Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

93 316i Jump Starting & Alarm

Options
  • 13-12-2007 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey all,

This might seem a little bit trivial (or stupid) but I just want to check something. Went to start my car on Monday (pretty cold night) and it the engine just wasn't starting, the instrument panel lights were blinking on & off , the central locking was a bit sluggish so I reckoned it was the battery. Not having another car to jump it off I tried pouring some boiling water on the battery but still nothing.

Anyhow tried to jumpstart it yesterday and while it seemed like the battery was charging, the alarm system came on as we were trying to start it. It being 10pm and the neighbours starting to get annoyed by my rather sick sounding alarm I decided to pack it in for the night!

So a quick question, would it be the kick up the arse the ECU got while jumping the car that set off the alarm or is it more likely that having the bonnet and door open whilst trying to start the engine that triggered it? If that's the case is there a way to jump & turn on the engine without setting off the alarm? Also, given the limited amount of juice in the battery will the system continue to divert any power to the alarm while we are trying to start the car?

:confused:

Ta.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

3sixteen wrote: »
    Hey all,

This might seem a little bit trivial (or stupid) but I just want to check something. Went to start my car on Monday (pretty cold night) and it the engine just wasn't starting, the instrument panel lights were blinking on & off , the central locking was a bit sluggish so I reckoned it was the battery. Not having another car to jump it off I tried pouring some boiling water on the battery but still nothing.

Anyhow tried to jumpstart it yesterday and while it seemed like the battery was charging, the alarm system came on as we were trying to start it. It being 10pm and the neighbours starting to get annoyed by my rather sick sounding alarm I decided to pack it in for the night!

So a quick question, would it be the kick up the arse the ECU got while jumping the car that set off the alarm or is it more likely that having the bonnet and door open whilst trying to start the engine that triggered it? If that's the case is there a way to jump & turn on the engine without setting off the alarm? Also, given the limited amount of juice in the battery will the system continue to divert any power to the alarm while we are trying to start the car?

:confused:

Ta.

Your poured .... boiled tap water all over your battery ..... aww man .. wtf ..

Get a voltmeter and check the battery.

If its low .. either recharge or get a new one, if its over 5 years old its probably time for a new one anyway !

Advertisement