Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Wedding You ever attended and why?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Never been to a wedding. The first one will be both the best and worst, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

I was at a friends wedding about two years ago and the best mans speech was the worst I've ever heard. It ended up being cut out of the wedding video. He was so nervous that he ended up drinking himself stupid beforehand. The speech had obviously been written for him and he dropped the papers so they weren't in order. He cursed during the whole thing and couldn't figure out how to finish it. Worst best mans speech ever! Totally cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

WindSock wrote: »
    Seriously though, my first job was working in a local hotel when I was 15. There were up 6 weddings per weekend and they were ALL THE SAME :eek:
    Seriously though, having worked on and off as a drummer on many wedding bands, I'd have to concur.

We had a nickname for these gigs - 'Hang Sangwich' weddings.

Personally? I'd feck off to the Mediterranean.

My own personal take on Irish weddings was that the amount spend is inversely proportional to the eventual success of the marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

My own personal take on Irish weddings was that the amount spend is inversely proportional to the eventual success of the marriage.

Wise words..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Some vry funny posts here, but I can't believe the amount of bitchyness in this thread, esp from the OP. Seriously, why did you even bother? I'm glad we've decided to have a small intimate thing, to avoid inviting ungrateful, selfish people like you. No choice, you were getting a free meal FFS, it can increase your meal bill by up to 20% to add a choice. They had a large wedding, obviously because they wanted to invite all of their friends, maybe they couldn't invite everyone AND afford choices, so would you have preffered not to go. You could always have had come up with an excuse.
    coco85 wrote: »
    90% of people there were culchies from the middle of nowhere!!![/B]
    what the hell does where people are from have to do with the menu?
    I have never been to a wedding where things wrapped up before 2/3am..... It was an hour in the difference, this is an excuse to have a good little moan?
    ... one couple i know who are getting married soon mentioned that they now know how not to have a wedding!
    Sounds like the only mistake the bride and groom made was with their guest list TBH

Clareman wrote: »
    If they mind they don't matter, if they matter they don't mind :P
    My sentiments xactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

A lot of my dad's side of the family has nut allergies, some so serious they carry epi-pens around. Cousin was getting married, and heard him say before the wedding "oh Sandra (his OH) planned it all, she's amazing etc". Turned up late to the food as I had to pick up other relatives from the airport, to find three ambulances outside the hall where we were having food. Sandra had served a number of dishes with nuts in them for the buffet and 10 relatives had to recieve medical treatment. :o

Brought along to a wedding as a +1 to find my ex and his gf seated at the table with me and my friend. Must have barely been 60 people there, was v.akward, his gf drank heavily, then kept crying during the food saying I was going to run off with my ex :o Awkward as hell, but they went home early and I had a great time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

No choice, you were getting a free meal FFS.

Last time I checked, weddings were not free for guests - there's the outfit, the transport, possible accommodation costs. Oh and don't forget the cash and/or wedding list present, which can be €200 just by itself. Considering the average meal in a restaurant is €40 for one person, not only is it not a free meal, it can be an incredibly expensive "meal".

I have had many friends bewail the amount of weddings they've been invited to over a summer, simply because they cannot afford to go to all of them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, enough of the debate about the expectations that guests and the happy couple have, and the associated costs.

Worst wedding stories only from now on or I'm locking this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

taconnol wrote: »
    I have had many friends bewail the amount of weddings they've been invited to over a summer, simply because they cannot afford to go to all of them.

+1. It's lovely to be invited, and we all want to see our friends happily celebrate their marriage - i just wish that more people wanted to have their wedding between October and April!

Never been to a bad wedding, but i'm enjoying the stories here of some of the train wrecks. Anyone reading this thread who is planning a wedding may I make a couple of quick suggestions:

1) enclose a card with the invite, with tick 'yes/no' boxes, and a space for any food requirements. put in a SAE. guests will get back to you faster. or, give an email address for RSVPs.

2) directions and maps - one wedding i was at was down the country and the brides family drove the route between the church and the reception the weekend before with hedge clippers in the car making sure that every signpost could be read.

3) if you want everyone together at some point before the meal for a big group photo, let them know in advance.

4) deserts should always feature chocolate in some form.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

OK, tbh the worst wedding I went to was the wedding of a couple that everyone knew didn't belong together. They were separated before their 2nd wedding anniversary.

That's worse than any crappy catering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Well I hope this is true cos we spent feck all on ours! Have to say though, going into yr first year of marriage debt-free does make things pretty chilled out and pleasant.

