Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Accent - opinions?

Options
  • 30-04-2008 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi,

Got an offer to buy a 1997 Hyundai Accent, 87K, 1.3L, Hatchback.
    New Cd Player, brand new Timing belt, brand new clutch, nct 12/08, tax 09/08, recent service and new battery. According to the previous owner its running perfectly. The price is 750 euros.
    This seems like a good price to me.
    What does anybody reading this think?
    I'm no car expert and I'm wondering as a car how are the hyundai accents?
    Anybody have any major problems?
    As its my first car I'm thinking about buying this.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Read what Honest John has to say about it: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=151&

It's a 1.3, so check it has power steering!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

11 years old with 87k? thats suspiciously low, is it?
    I have an '02 and it runs perfectly. No problems with it at all, although, it'd be the newer model from your one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jeapy wrote: »
    11 years old with 87k? thats suspiciously low, is it?
    I'd say low, not suspiciously low!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

My better half had a '99 one, and I have to say it wasn't the worst car I've ever driven. Was the 1.3 saloon (4 door) with power steering and front electric windows.

For €750 with tax, NCT, CD, and all that work done, it sounds like a pretty good deal. And if you damage it, there were loads sold here, IIRC, so relatively cheap 2nd hand parts should be easy enough to find.

Carzone have a couple of '99 ones under €1,000, but they're nearly all high mileage, and probably haven't been looked after the way the '97 one you're looking at seems to have been.

Worst case, if you decide to sell it on again next year, you should still get a couple of hundred euros for it, so it's not a quickly depreciating car!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bstatic

Yeah if I could sell it for 300 euro two years down the line I'd be happy.
    Its been used alot around the city thats why the mileage is low I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have a good mechanic check the car over, if he gives it the thumps up then try and haggle a bit on the price. Cheap way to get on the motoring lader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Had a 1.3 accent coupe myself (98) and sold it about a year ago for E1400 - great car, very reliable and never gave any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

I know a '97 Hyundai Coupe 1.3 now at 110k, things to watch out for would be any rust, around the door, sun roof etc, the sun roof may leak, and one or two instances of clutch slip. But otherwise no expenses or maintenance required in last 5 years other than usual servicing and tires. And oh, they let in a lot of road/wind noise too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Boots09

My sister had a 95 one of these never gave here any trouble her husband is using it now for tippin around at the weekend litterally being driven into the ground and stil goin pretty well with very high milage on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Bstatic wrote: »
    Yeah if I could sell it for 300 euro two years down the line I'd be happy.
    Its been used alot around the city thats why the mileage is low I presume.

If it's been used for a lot of short trips there may be some milky gunk built up under the oil cap. Normally people would associate this with a head gasket problem and shout "Run Away", but it will happen where the runs the car does doesn't allow it to warm up fully, and isn't something to worry about.

If there is signs of this, then get a mechanic to take a look and get a professional opinion rather than an internet one; they'll tell you immediatly whether or not you'd need to worry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

I got a a 00 reg 1.3l 4 door Accent Gold of a guy for less then 1 grand, my first car. 57K on the clock, he was a student so a lot of city driving too. Not long after I got it the MIL came on and stayed on, turned out the oxygen sensors had had it and needed to be replaced car has X2 sensors, wasn't too expensive, a few hundred with labour.

As far as the Accent goes as a first car I find it grand enough. The clutch is quite sensitive which may cause some initial problems if you started driving in a more forgiving car, I did in a Micra, you get used to it though. Accent's roll a bit in sharp turns so watch you're speed ;) I've heard some people complain about road noise in the 90's Accent's but I don't know if that's just the lower 90's models or not. My 00 is very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,820 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Have a mechanic check it out. If he gives you the green light, enjoy bangernomics at its best :D

Advertisement