Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Constant headlight problem

Options
  • 10-03-2008 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a 01 ford focus zetec hb and every 2 months or so the full lights("fulls") on one of the headlights goes. ie the dims work grand for both lights but the fulls on the left headlight seem to go very quickly, what could be the cause of this? Fuse? bad connection? its really annoying me now cos its a pain the ass to change the bulb as it is positioned right in front of the battery.

Henry you ever hear of this in fords?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sounds like a wiring issue. Did you have a mechanic check? What bulbs are you using? Are they graded for that car?
    Henry lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Nope I didnt have a mechanic check yet, was going to wait for next service to do it but damn bulb keeps on breaking! Please excuse my ignorance here but when you say graded for that car do you mean there are different versions of the same bulb for different cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You can get higher power bulbs where its possible that the higher current/heat could be damaging the wiring. Could be something like moisture getting into the headlight cluster or something though. Any sign of the inside of the headlight lens fogging up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Could be an incorrect fuse - too high an ampage or cheap bulbs. Beyond this, you'll have to get a garage to check it out.

Is there a cover over the back of the headlight??

When you buy bulbs they need to have the right wattage etcetera.
    http://myfordfocus.com/underthehood.htm has a section on bulbs
    H4 (9003 and HB2) for ford is a double filament light bulb, where both low beam and high beam are in the same bulb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭GHGW

Just a thought here but do you fit the replacemnt bulbs yourself?

If so do you realise that you should never touch the glass section of the bulb as oils on your skin will leave residue on the glass that can cause it to blow very quickly? If you have been touching the bulb then this may be causing it to blow, maybe the first time teh bulb went was normal wear and tear and since then its gone due to residue.

Just my 2c worth

GHGW wrote: »
    Just a thought here but do you fit the replacemnt bulbs yourself?

If so do you realise that you should never touch the glass section of the bulb as oils on your skin will leave residue on the glass that can cause it to blow very quickly? If you have been touching the bulb then this may be causing it to blow, maybe the first time teh bulb went was normal wear and tear and since then its gone due to residue.

Just my 2c worth

Ok, damnit, I always handle the bulb like a fat man does a cake, thats more than likely the problem then, I didnt realise that. If I wear some sort of glove or wrap it in a tissue or something would that be ok?

As I said earlier, its quiet hard to fit the bulb because of its position so I more than likely cover the thing in hand goo...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Get an auto spark to test the voltage regulator.

Wear any type gloves as long as they are clean and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭GHGW

As above wear any type of glove as long as its clean. I usually use latex disposables and run water over them and dry them off once theyre on to remove any powder/dust. That should work for you. Make sure you are getting the corrct bulbs also and check for condensation on teh inside of the lense now and again. note that if your car has xenon HID bulbs in the cluster they have a tendency to fog up but this is normal, If theer are no xenons and there is condensation then you may have a sealing problem and should go to the garage.

R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭Damien360

tw0nk wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have a 01 ford focus zetec hb and every 2 months or so the full lights("fulls") on one of the headlights goes. ie the dims work grand for both lights but the fulls on the left headlight seem to go very quickly, what could be the cause of this? Fuse? bad connection? its really annoying me now cos its a pain the ass to change the bulb as it is positioned right in front of the battery.

Thanks.

I had the same thing happening on my Mondeo. Used to carry spares all the time, do it still as a habit. Always the kerb side bulb. I eventually found the solution. I changed to a different bulb manufacturer. I presume the ones I had were more suseptible to a bang when I hit a pothole, which tend to be on the kerb side, 9 times out of 10. The poor ones had an eagle on the box, face of the eagle. Cannot remember the name but nearly sure it was eaglehawk. Don't have a box spare to tell you the current make, just the bulb.

Ok guys, thanks for all the help and ideas, Im going to get a new bulb and put it in with gloves and see how that goes, damien, i take your point about the kerb side being subject to most of the abuse of potholes etc and I reckon that could well add to the problem, also GHGW il keep an eye out for condensation in the light just in case.

Advertisement