I just remembered another story. Not a wedding I attended, but a friend of mine went to it. Groom was incredibly nervous and started with the gin 'n tonics at 10am. He wasn't the world's biggest drinker and by the time the meal came around at 5pm he was completely ratarsed. He had to be put to bed at 9.30pm!!! :eek:

Poor Bride was bulling. She had to spend practically her whole wedding reception on her own. Not what she had imagined, to say the least.

They're still together though, about 12 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Charisma

My own. Socially it was a brill occasion. We stayed in the hotel that night and had a big row. The very diplomatic hotel staff rang the honeymoon suite to tell us to keep the party noise down !
    It was a sign of things to come.

trio wrote: »
    Well I hope this is true cos we spent feck all on ours! Have to say though, going into yr first year of marriage debt-free does make things pretty chilled out and pleasant.

+1
    Was the best day ever and there wasn't a single person who didn't enjoy it (except maybe the guy who had the heart attack) and wasn't on the dance floor at some point of the night! 5 1/2 years later we're still happy so really the whole how much you spent = how long your marriage will last is kinda bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

+1
    Was the best day ever and there wasn't a single person who didn't enjoy it (except maybe the guy who had the heart attack) and wasn't on the dance floor at some point of the night! 5 1/2 years later we're still happy so really the whole how much you spent = how long your marriage will last is kinda bull****
    It really goes to show that the guests make the party. Whenever you get a group of nice people together, you'll have a great time.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

He he, when I'm planning my wedding, I'll go to this thread to find out what NOT to do!

I've never been to a really bad wedding. One I was at the best man's speech went on for 1hr 30 mins! It was unreal! Usually, I think the best man's speech is the funniest bit, taking the piss out of the groom, telling amusing stories etc, but this guy just went on about how great their family was (he's the groom's brother) and how lucky the bride was to have found someone like his brother!! Best part of the whole thing was when some old biddy down the back shouted out 'Jaysus will ya get on with it?!? I'll be dead shortly!' (that was about 45 mins in, he kept going for another 45 after that!!)

Another one I was at was in Greece. The photographer never showed up, the wedding ceremony finished and there was no sign of them, so we all ended up just taking as many pics as we could. Got to the hotel, and started the dinner, and halfway through the meal the photographer arrived and asked could we come out for pictures!! The best man went out to sort things out and I think a few choice words were exchanged and they said they'd take a few shots of the bride and groom for free after the dinner, by way of an apology for not showing up on time. Then there was cake and DJ etc, but the music had to finish by 11.30 and the hotel basically booted us all out after that. The bride and groom were staying in the hotel, and the next morning when they went to check out, someone had charged about €400 worth of drink to their room during the reception!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

taconnol wrote: »
    OK, tbh the worst wedding I went to was the wedding of a couple that everyone knew didn't belong together. They were separated before their 2nd wedding anniversary.

That's worse than any crappy catering.
    I wonder if we were at the same one...? ;)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57460317&postcount=54

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Toots85 wrote: »
    The bride and groom were staying in the hotel, and the next morning when they went to check out, someone had charged about €400 worth of drink to their room during the reception!

That is so lousy!

+1
    Was the best day ever and there wasn't a single person who didn't enjoy it

They're hardly going to come up to you and say they didn't enjoy your wedding now are they.

In saying that the smaller the wedding I've been to the better it's been. Numbers and fuss means nothing!

Dudess wrote: »

LOL, I kept the details as vague as possible but no, no buns in the oven with this one. We all knew he was an anti-social bully with serious psychological issues and a drinking problem but as they say, love is blind. Fortunately, the affair brought her back to her senses.

Just goes to show how common it is!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Clare Bear wrote: »
    That is so lousy!

I know! And the worst part was that the hotel was pretty much block booked for their guests, so it had to be one (or probably a group) of their guests!:mad: The bride's dad paid the tab the next day, and they were both mortified, but he didn't want them having to fork over all that money.

When I get married I'll be leaving implicit instructions to the bar that absolutely no drinks are to be charged to our room!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

Raiser wrote: »
    Sorry but that's nonsense; lots of people don't like to see their dinner bleed around the plate and chew through the particular texture of a rare steak & where did they say they like it "burnt to a crisp" :confused:

Have never ordered a steak without asking for it to be cooked to my taste. EVER, so just because its a wedding you have to kill it before eating it ?

Having organised my own wedding, I can say from experience that venues will rarely allow guests to dictate the rareness of beef or any other meat because they it is a mass-catering operation. You're getting confused with going out for a meal in a restaurant. Different set of circumstances, entirely.

