Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Ireland gone too PC?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Political correctness is just bullying. A way to jump down people's throats after misrepresenting what they've said in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

No
    Political correctness is just bullying. A way to jump down people's throats after misrepresenting what they've said in most cases.

Couldnt agree more - its pure bullying and the people who do it tend to hide behind the excuse of protecting minorities (who are perfectly able to take care of themselves).

The whole thing is patronising and condescending to everyone except the unappointed pc thoughtpolice themselves imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

No
    In certain circumstances the answer is yes.

We are currently absorbing immigrants and dealing with a whole set of social issues that as a country we have never had to deal with before.

I think many pundits and interest groups have invented an issue that otherwise does not exist.For example , Pavee Points representation of the Romanians camped on the M50 was a diservice to the Irish people they represent.

I have a nothern ireland friend who calls in and if its diane its break out the jaffa cakes - and we are very sensitive to her and her families beliefs.

We have had gentle banter on this thread about Dundalk and its part of what we do.

No
    In certain circumstances the answer is yes.

We are currently absorbing immigrants and dealing with a whole set of social issues that as a country we have never had to deal with before.

I think many pundits and interest groups have invented an issue that otherwise does not exist.For example , Pavee Points representation of the Romanians camped on the M50 was a diservice to the Irish people they represent.

I have a nothern ireland friend who calls in and if its diane its break out the jaffa cakes - and we are very sensitive to her and her families beliefs.

We have had gentle banter on this thread about Dundalk and its part of what we do.

If you live in a country you live with it as long as the intention is not perjoretive. long word meaning not very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

No
    Its also a way of minorities to bully others, and it happens more than ye would think, it happens a lot in my sisters job. If she asks someone to do thier job, they make racism remarks to her and threaten to report her for such, thankfully her attitude is " come on then, I'll show ye where the office is" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Thats bull and has nothing to do with being PC or not. People can criticise the employer for laying off the staff without criticising the new employees. The only one making it about the foreign workers is you.

Lol :pac:

Dont make me post that thread you partook in re travellers. Its funnier than a Richard Pryor boxset.

I dont think Ireland itself is too PC, it just isnt in our makeup. You hear very few stories of embarassing PC leaning by public bodies compared to the UK. Here it is more a tiny hardcore of trouble makers stalking the likes of boards. You know, the type who will shove their hands in their pockets if there are Roma behind them in the ATM queue (or, better yet, walk away from the queue for fear they have put a skimmer on it), yet they will go onto boards that night and spout their utter PC sh1te. Surely there should be an amendment to the charter allowing for a bit of personal abuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Lol :pac:

Dont make me post that thread you partook in re travellers. Its funnier than a Richard Pryor boxset.

Why don't you repost your amazing discovery that hash will be wiped out because of some moroccan policy or other? That was quite lolz worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Why don't you repost your amazing discovery that hash will be wiped out because of some moroccan policy or other? That was quite lolz worthy.

You, and several of the others here, seem to have a problem with those of, ahem, average or above average intellect. In a rather PC- esque fashion shouting down opinions as bull without providing any type of viable or factual counter arguement.

I had no idea you had wowed us on the drug thread either. Bravo sir :p (for the record I stated that given Irelands geographical location, likely massive reductions in North African hash output, our lack of proximity to any other hash producing region to source from cheaply, and the prevalence of overly expensive greenhouse grown weed in this country, that eventually demand could dry up. Based on the fall in people taking cocaine because...well...its pricey and sh1te. Without even re reading the thread I know full well you didnt come up with any type of response that wasnt, as you put it, l0lzwurthy)

So tell us Brian, do you treat Roma like you treat everyone upon first glance? Or will you just troll us with vague bull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BK2

I don't think Ireland is too pc. The media is but the people imo aren't. My partner is foreign and yet all my work colleagues, friends even family have no problem talking about foreigners, there are too many etc etc, it doesn't bother me either, it is their opinion and they are entitled to it but if the Irish are PC surely you wouldn't slag off east europeans to someone who is married to one!

No
    I blame the media - have done ever since finding out charlie wasnt a bird

• Advertisement

No
    Tha Gopher wrote: »
    You, and several of the others here, seem to have a problem with those of, ahem, average or above average intellect. In a rather PC- esque fashion shouting down opinions as bull without providing any type of viable or factual counter arguement.

I had no idea you had wowed us on the drug thread either. Bravo sir :p (for the record I stated that given Irelands geographical location, likely massive reductions in North African hash output, our lack of proximity to any other hash producing region to source from cheaply, and the prevalence of overly expensive greenhouse grown weed in this country, that eventually demand could dry up. Based on the fall in people taking cocaine because...well...its pricey and sh1te. Without even re reading the thread I know full well you didnt come up with any type of response that wasnt, as you put it, l0lzwurthy)

So tell us Brian, do you treat Roma like you treat everyone upon first glance? Or will you just troll us with vague bull?
    Well the Aran Islanders are genetically related to the Berbers in North Africa and some say they are the lost tribe.Thats what DNA tells us.

And lolz is well lolz.

Now I will respond to you in timely fashion as soon as I tie up my camel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

norbert64 wrote: »
    Is that not just the more darker side of the free market?

Can the employer not do whatever they want with there business.

Sure they may be unethical, immoral numpties, but is it illegal?
    Yes, but surely it's wrong to do things that are wrong? The fired workers could at least confront the bosses and asked them "why are you such heartless *****, how many more ponies does your daughter need?"

No
    An employer cant do what he likes. There is legislation concerning unfair dismissal and redundancy etc that has to be adhered to.

There are procedures and mechanisms run by the DEpt of Labour which cover this kind of thing. If workers are members of a iunion even if a union is not recognised it is sufficient to start the process.

You dont have to be a member of a union to enforce rights and these can be pursued individually if they are breached . I think its the Labour Relations Commision that is responsible

Many of the Citizens advice centres can provide legal advice etc on this.

However this seems a bit of topic for this thread and seems to have nothing to do with the PC issue,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

It's PC madness I tells ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

No
    We had a complaint at work today over the title of a night course that we're running - English for Non-Nationals. According to the moaning-humanitarian-cow responsible there's 'no such thing as a Non-National' :rolleyes: She didn't have much to be whinging about did she?

Its instances like this that lead me to believe we've gone way too PC in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

dunno....

Cant call eskimo's eskimo's anymore, its innuits now..
    Sort of.. think everyone's just overly conscious of insulting anybody.. or saying things that may be perceived to be un-pc or racist-ish...

not i, i dog everyone equally :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Some people are overly-PC. Others still think it's okay to insult black players at football matches ( wasn't there an incident a few months ago where a black player at a GAA match got a load of racial abuse from teenage spectators who were being egged on by their parents? And he was only about 13 or 14?)

Then you've got people saying you can't sing ''Fairytale Of New York'' anymore because the line ''ya scumbag, ya maggot, ya cheap, lousy ******'' might offend gay people. That seems a bit rididculous to me considering no offence was intended.
    Steve01 wrote: »
    We had a complaint at work today over the title of a night course that we're running - English for Non-Nationals. According to the moaning-humanitarian-cow responsible there's 'no such thing as a Non-National' :rolleyes: She didn't have much to be whinging about did she?

Its instances like this that lead me to believe we've gone way too PC in this country

This is a good example-it seems to me like everyone is getting offended over the wrong things. You've got all these overly-sensitive types who won't say 'non-national'. Yet there's people on the street who think nothing of beating up a person of a different colour or nationality, or those who think it's okay to shout racial or homophobic abuse. There has to be some sort of happy medium.

So in short, to me it seems like Ireland is at once too PC and not PC enough. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

dunno....

Cant call eskimo's eskimo's anymore, its innuits now..
    Sort of.. think everyone's just overly conscious of insulting anybody.. or saying things that may be perceived to be un-pc or racist-ish...

not i, i dog everyone equally :D

I don't see the problem, do you call Irish people British?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

i call everyone mah b*tch!! :D Its a winner :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

GA361 wrote: »
    Has Ireland gone too PC?

I use a Mac personally.

• Advertisement

No
    dodgy ground there brian - if they prefer that

if not I call them eskimos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

No
    Thing that gets me the most is that it's now deemed "un PC" to call anyone from outside Dublin a culchie. Really like, that's just rediculous.

Also heard a mother telling off her teenager for saying she was "knackered" instead of saying "tired". :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

No
    I reckon we should start getting a little more agro in AH. It's the only way people will learn to have a sense of humour.

No
    I agree - its now un PC to call people from Dublin Skangers

No
    Steve01 wrote: »

its grossly unfair to exclude dublin people from English lessons on the basis of their race or ethnicity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BK2

I think Ireland has become PC about lots of things other than the whole foreigner thing being discussed such as

1.Being overweight is nearly becoming acceptable and you can't say anything about it to anyone. can't call a fat person fat, can't question it.

2. there is still the whole sahm v working mum thing, neither feels free to express their opinion, if i get asked if i will work when i have children i just say I won' t know until it happens merely because if I give my answer I will feel it is not what certain people will want to hear, don't feel I can talk freely or openly about for fear of insulting someone.

3. Being a single parent is now completely acceptable, it is very unpc to say that you would not be a single parent or that you don't agree with it. There was such a backlash from their treatment years ago (which was wrong) that it has almost gone the other extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

No
    3. Being a single parent is now completely acceptable, it is very unpc to say that you would not be a single parent or that you don't agree with it. There was such a backlash from their treatment years ago (which was wrong) that it has almost gone the other extreme.

Read a piece in the Herald AM this morning on the bus that went along the lines of 90% of those polled of single women in Ireland would consider asking a male friend to shag them silly in order to have a child if they did not/could not find their ideal partner.

See now I'm all for that "shag me silly, you're my friend" idea.

Just gotta figure out how to get my GF involved also, without the use of drugs...Hmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

No
    Morlar wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more - its pure bullying and the people who do it tend to hide behind the excuse of protecting minorities (who are perfectly able to take care of themselves).

The whole thing is patronising and condescending to everyone except the unappointed pc thoughtpolice themselves imo.

well put Morlar, I live by mutual respect, and treat everyone equally no matter what religion, ethnic group, colour etc. they are, and I don't need to walk on eggshells and be expected to treat someone differently because they're fat, black, jewish, gay or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Do I think Irish society is doing a pretty good imitation of being politically correct and overly sensitive of different peoples? Yes.

Do I think this is just a skin deep patina for the majority of people? Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

marcsignal wrote: »
    well put Morlar, I live by mutual respect, and treat everyone equally no matter what religion, ethnic group, colour etc. they are, and I don't need to walk on eggshells and be expected to treat someone differently because they're fat, black, jewish, gay or whatever.

But not worse, and that's the point.

Advertisement