Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

JC Decaux signs - take extra care

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,808 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks, MadsL. People like you who actually care with a passion can make a difference. Great result. Could you please keep us posted on this thread with any follow ups?

And as for all the posts about who carried out the actual work - it doesn't matter. The council is responsible. I want to hear no more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Just talking tonight to a friend about the 'lack of community spirit' Thanks for restoring my faith in those who seek to take an active part in the life of their hometown

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Good stuff MadsL, so is it being taken down now? I was about to suggest a group of us go out reef it down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

OP.....Good job!!! smilie_thumbsup.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Savman wrote: »
    Lost for words.:eek:

theres a first :D

on another note, that is just idiocracy personified :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

d'ya see flogen video too
    http://www.adammaguire.com/blog/2008/07/07/dangerous-dublin-advert-courtesy-of-dublin-city-council-and-jcdecaux/

its not over yet remember this is mega corp jcdeuax,( we can vandalise because we're a corporation(tm)) vs
    cowardly powerless councillors

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume the Irish solution to this Irish problem will be to put an ambler gambler camera there!

Thread stickied for a few days at OPs request

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Has it been removed yet does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

Excellent post - thanks for highlighting this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Excellent post - thanks for highlighting this
    +1

Well done on exposing this danger to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

cormie wrote: »
    Has it been removed yet does anyone know?

I passed it half an hour ago, there's a barricade around it and they've dug a hole around the base, I'd say it'll be removed tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Fair f*cks OP, need more active people in the comunity like this lest we be snowed under with poor planning and placement.

I'm pretty shocked about this whole thing about having to pay for each planning objection and the underhandedness of putting in a separate application for each "structure" (I use the term in it's loosest sense)...it's a damn shame that the public need to pay to have their voice heard...how the hell do we end up with a system like this?

On a separate issue, I wonder how many claims will be made for cuts etc. from the base...
    SMDC0087.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Those cut outs look sharp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

kbannon wrote: »
    On a separate issue, I wonder how many claims will be made for cuts etc. from the base...
    SMDC0087.jpg

I watched a terrier pup whimpering after it ran under one grazing its back.
    Only Dublin City Council could be this stupid, but what else could you expect from them when you see what passes for "traffic engineering"

I have mailed my local TD's and councillors to highlight the excellent original post.

Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Excellant work OP.

Anyone know the councillors who voted to allow these be erected, I would like to personally boycott them and their political parties for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Anyone know the councillors who voted to allow these be erected, I would like to personally boycott them and their political parties for life.

It wasn't really the councillers who landed us with this, it was the management who signed the deal, then smoke and mirrored the details, for instance they refused to show the signed contract to Council claimin 'commercially sensitive'. The original deal was 450 bikes, 4 toilets, a wayfinding scheme (fingerposts kindof) and a heritage trail. Plus the removal of 100 48-sheet billboards (some questionable as to their legality anyway)

It's now been whittled away 450 bikes, NO toilets, NO wayfinding scheme and a pilot of the heritage trail. Plus the removal of 50 48-sheet billboards.

I watched a terrier pup whimpering after it ran under one grazing its back.
    PM Sent...ah can't

Bee could you write up a description of the terrier pup .. I'd like to include this in a letter to the Road Safety Authority.

my email is no.to.decaux@gmail.com

Thanks

Ok Dorset St looks like it is being removed. Now for the next one on Parnell St. This is a poor camphone image but notice the traffic light on the right is obscured except for the red. Which if you think about it means that there is only one effective amber light functioning for the ped crossing. :eek: :eek:

Also any pedestrians crossing behind this sign are hidden from oncoming traffic, the view of drivers turning right out of the carpark is also blocked.

Image008.jpg

Could someone post better pics if they work/live/drive in the area. Thanks.

Also pics needed of the one by the Bleeding Horse.

• Advertisement

newstalk is doing a bit on the free bike sceme in a minute, on whether people will use them, i wonder whether they'll mention the problems with the placement etc, i emailed this thread them anyway.

although it might be bumped for mr brennan's death

Guidelines for Accessibility of the Built Environment
    http://www.ncbi.ie/information-for/a...lt-environment
    3. Routes must be kept clear of obstacles to avoid unnecessary hazards
    5. Street furniture should have rounded edges.
    5. Street furniture should have rounded edges.

close up pic
    http://www.archiseek.com/content/showpost.php?p=82888&postcount=322

Fresh controversy erupted over Dublin's "billboards for bikes" scheme after one of the new advert panels became an instant traffic hazard.

The sleek electronic "metropanel" was placed directly in front of a set of traffic lights and pedestrian crossing at a busy city junction.

Dublin City Council has ordered advertising giants JC Decaux to immediately remove the structure that outraged locals and councillors.

Calls have now been made for a halt to all work on the scheme until the newly-erected signs are safety-tested.

The 2.5-metre ad panel at the notorious junction of Dorset Street and Synott Place was one of a series of billboards being installed in a scheme backed by Dublin City Council.

The council has now requested the removal of the offending billboard and JC Decaux has undertaken to do so in the next 24 hours.

obstruction

"The sign was an obstruction to the traffic lights and as such its sitting was not in accordance with the terms of the grant of planning permission at this location", a council spokesman said.

"Recent improvement works along Dorset Street has altered the width and alignment of the footpath at this location resulting in the approved sign, which was erected in the correct location, obstructing views for pedestrians and motorists".

He stressed that a safety audit under the terms of the planning permissions granted is being compiled by JC Decaux and where any sign fails the audit they will be removed.

However, Councillor Emer Costello said: "I am outraged by what I have seen, especially as there has been a huge number of incidents at those particular traffic lights".

JC Decaux proposed funding a free bicycle scheme similar to other European capitals in return for around 150 billboards, though this was later dropped to under 100.

Dublin City Council eventually agreed to 72 sites and some were appealed. In February, An Bord Pleanala overturned permission for 18 billboards, but endorsed six of the 2.5-metre high structures.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/billboards-that-caused-traffic-chaos-1430159.html

*Sigh* journalists...well done for picking it up but the picture doesn't exactly 'tell the story'.

"Sleek"???
    He stressed that a safety audit under the terms of the planning permissions granted is being compiled by JC Decaux and where any sign fails the audit they will be removed.

The point (and the story!) is that the safety audit is only being done AFTER construction.
    erected in the correct location
    No it wasn't
    Dublin City Council eventually agreed to 72 sites

No, they agreed too more - individuals paying almost €300 each in taking it to An Bord Pleanala reduced that number.

Who changed the road layout - DCC, who granted permission. DCC.

Hmmm...excuses.

Again well done OP.Are those black mounts appearing everywhere part of the JCDeaux. There's a few I've noticed, One coming up to UCI, 2 on the road up to the M50 by the Hilton "airport" hotel, One down in Drumconda beside tolka park.

I'll take a pic when i get a chance. I'd say there's a billboard going be attached to them.

Again well done OP.Are those black mounts appearing everywhere part of the JCDeaux. There's a few I've noticed, One coming up to UCI, 2 on the road up to the M50 by the Hilton "airport" hotel, One down in Drumconda beside tolka park. I'll take a pic when i get a chance. I'd say there's a billboard going be attached to them.
    Yes. BIG ones.

PICT0066-1.jpg

There will be an item on this on the Breakfast Show on newstalk tomorrow (Thurs 10th July) at approx 8am.

Please send your comments to breakfast@newstalk.ie or text 53106

Appreciate your further support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

that is shocking

Quite outrageous.... I thats not the only place that kind of carry on exists. Theres a sign down at Sutton cross that obstructs the red lights at a railway crossing

what sort of idiots have we got in this country.... do people now think?

its makes me sick to my stomach

MadsL wrote: »
    Ok Dorset St looks like it is being removed. Now for the next one on Parnell St. This is a poor camphone image but notice the traffic light on the right is obscured except for the red. Which if you think about it means that there is only one effective amber light functioning for the ped crossing. :eek: :eek:

Also any pedestrians crossing behind this sign are hidden from oncoming traffic, the view of drivers turning right out of the carpark is also blocked.

Image008.jpg

Could someone post better pics if they work/live/drive in the area. Thanks.

Also pics needed of the one by the Bleeding Horse.

I noticed that before pretty annoying alright...the mind boogles

a sign down at Sutton cross that obstructs the red lights at a railway crossing

Is this a Decaux sign? Pic would great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

I bet it's internally lit up all night every night.
    Just in case enough rersources weren't already wasted on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement