Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent/Times Exam Diaries (Should be ashamed!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I don't read it actually, I only read that one article and vowed not to do it again.

The fact that people like her exist, though, that pisses me off. She just happens to represent them right now. I'm sure she has some redeeming qualities as a person, and at least she isn't out knifing people, but that kind of mindless materialism is ridiculously damaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

I don't read it actually, I only read that one article and vowed not to do it again.

The fact that people like her exist, though, that pisses me off. She just happens to represent them right now. I'm sure she has some redeeming qualities as a person, and at least she isn't out knifing people, but that kind of mindless materialism is ridiculously damaging.

Yeah it pisses me off ,but as a person i know i'm above begruding people of what they have.I know I dont have as much as her, material wise ,but i have health ,a good personality and a decent attidude and i suspect you have the same.We dont need to lower ourselves to the standard of slaging someone off because of how they appear or how spoilt they are.We need to better ourselves to the point where this sort of injustice washes over us, like water of a ducks back.I am not saying you are not right to feel this way (i agree with you in every single way),but
    arent we not above this .I have just read all of those diary entries and to have her as the spokesperson for a leaving cert candidiate is a great shame. If someone told me it was all fictional ,i would believe it but its not.68000 or sometihng students and they chose her just shows that this paper seems to be in favour of the rich minority ,but i believe to attack someones personality because of something they believe (even though it is superficial)is wrong.

And to be honest ,if thats her attidude i don't see her making a brilliant doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

jennyq wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure any self-respecting female would agree when I can say that I'm as nauseated by the shameless vanity as anybody else :rolleyes: She's really letting the side down with the whole Sex & the City Does the Leaving wannabe thing. I promise that no girl I know is planning her outfit to match her exam (& if we were it would be a far cry from Louboutin stilettos). :p

I have the cutest little beret and scarf ensemble picked out for next year's French I'll have you know...gonna be hard pushed to find lederhosen for German though =/

Piste wrote: »
    I have the cutest little beret and scarf ensemble picked out for next year's French I'll have you know...gonna be hard puched to find lederhosen for German though =/

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:hehe brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Yeah i know what you meant .It's not fair but I think this is turning into a personal attack on someone who is not here to defend themselves.Also if it offends you so much dont read it.There are some people who have life served from a silver but i dont think it's fair ,when this is obviously the papers fault for considering her as the candidate for this task.

Some of it (namely wishing she'll fail) oer stepped the line, but seeing as she has decided to put herself into the national media we've every right to critique her and the absurd nature of much of her articles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Does anyone know where i can see these diaries?

Hopefully in the Irish Times, 2009 :pac:

As the song goes "whats another yeaaaaar"
    If she does become a pain in the hole for next year too, it will all seem much funnier than it did to us. Surprised she hasn't told us how much her pens cost yet.

Shes very very annoying. Somebody else in my class mentioned it today by pure coincidence (something like "did ya see that annoying posh young 'un in the Times?") and it seems shes united the whole LC Yoof in anger. Nice one Laura.

Writing? She's probably got her butler in to scribe for her. Couldn't break a nail now.

@randomchatbox: Yeah, I agree, we should rise above it. *coughs gently* I don't like bearing hatred towards some people, I get frustrated and it's easy to rant, but I'll try to refrain. At least she's not robbing the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Stupid bint'll get a wakeup call if she ever actually gets a medical degree. I wonder how her feet'll feel after doing a 60-hour shift in those $900 shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

She's taking the piss right?

Right?

I'm actually reading it like the Ross O'Carroll-Kelly books -automatically inserting "roysh" and "like" every now and again.. it reads better that way! ;)

Seriously, baroque princess bed.. totally relevant to the leaving cert, clearly.

"I noticed that the civics paper yesterday for our Junior Certs did not even include a reference to Lisbon. So much for topicality." <-- Err, the paper's set way back in.. November, right? Which surely one would know after doing the exams so many times..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bitterstudent

Anyone read it this morning?

more about shoes, tesco, and boyfirends.
    Not too much about the 'A1' french exam, where she wrote about... shoes.
    shoes, shoes, shoes... she also painted shoes for her art practical exam.
    SHOE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Still, I'm very happy with the essay I wrote. In fact, I'm very happy with all 17 pages of yesterday's exam

That outlook sickens me. She honestly thinks that she's guaranteed herself a good result by probably writing an 9 pages essay, 4 page comprehension and 4 page part B.
    That's quite ridiculous given that she clearly isn't that intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

It seems that in every single entry she refers to the high amount of pages she wrote. If she did this last year, and got 545, maybe that was her downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was just thinking about my friend who got 600 first time. He went on to do medicine. He's highly intelligent and studied hard but failed chemistry in first year and had to spend the summer studyin for the repeats. Medicine is not that easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭36Degrees

