Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT upgrades their LLU2 packages, "up to" 3mb becomes 6 mb, 8 mb becomes 24 mb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

rc28 wrote: »
    No, aren't you on the 7.6mb package? This is not part of BT's LLU rollout, you are gettting a resold Eircom product and unless your exchange goes adsl2+ you will be on plain old adsl for the forseeable future..
    There is some confusion around the place in distinguishing bteween bt's own 8mb(on select exchanges) and the 7.6mb package it also offers as part of Eircom's speed upgrades- see other thread.

Ah,
    Right
    Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

DownStream Connection Speed 17675 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 983 kbps

Woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Solair wrote: »
    It's not all that revolutionary -

UPC Cable
    Smart
    and Magnet all offer similar speeds.

Smart's service is CONTENTION FREE too. It's great.

Also, remember that most phone lines (anywhere, not just in Ireland) can't support maxed out 24mbit/s ADSL2+ Typically lines tend to reach capacity at about 16mbit/s. I've had this experience with other ADSL2+ providers in Ireland and also in the UK.

24mbit/s is theoretical, if you live in the telephone exchange!

Honestly though, BT are really not worth the hassle !
    If Smart or Magnet or UPC are available, I'd go with them instead.
    I would agree with you there, even now I would definitely go with smart over BT or UPC but for the average folk on the street who don't know what contention is all about they are going to go with more advertised speed (Upc's 20 and BT's 24 over smarts 15) for the less money of UPC & BT.

Eurorunner wrote: »
    So if your fortunate enough to be on basic dsl in ballygobackwards - where its probably not all that profitable for them - so no incentive to upgrade right now, any predictions on how long it will take for such smaller exchanges to be upgraded?
    Frankly they just won't be, even in other counties that are miles ahead of here with broadband and have had a much friendlier regulatory situation for LLU its still not economical to unbundle the smaller exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Solair wrote: »
    I suspect that eircom have done a software update on their existing DSL equipment, not installed new gear.

humm that would explain why it's only taking 1hr of downtime to do the "upgrades".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

What are they like with torrents does anyone no do they block ports etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What are they like with torrents does anyone no do they block ports etc
    BT block no ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

BT’s new service will be available immediately in the following exchanges: Tallaght, Dun Laoghaire, Dolphins Barn, Dublin North Main, Terenure, Merrion, Crown Alley, Beggars Bush, Swords, Clondalkin, Summerhill, Blanchardstown, Naas, Dooradoyle, Navanand Kilkenny City.

I'm in Navan and we didn't even get the 8mbps upgrade yet, I don't even think we managed the LLU2 yoke.

Does this mean I'll have jumped from 3mbps to xxmpbs....something faster when I get home?

methinks a phonecall will be needed at least.

i've been meaning to switch to the business package for a while, but never quite got round to it. spending time disconnected was putting me off as last time that happened when I moved it took them 3 months to get me back online.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

302645424.png

Dolphin's Barn Exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

302645424.png

Dolphin's Barn Exchange.

Wow you are lucky. What's supposed to be the upload speed on the new package?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

rc28 wrote: »
    Wow you are lucky. What's supposed to be the upload speed on the new package?
    That would be 1MB.

• Advertisement

BT have updated their website to include the new packages but they are really making it look unfair by putting the 24mb unlimited package on the same page as the similarly priced but capped 7.6mb one:
    http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb.shtml

I find it funny that BT offer faster broadband here(24mb) than they do in the UK(8mb). After this Summer, with all the upgrades (eircom up to 7.6mb, UPC up to 20mb, Magnet up to 50mb, BT now at 24mb) whether our ranking on the OECD broadband list will have improved? Although, most of those speed upgrades are only available in the major towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Dooradoyle exchange in Limerick does not seem to be upgraded yet :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

vibe666 wrote: »
    I'm in Navan and we didn't even get the 8mbps upgrade yet, I don't even think we managed the LLU2 yoke.

Does this mean I'll have jumped from 3mbps to xxmpbs....something faster when I get home?

methinks a phonecall will be needed at least.

i'm on the Blanchardstown exchange and i rang up today about getting put on BT's LLU equipmet as i am still on the 3 meg speed when i should be on 8 meg.

so my line is getting put onto BT's LLU equipment and it should take around 5 days , so all going well it should be done by next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Hello

I can see people have some questions in regards this upgrade

This is what I have:

What has been announced?

BT has announced that all "Option 3" customers served by BT exchange equipment will have their service caps removed - that is to say we will run our customer lines as fast as they will go up to the effective 24Mb limit of ADSL2+ technology. In addition, line speeds to Option 2 customers in these areas is being upgraded to "up to 6Mb" service.

Which exchanges are affected?
    Today: Tallaght, Dun Laoghaire, Dolphins Barn, Dublin North Main, Terenure, Merrion, Crown Alley, Beggars Bush, Swords, Clondalkin, Summerhill, Blanchardstown, Naas, Dooradoyle, Navan and Kilkenny City
    Over the next two months - Douglas and Ballincollig (Cork), Whitehall, Belcamp, and Foxrock (Dublin), and Greystones (Wicklow).
    Beyond Sep 08 - Unannounced

Yes, exchanges such as Navan and Kilkenny are up and running now. If you want to get the service just ring BT Sales and ask for an upgrade, the downtime should be no more than 15 minutes.

What is the "contention rate" on the new service?

Every operator seems to apply their own interpretation to this question. Mainstream Broadband intenet access is ALWAYS a "shared" service, and claims to the contrary should be treated with caution. Contention can happen at many levels within a network. We have two straightforward answers. The actual contention experienced by customers on our network is zero but all BT Broadband services have an end-to-end "network planning" ratio across our network of 48:1. BT's backhaul network is second to none, and is highly scalable.

I'm an BT Option 1 customer. Will my service be affected by this announcement?

No.

I'm an BT Option 2/3 Customer outside the LLU area. Will my service be affected by this announcement?

Yes. As part of this announcement, we are increasing the usage caps for Option 2 customers to 30GB, and allowing all Option 3 customers unlimited usage. All customers remain subject to their terms and conditions and our Fair Usage policy. Our plans for speed upgrades for customers outside our LLU footprint have already been communicated.

What's your fair usage policy?

It can be viewed on our website - in short we don't want to have a small minority of very heavy users impact the service experience, we will act accordingly, and we reserve the right to restrict or withdraw service in these circumstances.

I'm a DSL customer with another operator within the BT LLU area, and my line is already maxxed out. Will BT service be faster?

Probably. The vast majority of DSL customers in Ireland are being serviced by first generation platforms connected to busy networks. Our analysis suggests that the majority will get a useful increase in sych speed from ADSL2+ service, and will also benefit from a superior network service.

What's my upload speed

For 6 mb is 512 kbps, for 24 mb is 1 mb (although most people will sync at ~812 kbps).

Some people dont seem to understand the difference between BT Broadband packages, there is what they call LLU2 and then the "normal" Broadband.

I could explain the technical differences or how is set up, or to check your adsl modulation, but there is no point, the way to look at this is: check the list of exchanges (look all the way up), if your exchange is in the list, then you are on an LLU2 exchange, if your exchange is not on the list, then you are not. That's it.

So, basically, if you are a BT customer on a LLU2 exchange then you will take advantage of higher or unlimited caps and faster speeds, if you are not on a LLU2 exchange then you will only take advantage of the usage cap increase, and not the speed.

There is the possibility that your exchange is on the list but that your line might have not been upgraded, this means that you are still using the "normal" broadband service, either because you are on one of their new exchanges (such as Navan or Kilkenny City) or because you have never asked for it. If this is the case, then call BT sales and ask them to upgrade your line to the new up to 24 mb service (or up to 6 mb). Remember this is only for the exchanges already mentioned.

This is what I have been given, hope it helps

I might open a new threat and paste this answers, just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

The westport exchange is getting the 12mb llu in September.

Is this different to LLU2?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Are you implying that Smart or Magnet customers do not benifit at all from having a 1:1 contention (managed) service?

Rorser wrote: »
    Are you implying that Smart or Magnet customers do not benifit at all from having a 1:1 contention (managed) service?

Hi

I am just posting what I have been given. That's all.

I do know, nevertheless, all ADSL2+ exchanges, including Smart and Magnet, have to go through contention.

