Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth conference ideas

Options
  • 28-02-2008 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all,

The ministry I work with is currently preparing a youth conference for the Easter weekend. The age group is from about 13 - 23.

I am trying to come up with as many topics as possible for it that are relevant to their age group.

What I have in mind already: True Salvation, relationships (dating), evangelism, depresssion, Christian conduct, dressing etc.

Any ideas you have would be great.

Thanks,

Joe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Drugs, temptation........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭CaptainNemo

Come on man...you're missing the elephant in the room...

SEX

Don't try to euphemize it by calling it "dating" or something. There's no single more important issue you could discuss in order to relate to the age group you're referring to, except possibly drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

A topic I've found to be well worth investing in at youth conferences is the womans role in the church. Unfortunately in recent years our church has seen a lot of young girls turn away from the Lord and on more than one occasion the reason given has been "I cant get involved on Sunday so i dont feel I'm wanted."

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Joseph Reilly

Come on man...you're missing the elephant in the room...

SEX

Don't try to euphemize it by calling it "dating" or something. There's no single more important issue you could discuss in order to relate to the age group you're referring to, except possibly drugs.

We will certainly talk about that. However, I think we really need to look at the things that lead to sex such as relationships. Of course we should discourage blatant fornication like one night stands etc. However, one of the enemy's biggest traps is gradual compromise. A lot of people in the church who end up committing sexual sin often don't plan on it. In fact they don't plan at all, which leaves them wide open to falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Joseph Reilly

keano_afc wrote: »
    A topic I've found to be well worth investing in at youth conferences is the womans role in the church. Unfortunately in recent years our church has seen a lot of young girls turn away from the Lord and on more than one occasion the reason given has been "I cant get involved on Sunday so i dont feel I'm wanted."

Very good idea. Both men an women have parts to play. We must look at the uniqueness Hod has given both the sexes and explore his plans for both in the church. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Hi all,

The ministry I work with is currently preparing a youth conference for the Easter weekend. The age group is from about 13 - 23.

I am trying to come up with as many topics as possible for it that are relevant to their age group.

What I have in mind already: True Salvation, relationships (dating), evangelism, depresssion, Christian conduct, dressing etc.

Any ideas you have would be great.

Thanks,

Joe
    Science. More specifically Darwinian Evolution through natural selection.
    Should Christians:
    1. Accept it.
    or
    2. Misunderstand it.
    or
    3. Something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I think more than anything would be the importance of feeling God's love and giving him praise even when

1. Things seem to be going badly in life, feeling really down
    2. One is feeling like a bad/weak person
    3. One is under pressure.
    4. One's faith is socially unacceptable.

I don't think that most teenagers are emotionally or intellectually ready to really evangelise. These days especially among youth it is a tough-as-nails activity; I wouldn't have been up to it when I was a teenager. I wouldn't include that on the programme.

I think that the role of women in the church is also an important topic to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

I teach kids aged 14-17. I go over foundations, why do you believe what you do? The goal is to have them embrace Christianity for themselves and not just follow blindly because their parents did. Without this foundation no other topic can be embraced as strongly.

The second is to have them discover their spiritual gifts in order to try and discover their role in the body of Christ.

Our youth group covers many of the topics that you have mentioned in the OP. They are discussed from a Biblical viewpoint, but if the kids dont accept teh Bible as being God's word nor know why they should accept it as such, then the discussion of the above topics can become rather moot.

Advertisement