Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ardmore yesterday

Options
  • 01-06-2008 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what kind of car was involved in the accident with the tractor, yesterday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Why does it matter??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Because I happened to be involved in the most stupid and reckless overtaking manoeuvre that I have ever seen on the road not long before the accident happened. I was simply baffled by how stupid it was.

A blue '01 D A4 TDi overtook me on the white line. He was literally between me and a car going in the oppossite direction. He came from nowhere. I had no time to deal with him and when he shot past me, I thought he was going to take my mirrors with him. The whole car literally shook as he shot past me at about 100mph. There was plenty of room to pull in behind me but he chose to carry on.

30 mins later, there's a fatal crash on the road ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

i dunno man, but maybe he had it coming if it was him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Published in Yahoo news:

"Meanwhile, yesterday a man was killed after the car he was driving collided with a tractor and bailing machine near the Cork-Waterford border.
    The accident occurred shortly before 6.30pm on the N25 at Grange, Ardmore, Co Waterford."

Doesn't say what car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

@ cantdecide, it would be no harm to contact the cops in that area and tell them about your close call, it could be related, then again not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

If he shot by you that quickly I doubt it matters. If you're overtaking its often better to overtake asap and avoid leapfrogging each individual car, as you can minimise the time you spend across the central line.

If it was on continous lines, I would then agree with the OPs comments, its nearly always ill-advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

did the car that overtook you have a passenger? did you see? as in the news report a passenger of the car is in hospital, would also contact the gardai, even if it wasn't the car that crashed, its reckless driving could have contributed to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Seen some tit do this on the way back from Limerick before. Passed a couple of us out dangerously. 20 mins up the road he'd hit into someone who was turning right.

What a muppet.

maoleary wrote: »
    If he shot by you that quickly I doubt it matters. If you're overtaking its often better to overtake asap and avoid leapfrogging each individual car, as you can minimise the time you spend across the central line.

If it was on continous lines, I would then agree with the OPs comments, its nearly always ill-advised.

At that moment we were three cars abreast with the Audi straddling the white line between me and the car going in the opposite direction. I'm assuming that the other car assumed he was about to pull in behind me which would have been the only thing for any reasonable person to do.
    draffodx wrote: »
    did the car that overtook you have a passenger? did you see? as in the news report a passenger of the car is in hospital, would also contact the gardai, even if it wasn't the car that crashed, its reckless driving could have contributed to it

I couldn't see- I tried to get his reg but couldn't see much before he was too far away.

cantdecide wrote: »
    At that moment we were three cars abreast with the Audi straddling the white line between me and the car going in the opposite direction..

That does sound fairly hairy all right. Drivers shouldn't do that stuff to each other. Were you at the head of a queue? How long were there cars behind you (Was there?) and how fast were you going yourself?

Useful questions to get a better picture of the situation

• Advertisement

Very long, straight, wide road with 60mph traffic, including myself, with big gaps between all cars. Ditto the other side- the car on the other side of the road going the other way was the only car over there for a mile ahead or behind.

We were all just pootling along minding our business. I saw a blue car flash into my mirror with more than enough room to pull in behind me but as he pulled in across the white line, he changed his mind with his car halfway across the white line, hit the accelerator again and squeezed in between the only two cars on the road at the time. It all happened in a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

As a coincidence I have just visited our village shop and there was a guy in there talking about the accident. Apparently the car hit the farm trailer that was loaded with big bales of hay, and he hit it so hard that he turned it over. Certainly sounds like your guy alright. I'd go with the others here, tell the Guards about it.

I guess the only good thing to come out of the tragedy is that he killed himself before he managed to wipe out someone's family.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Very long, straight, wide road with 60mph traffic, including myself, with big gaps between all cars. Ditto the other side- the car on the other side of the road going the other way was the only car over there for a mile ahead or behind.

We were all just pootling along minding our business. I saw a blue car flash into my mirror with more than enough room to pull in behind me but as he pulled in across the white line, he changed his mind with his car halfway across the white line, hit the accelerator again and squeezed in between the only two cars on the road at the time. It all happened in a flash.

Yeah, sounds like an idiot. I'd agree with previous posters and let the guards know, even if its unlikely its some useful information for them to have. Might pass it on to Traffic Corps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Seemingly what happened was....the guy was overtaking the tractor/bailor and the tractor decided to turn right without indicating so the car ploughed into him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

jamieh wrote: »
    Seemingly what happened was....the guy was overtaking the tractor/bailor and the tractor decided to turn right without indicating so the car ploughed into him!

Which is why overtaking at junctions is prohibited.

Tractor driver still should have indicated (or maybe the tail lights on his bailer weren't working)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭maidhc

It is spelt "baler".

People do stupid kamikaze things to overtake tractors sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DawnG

Get your facts correct before you speak ill of the deceased.
    The car was NOT a 2001 Audi A4.
    By all accounts, he was blinded by the sun and did not see the tractor indicating (if indeed it was indicating) to turn.

Two young brothers have lost their lives and their family has been destroyed. It was a tragic accident and nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

to be fair, i don't think anybody was speaking ill of the dead, people were just pointing out how dangerously some drivers behave, and they are responsible for a lot of the carnage.... sorry if you knew them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DawnG

they were my cousins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Em nobody was speaking ill of the deceased. He was saying that the driver of the 2001 A4 was a muppet, not the driver of the car involved in the crash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement