Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rave music against religion?

Options
  • 03-02-2008 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

I am wondering of rave music is against religion because most of it is electronic with no words?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I'm not aware of anywhere in the bible where it states "Thou shalt not rave", and I don't think there's even any mention of electricity, let alone it being wrong, so I think you're all right with your raving.

Then again, I'm not qualified to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Yes, yes it is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This gets my vote for most ridiculous thread ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

well martin luthor probably wouldn't have liked it... but then he wasn't exactly the life of any party

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OP what are you actually trying to say? That just because the music does not have any words, religion should be against it? Traditional Irish session music doesn't have any words, is religion against that?

Perhaps it is because it is 'electronic' and not of natural instruments - so you think religion should be against it because of technology? I won't go on.

Perhaps you meant that the real point that religion (or people in general) might be against "Rave Music" as you call it (I really do not like that term, it has such a horrible connotation to it, I prefer Electronic or Dance Music) because it is generally associated with Drugs such as extacy? We all know this to be true but we also know that Extacy causes a lot less problems in our society than say Alcohol does. Alcohol is synonymous with many sports, should be church be against them too?

It's ridiculous statements like that, that gives religion a bad rep with so many people...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Well rave music is associated with illegal drug taking and immoral sexual exploration .. .as such it is very anti-Christian. On the other hand the it was recently adopted as the official music form of American Atheists ...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 krusty2101

What has religion to do with music? As I see it music makes people universally happy and religion doesn't. Why don't you spend your time practising your religion and let those of us who want to have fun get off our heads.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Cool, looks like the goths and metal-heads are off the hook for a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Zascar wrote: »
    This gets my vote for most ridiculous thread ever.

Once in a while a thread comes along that makes you just scratch you head.

Im scratching my head.

Boards ftw :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There is such thing as Christian rave :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcAd4Btq4t0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

snyper wrote: »
    Im scratching my head.

Boards ftw :D
    That makes two of us:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

I love it! OP this is the most rediculous thread ever, congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Halfdog wrote: »
    I am wondering of rave music is against religion because most of it is electronic with no words?

Oh there's words... if you play it backwards :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Wicknight wrote: »
    Well rave music is associated with illegal drug taking and immoral sexual exploration .. .as such it is very anti-Christian. On the other hand the it was recently adopted as the official music form of American Atheists ...

They have no taste-should play Wagner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

I doubt its against religion but i doubt the pope would be bopping along to it on saturday nights.
    Gotta agree with the lads pointless thread

Evolute wrote: »
    Gotta agree with the lads pointless thread
    Maybe he was on pills when he wrote it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

We have a prayer meeting in our church where we use rave music. It's called 'Alternative Worship' and basically consists of rave music playing while all kinds of psychadelic patterns are projected onto the video screen with passages of scripture superimposed. People stand around in their own space and tend to zone out while they pray and worship God.

It gives me a headache but the kids love it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I like the way the OP seems to think there is one overarching decision making body for religions.

"Put out a statement. Rave? We're against it.

R n' B is quite good, though"

Im sure much of the classical music that was composed during the Baroque period would have been considered as "Rave" to many of the traditionalists at the time. I would consider much of the work by Tiesto and Mauro Picotto as modern day classics. One can still appreciate this music without taking drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Im sure much of the classical music that was composed during the Baroque period would have been considered as "Rave" to many of the traditionalists at the time.
    Indeed. AFAIR, Bach's very limited musical experiments early in his career caused uproar amongst the burghers of Arnstadt who didn't enjoy his unacceptably modern style. Not sure if they thought he was Satan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I'm not aware of anywhere in the bible where it states "Thou shalt not rave", and I don't think there's even any mention of electricity, let alone it being wrong, so I think you're all right with your raving.

Then again, I'm not qualified to comment.

'Tis the lifestyle that surrounds it that is counter to God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

PDN wrote: »
    We have a prayer meeting in our church where we use rave music. It's called 'Alternative Worship' and basically consists of rave music playing while all kinds of psychadelic patterns are projected onto the video screen with passages of scripture superimposed. People stand around in their own space and tend to zone out while they pray and worship God.

It gives me a headache but the kids love it.

rave is inextricably linked with taking pyschotropic drugs, do you give them to the kids too?

PDN = father trendy.

although one can go to a rave without taking any substance its not the same (so I've been told), although maybe late nights are against church teachings too.

rave is inextricably linked with taking pyschotropic drugs
    No more so than watching football is linked to hooliganism.
    PDN = father trendy
    Alas, no. I am distinctly untrendy. However, I believe in allowing others to develop their own initiatives providing they are not inconsistent with Scripture. This was the brainchild of some our youngsters at church and, while not my particular cup of tea, I am delighted that is bringing other young people into the Church where they accept the Gospel.

As for me, I'm much happier sitting at home and reading a book while listening to Little Walter or John Lee Hooker. I guess I'm just old fashioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

SDooM wrote: »

R n' B is quite good, though

No grinding in the church!

PDN wrote: »
    No more so than watching football is linked to hooliganism.
    Hooliganism has no link with the origins of football, psychoactive drugs have a massive link with the origins of rave music. Much of it is/was actually engineered to enhance MDMA highs, it's no coincidence that MDMA and rave music work so well together.

Hooliganism has no link with the origins of football, psychoactive drugs have a massive link with the origins of rave music. Much of it is/was actually engineered to enhance MDMA highs, it's no coincidence that MDMA and rave music work so well together.
    You could say the same about Metal, Rock and Bulmers. :)

Well there's no doubt that the content of many rock songs is based on alcohol, and other drugs, rock music isn't engineered to enhance an alcohol high, or indeed a high from any other drug, whereas rave music generally is.

We use many things in life that originated in dubious circumstances. For example, I love Samuel Coleridge's poem great unfinished poem Xanadu, even though he composed it while he was high as a kite on opium.

• Advertisement

A Christian should know his/her limit with music, i.e. whether it’s participating in a drug fueled rave party or promoting demonic rock and metal.

Advertisement