Most wedding venues will err on the side of caution and give everyone well-done meat, which I cannot stand; I believe it ruins the flavour of the meat. I believe the OP (and presumably yourself) has an unrefined palate, therefore I offered a suggestion that she shouldn't be spouting food criticism on this forum. That's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

:D very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

A long time ago - about 9 years, I guess - I went to a wedding in Howey-in-the-Hills, Florida. It is, to date, the most redneck wedding I have ever attended in my life. I didn't know people like this actually existed until I went to this wedding.
    I didn't know the bride and groom, but my roommate was close friends with both, and she invited me to come along.
    They had the wedding at the bride's parents' house. The house lacked two things - a front door and indoor plumbing. The door had fallen off of the hinges, and had never been put back on. And outside, where the wedding was held, they had a septic tank and a Port-a-Potty.
    I wore a very simple sun dress, and was probably the most nicely dressed person there, with the exception of the bride's father, who wore a light blue polyester suit and a cowboy hat. Most of the guests showed up in jeans and flip flops, including the minister who performed the ceremony. The wedding photographer was a guy named "Boomer" who was missing a few teeth and showed up in cutoff jean shorts and an unbuttoned plaid shirt. The bride's sister was the maid of honor, and she wore this bright, shiny, dark blue dress that looked like it came right out of 1985. It was huge and fluffy on top, tight on the bottom and so short that you saw way more than you wanted to.
    The bride arrived at the ceremony in a giant, brown van. She emerged from the sliding side door and walked down the wedding aisle - a long strip of astro turf laid over the (dead) grass.
    The reception was more of the same. It was in another part of the yard with a few picnic tables and a lot of Bud Light. The food was great though. It was all home-cooked bbq, and ice cream cake from Publix.
    I feel kind of bad laughing at the wedding, because they were obviously on a budget, but really, astro turf??

That actually sounds like a great wedding ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

You know, it was. When I was writing this, I was like, yeah this is the worst wedding I've ever been to, in a lot of ways, but it's also sort of the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Sounds like a shotgun wedding. Love the Brides' Fathers Suit :)

Clare Bear wrote: »
    They're hardly going to come up to you and say they didn't enjoy your wedding now are they

No but they would hardly bother telling me how great it was and still talk about it 5 years later!!!!

A long time ago - about 9 years, I guess - I went to a wedding in Howey-in-the-Hills, Florida. It is, to date, the most redneck wedding I have ever attended in my life. I didn't know people like this actually existed until I went to this wedding.
    I didn't know the bride and groom, but my roommate was close friends with both, and she invited me to come along.
    They had the wedding at the bride's parents' house. The house lacked two things - a front door and indoor plumbing. The door had fallen off of the hinges, and had never been put back on. And outside, where the wedding was held, they had a septic tank and a Port-a-Potty.
    I wore a very simple sun dress, and was probably the most nicely dressed person there, with the exception of the bride's father, who wore a light blue polyester suit and a cowboy hat. Most of the guests showed up in jeans and flip flops, including the minister who performed the ceremony. The wedding photographer was a guy named "Boomer" who was missing a few teeth and showed up in cutoff jean shorts and an unbuttoned plaid shirt. The bride's sister was the maid of honor, and she wore this bright, shiny, dark blue dress that looked like it came right out of 1985. It was huge and fluffy on top, tight on the bottom and so short that you saw way more than you wanted to.
    The bride arrived at the ceremony in a giant, brown van. She emerged from the sliding side door and walked down the wedding aisle - a long strip of astro turf laid over the (dead) grass.
    The reception was more of the same. It was in another part of the yard with a few picnic tables and a lot of Bud Light. The food was great though. It was all home-cooked bbq, and ice cream cake from Publix.
    I feel kind of bad laughing at the wedding, because they were obviously on a budget, but really, astro turf??

That is brilliant!!! If there was a prize, I think you'd win it! how great is it to have stories like that to share tho LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Having organised my own wedding, I can say from experience that venues will rarely allow guests to dictate the rareness of beef or any other meat because they it is a mass-catering operation. You're getting confused with going out for a meal in a restaurant. Different set of circumstances, entirely.

Serving Beef via "Mass catering" really means serving 90% of your guests an expensive meal which will almost always be meh average because it hasn't been cooked to their own tastes - if you can't do it right then why do it at all?
    Most wedding venues will err on the side of caution and give everyone well-done meat, which I cannot stand; I believe it ruins the flavour of the meat. I believe the OP (and presumably yourself) has an unrefined palate, therefore I offered a suggestion that she shouldn't be spouting food criticism on this forum. That's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it.

My palate is fine thanks; hows your pontificating arrogance working out for you though :P

41vnd4PFgDL._SS500_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Riche670

Sounds like something out of "Deliverance"...

There wasn't a deformed inbred boy playing the banjo on the veranda was there?

Still, I'd have risked it too for home cooked bbq and ice-cream.

Advertisement