Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance excess

Options
  • 12-02-2008 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was recently in an accident that wasn't my fault, (truck ploughed into the back of me at traffic lights), Anyway I got a call today telling me that the vechicle is a right off and that they are offering me the value of the vehicle minus the excess,

Should I be charged the excess since I wasn't at fault, therefore should it not be his insurance company that pay me the full amount??

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yep. I think you are correct there. How are your injuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Dont think you should be charged the excess, i never was when my last car got rear ended.

Was your accident on the N7 last week sometime in the morning? Saw a car totally wrecked by a truck there at the junction of naas road and long mile road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Yep. I think you are correct there. How are your injuries?

Dont think thats right tbh, just started in insurance and in private person policy's there is always an excess to pay, sure if you arent paying the excess who will?! Iv been dealing with cases like accidental damage and that, the excess is supposedly there to discourage frivelous claims for small amounts that clog up the system, plus it covers the admin behind processing claims. So i think you do have to pay the excess. Could be wrong. Not faimilar with motor claims.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Eh, no. The guy AT FAULT should be paying HIS INSURERS whatever excess exists on his policy.

So I reckon

Your Claim € = His Insurance company € + Excess from him €

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Are you claiming through your COMP? If you are then you will have to pay excess. If your insurance company trys to get this back from the other company then they can request that you get your excess aswell.

Are you claiming through the other persons insurance? You don't have to pay an excess. The other guy doens't have to pay an excess on your payout either, he only has to pay it if he claims himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Darth Maul

Thanks for the advice, had this confirmed that because I am claiming directly through my insurance company that the excess will be taken out until they settle with the other company.

Advertisement