Don't know if anyone else has posted this already, couldn't be bothered reading through all the posts, but did anyone else notice in her very first diary on the 3rd of June she writes : "My fishes, Oscar and Penelope,....."
    You'd think with the amount of english classes she's had, she'd know when to use fish (plural) and when to use fishes...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 m-i-t-s-u-k-o

Laura Brady Watch:
    No of times Designer names dropped:11
    No of times previous Leaving Certs mentioned: 12
    No of times mentioned of her various outfits:7

No of times mentioned current Leaving Cert:20

I think that sums up my annoyance with her inability to discuss her CURRENT Leaving Cert...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm sorry but today's piece was ridiculous. All that mention of her boyfriend and barely any mention of the actual subject of the piece - the Leaving Cert!

It's great that it's on www.skoool.ie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

"I haven't received much acclaim from my fellow students because they are sensibly interested in their exams rather than mine."

She must have heard about/read this thread!:eek:

"But they asked me about shopping on the Champs Élysées - and that's where I spent mid-term! I simply had to tell all."

I hope she didn't write about that for the Q6 opinion piece on the comprehension cos that'll be -10 as I don't really see how that would fit into any of the essay titles. Unless she wrote about noise pollution on the Champs Élysées?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭littlneutralone

It can't be real, she's taking the whiz :confused:

I'd love to know if she has medicine in UCC or NUIG on her CAO..probably not..'medicine in Trinity' goes better with Louis Vuitton I imagine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 m-i-t-s-u-k-o

Also one would assume that if she didn't get medicine she'd have loads of science courses down behind it to get in rather than Russian French or English!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

Oh Jesus.. reading that blog really makes me want to choke that girl. Such a pretentious bitch...

I haven't received much acclaim from my fellow students because they are sensibly interested in their exams rather than mine.

Yeah thats cuz your article funking sucks. The designer and the Champs Elysees stuff. She seems to take pride in the fact that shes a waster doing the LC for the third time. And that her boyfriend works in Tesco

i mean... who ever thot people would like this? Its got to be one of the editors daughters or something, cuz i dont see how she could have gotten this on merit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

all reminds me of Max Gogarty.
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/travelog/2008/02/skins_blog.html

He's a 19 year old bloke who SOMEHOW(i.e related to a travel writer) got a job with the Guardians travel section. Like Laura, he was twenty miles up his own rear-end, obsessed with yuppie-culture and generally annoying. Completely impossible for anyone to relate with. The blog above (comment section) WILL give you a laugh.
    Thanks Guardian for an insight into the world of skinny jeans and having **** loads of your parents money to blow on 'kooky' trips to India & Thailand.
    I'm sure there are several Guardian employees very much enjoying this thread - another great decision from the top eh guys?

Full credit to Lauras boyfriend though, who is actually working. Only a week or two until he can buy her another pair of shoes :rolleyes: Personally, she's everything thats wrong with modern Ireland if you ask me (based on her ITimes pieces, maybe she's not so 'is this actually a joke on the part of Madame Editor?' in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lobsterstag

it has to be a joke, shes hamming it up so much, i don't buy it!!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

Yeah I was kinda wondering about what she said about writing about shopping in Paris in the French exam. There wasn't any opening for it so I can't see how she managed to. Probably just looking for an excuse to mention it in the column!

Only she knows her own motives but her second choices being so completely different to medicine do seem to suggest that she could be one of many who want to do medicine for the prestige rather than really wanting the career. Then again you would really want to be desperate for the course though to repeat twice.

Oh, just wondering, the thing about her boyfriend finishing & degree & starting another one.....is that normal in other parts of the country or am I alone in thinking "Whaat?" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

I kind of like her piece. =/
    I guess it's unsuitable as an exam diary and all, but I still enjoy reading it.

I think it's understandable to have different choices down. I don't mean to be defending her, but I had Maths first, and Fine Art second for quite a while, and they're pretty different.

BMH
    blue_star_3.gif

Adverts | Friends

EVIL:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭starkinter

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing: what question was appropriate for bragging about shopping in Paris?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

I was just reading her column on skoool.ie, she first did her LC in 2005. When I was in second year!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ciks

Ha! She thinks she's suited to do journalism now because of that column?? She can't even follow the brief. Say she was a journalist - she'd be sent to Iraq to do a piece on war - and would just bemoan the lack of designer shops there in the resulting article...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I actually burst my hole laughing when I read she was considering a career in journalism. The only thing she could actually write would be the d4 diary at the end of the weekend magazine in the Irish Independent. Even then she'd basically just regurgitate the same old thing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement