftp aren't affected (easy to test).

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mr.Christmas

dhaddock wrote: »
    i've found that if you open about 10 torrents at once (eg all the new tv shows out that day :D ) you can get up to 1MB/s combined. Its nice to see even though its not full speed for the couple of minutes it lasts. also my upload has gone back to full speed in the last couple of days but my downloads are still throttled.

you with UPC?
    i am sick of it a 20 mb service and i max out at 30 k when i use bit torrent or u torrent
    there must be a way around this

Ponster wrote: »
    They don't block ports and it's not just a uTorrent problem. They use traffic-shaping technology to detect that you are using bit torrent protocol and limit your speed. I imagine that people who download using http or ftp aren't affected (easy to test).

Any way of getting around it?

I know they are blocking http sites as well.

Who this same technology be stopping newsgroup downloading?

• Advertisement

I get over 1200k/s on torrents with UPC. It peaks around 1,500 the odd time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Anyone have any joy using SSH and PuTTY to bypass Sandvine?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

Tazzle wrote: »
    hi tazzle could you please post your settings for torrent program and ports etc pleaseeeeeeeeeee

connections - 600 max / 100 max per torrent / 7 upload slots.
    speeds - 70 max upload.
    dht turned off, encryption enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Tried you setting, doesnt make any difference :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

This is a load of b£$%^* :(

Connection at the moment down 30.0kbps up averaging around 30ish aswell
    Torrents dl at 3.0kbs.
    I have noticed the dl on torrents is one tenth of overall speed..anyone else???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

david7536 wrote: »
    Yip, if you are a n00b and want to pay it sure is!But if you know how to use the bt protocal properly and have access to private sites then happy days!
    1.4 Mb/s every time on 12mb ntl

Rapidshare n00b??? not so n00b now . Use your bt protocal know how on a throttled line. lol

Tazzle wrote: »
    No you don't. you might have two weeks ago, but not now. (if not fair!!!!! I want my high speed torrents back!!!lol )

Anyway I've heard UPC is giving up torrent throttling. Too many complaints.

ROC1977 wrote: »
    No you don't. you might have two weeks ago, but not now. (if not fair!!!!! I want my high speed torrents back!!!lol )

Anyway I've heard UPC is giving up torrent throttling. Too many complaints.

utorrent-upc.jpg

^^ There's a shot of my utorrent from yesterday doing over 1,300k/s downstream. So in short, yes I do.

• Advertisement

I believe you bud. Just jelous, I want my high speed back.
    How much would you download on a weekly basis from torrents? Have you been getting those speeds all the time from private trackers or public trackers?

Advertisement