For example, at the moment, BT contention on their LLU2 exchanges is literally 0, as the amount of customers on each exchange is very very low, when this increases, so will contention.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Are you sure? I would imagine that a good deal of BT's exchanges have a great amount of customers on them?

My question is will this contention ratio result in a 24mb from BT being slower in the long run than a Magnet and Smart connection (1:1) or a UPC connection (17:1)?

Rorser wrote: »
    Are you sure? I would imagine that a good deal of BT's exchanges have a great amount of customers on them?

My question is will this contention ratio result in a 24mb from BT being slower in the long run than a Magnet and Smart connection (1:1) or a UPC connection (17:1)?

I think that their exchanges are at only 5-10% of capacity. So technically you are uncontented.

Smart and Magnet dont have a 1:1 contention for ADSL2 either, they manage their network so it will look as they do but they dont.

If the number of customer reaches a certain amount they will suffer from congestion too.

That's why contention is so tricky. You can look on Smart's forum and check it yourself.

For ex, Magnet's fiber is 1:1 (I personally have it and it is very fast) but when I get home, on the evenings, my speed decreases up to 30% sometimes. This is most likely due to lack of international bandwidth, technically their contention is 1:1 (as its fiber) but I still get contented.

So at the moment, BT is uncontented (at exchange leveland on LLU2), but, when the amount of customer grow they will suffer from congestion, same as any other provider. If they do it right, and they know how to manage their network then you wont notice it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Bohrio wrote: »
    Hello

BT has announced that all "Option 3" customers served by BT exchange equipment will have their service caps removed - that is to say we will run our customer lines as fast as they will go up to the effective 24Mb limit of ADSL2+ technology. In addition, line speeds to Option 2 customers in these areas is being upgraded to "up to 6Mb" service.

Does this mean that if you download more than 100gb in 30 days that you won't be throttled any more? You wouldn't be long downloading a 100 gbs with a 24mb line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

just checked my 8meg line on the Swords exchange and its syncing at 12 down 1 up :) not bad for something unexpected

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Connrang

Still no sign of the Athlone upgrade, post September is the best information available....

Blindpew wrote: »
    Hello

Does this mean that if you download more than 100gb in 30 days that you won't be throttled any more? You wouldn't be long downloading a 100 gbs with a 24mb line.

Hello blindpew

I am not sure of where the fair usage policy will apply (the number of gbs I mean), not for the moment and I dont think BT will ever disclose that information, I guess we will have to find ourselves!

And I dont know if Portlaoise will be upgraded anytime soon. I guess it will all depend on how good (monywise) the other LLU2 exchanges turn out to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Yeah, unlimited isnt unlimited though, if you were to download above 400gb - 500gb a month every month they would be on your case imo.I am on the business 7.6mb package which is unlimited too, they're is 4 of ous in the house and we would be doing well over 200gb a month.

We have yet to be throttled and as long as we dont go over 500gb a month id say we will be alright.

If you have good line stats and near enough the exchange you should be getting 2.00 - 2.50 mb/s download speed.Thats 9.0gb per hour/ 216 per day :eek:

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Yeah, unlimited isnt unlimited though, if you were to download above 400gb - 500gb a month every month they would be on your case imo.I am on the business 7.6mb package which is unlimited too, they're is 4 of ous in the house and we would be doing well over 200gb a month.

We have yet to be throttled and as long as we dont go over 500gb a month id say we will be alright.

If you have good line stats and near enough the exchange you should be getting 2.00 - 2.50 mb/s download speed.Thats 9.0gb per hour/ 216 per day :eek:
    Sorry to be annoying but please distinguish between gb/mb and gB and mB(huge difference) as there is always confusion between the two on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

How do I find out what exchange I would be on? living in Fermoy, Co.Cork :confused:

vectra wrote: »
    How do I find out what exchange I would be on? living in Fermoy, Co.Cork :confused:

Put your phone number through the following;
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/line-checker.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

[

If you have good line stats and near enough the exchange you should be getting 2.00 - 2.50 mb/s download speed.Thats 9.0gb per hour/ 216 per day :eek:[/QUOTE]

Now that's the kind of connection that I want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement