Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE bans the word 'crib' from Christmas advert

Options
  • 07-12-2007 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

On a similar note of trying to remove the Angelus from RTE. It has now banned the word "Crib" to be used in a current Veritas premotion. It wont be long and the word "Christ" and "Jesus" will also be banned except for its use in swear words used in its home produced soaps that it spews out. There is something to be said for having that remote! http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1207/crib.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

What a joke! This is what Christmas is about. It's a Christian holiday. This doesn't help my attitude towards secularization very much.

Hm also didn't know that Veritas were so closely related to the Catholic Church. All our Leaving Cert text books are done by them for RE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Very silly. I don't know why RTE splits hairs over this. Crib is just another word for a baby's sleeping place.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marceldesailly

RTE didnt ban it.just asked Veritas to refer to BCI and confirm that it didnt contravene BCI guidelines.No point RTE being fined or censured for not following guidelines.Might be stupid but might as well add a few other facts to bbc's curtailed report!And dont get me wrong it does seem ridiculous having to refer to BCI over a "crib"

It's pretty hard to ignore the role of Christianity during Christmas. It'd be like ignoring Islam during a Ramadhan advert if there would ever be such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

As marceldesailly points out RTE didn't ban anything, the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland doesn't allow advertising that is specifically "directed towards a religious end."
    BCI wrote:
    http://www.irtc.ie/codes/gen_advertising_code.html
    In addition to other classes of commercial communications, those coming within the recognised character of, or specifically concerned with, the following are not acceptable:
    Advertisements directed towards a religious end. This shall not be construed as preventing the broadcasting of a notice of the fact
    i) that a particular religious newspaper, magazine or periodical is available for sale or supply, or
    ii) that any event or ceremony associated with any particular religion will take place if the contents of the notice do not address the issue of the merits or otherwise of adhering to any religious faith or belief or of becoming a member of any religion or religious organisation.

Basically you can advertise religious notices or event but you cannot advertise religious consumables or products or advertise how great the religion is.

Which I imagine most Christians here would say proper Christians shouldn't be doing anyway.
    Jakkass wrote: »
    This doesn't help my attitude towards secularization very much.

You support secularization?

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    You support secularization?

It doesn't make my view of it anymore favourable, this is rediculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

On a similar note of trying to remove the Angelus from RTE. It has now banned the word "Crib" to be used in a current Veritas premotion. It wont be long and the word "Christ" and "Jesus" will also be banned except for its use in swear words used in its home produced soaps that it spews out. There is something to be said for having that remote! http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1207/crib.html

Sorry but did you read the whole article? Nothing has been banned, even the author used "ban" in the title, not BAN. Rules are rules, the BCI has very clear ones when it comes to religious themed adverstisements.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What is the ad, does anyone know? I'm just wondering how it was phrased that the word crib had to be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

It wont be long and the word "Christ" and "Jesus" will also be banned except for its use in swear words used in its home produced soaps that it spews out.

Hey! Leave Fair City alone!

Talk about an overreaction, nothing was "banned"
    RTÉ's committee advised Veritas to clarify the situation with the BCI.

It also said Veritas could alter the script, which it did, and it was then cleared for broadcast.

RTÉ understands that Veritas did not approach BCI with the matter, and says it continues to be willing to broadcast the original ad if BCI approval is given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Basically you can advertise religious notices or event but you cannot advertise religious consumables or products or advertise how great the religion is.

Which I imagine most Christians here would say proper Christians shouldn't be doing anyway.

Why shouldn't Christians advertise? I think that a few good adverts for churches on TV would be excellent.

I tried to place adverts for church services on a radio station and they said it would be illegal, but it's OK to advertise Irish Psychics Online. Strange.

• Advertisement

PDN wrote: »
    Why shouldn't Christians advertise? I think that a few good adverts for churches on TV would be excellent.

I tried to place adverts for church services on a radio station and they said it would be illegal, but it's OK to advertise Irish Psychics Online. Strange.

Sure then there'd be adverts for Scientology, Islam, Secular Humanism etc as well. Perhaps it is best that it is left out, but I think it's totally extreme removing the word crib during the Christmas period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Sure then there'd be adverts for Scientology, Islam, Secular Humanism etc as well. Perhaps it is best that it is left out, but I think it's totally extreme removing the word crib during the Christmas period.

RTE said to Veritas ; Consult the BCI or remove the word. Veritas did not consult the BCI, instead removed the word. Veritas could have consulted the BCI and for all we know they would have said you can leave the word "crib" in the advertisement. Veritas did not do this. RTE says we are willing advertise the ad if the BCI say its OK, Veritas did not consult the BCI and instead changed the word. If anything Veritas is just being lazy.

I would have no problem with adverts for those ideologies appearing on TV & radio. If they want to advertise, and are prepared to pay for it - fair play to them. In a secular pluralist society you should have the right to advertise - I don't see why religions are discriminated against in this way. RTE etc give plenty of free air time to the Catholic Church, so this legislation effectively banishes religious minorities from the airwaves.

Incidentally the ban only applies to radio and terrestrial TV. It doesn't apply to satellite & Cable TV or to cinema advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

I'm quite sure that there were ads for scientology 3 or 4 years ago.

I remember seeing them on the backs of buses. They said something to the effect of "Looking for answers? Try scientology; we've got them." Not word for word, but that is as I rememner from several years ago.

I wonder what the dilly-o with that was...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I tried to place adverts for church services on a radio station and they said it would be illegal, but it's OK to advertise Irish Psychics Online.

Not in my book it ain't. :mad:
    Distrust of advertising is a whole 'nother topic, though.

They aren't advertising churches. In fact they are allowed advertise churches (as in events that are taking place in said churches)

What they are not allowed do is advertise the sale of items in the promotion of a religion.

"an issue might arise if the BCI considered that promoting the sale of cribs was directed towards religious ends, and therefore prohibited under its code."

"Get your Jesus figures here, 2 for €9.99. Own your very own saviour" Down with this sort of thing. Careful now.

If I had my way it would be illegal to be claim to be a "psychic" for money, let alone advertise as one.

I remember seeing them on the backs of buses.

If they were on the back of buses they weren't covered by the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland.

If they were on the back of buses they weren't covered by the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland.

Ah yes... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I would have no problem with adverts for those ideologies appearing on TV & radio. If they want to advertise, and are prepared to pay for it - fair play to them. In a secular pluralist society you should have the right to advertise - I don't see why religions are discriminated against in this way. RTE etc give plenty of free air time to the Catholic Church, so this legislation effectively banishes religious minorities from the airwaves.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Scientology+Ad&search=Search
    Are you sure you want them on TV?

I'm quite sure that there were ads for scientology 3 or 4 years ago.

Reminds me of the train I was on in Vienna, was an ICE train for Hamburg but I was getting off at Linz, and they had these ads on the brochure saying "looking for meaning in your life etc" and promoting Christianity, I don't see any problem with that at all, and on billboards. I've been personally given leaflets from the Scientology church before also in Vienna actually in the city centre. I just put it in the nearest bin, doesn't bother me much. But yeah there probably were. I personally wouldn't want to see it on TV, but if people want it it's only fair that everyone can put their ad up I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

humanji wrote: »
    What is the ad, does anyone know? I'm just wondering how it was phrased that the word crib had to be removed.

Veritas were advertising that they are selling nativity cribs for Christmas.

Reminds me of the train I was on in Vienna, was an ICE train for Hamburg but I was getting off at Linz, and they had these ads on the brochure saying "looking for meaning in your life etc" and promoting Christianity, I don't see any problem with that at all, and on billboards. I've been personally given leaflets from the Scientology church before also in Vienna actually in the city centre. I just put it in the nearest bin, doesn't bother me much. But yeah there probably were. I personally wouldn't want to see it on TV, but if people want it it's only fair that everyone can put their ad up I guess.

Indeed, I'd personally have a preference to be seeing advertising that's a trying to save my eternal soul than to be seeing ads selling overpriced mammon. But then I suppose one risks going the way america has gone with their, uh, religion...

I suppose you get it for everything though. JW's are still doing the rounds in Lucan trying to talk to people at their doors, apparently. I think it's harmless but TV is just a different level really isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

RTE has really sunk to it's lowest point. Did anyone see that program the other night presented by Anna Nolan about internet sex? Web of desire I think it was called?

They were promoting swinging orgies! What next?

kelly1 wrote:
    RTE has really sunk to it's lowest point.
    They didn't do anything in this case...

Were they really promoting it?

EDIT: http://www.rte.ie/tv/webofdesire/prog1.html Doesn't sound like they are promoting it at all.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    They didn't do anything in this case...

Were they really promoting it?

EDIT: http://www.rte.ie/tv/webofdesire/prog1.html Doesn't sound like they are promoting it at all.
    She certainly didn't condemn it! I suppose condone is a better word but I still think it promotes immorality.

Anna told how welcome and relaxed she was made to feel at the orgy and afterwards said she was exhilirated and needed a drink!

Indeed, I'd personally have a preference to be seeing advertising that's a trying to save my eternal soul than to be seeing ads selling overpriced mammon. But then I suppose one risks going the way america has gone with their, uh, religion...

Given that most of the adverts on RTE are more entertaining than much of their programming, a few church adverts should be an improvement on current religious broadcasting. I suppose it depends if they would demonstrate the creativeness of the Carlsberg ads or the inanity of the dreadful Cilit Bang ads. We could even have some really gory stuff like the road safety ads. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

kelly1 wrote: »
    RTE has really sunk to it's lowest point.

By this non-story or the Internet sex show? If it's the Anna Nolan thing may I direct you to the Angleus thread, everyone there is saying how people can just change the channel... :rolleyes:

toiletduck wrote: »
    By this non-story or the Internet sex show? If it's the Anna Nolan thing may I direct you to the Angleus thread, everyone there is saying how people can just change the channel... :rolleyes:
    Yes of course I can change the channel but people watch it and are influenced subtly by it. It normalizes immorality. Sure everyone's at it, maybe I'll give it a go...

• Advertisement

kelly1 wrote: »
    She certainly didn't condemn it! I suppose condone is a better word but I still think it promotes immorality.

Anna told how welcome and relaxed she was made to feel at the orgy and afterwards said she was exhilirated and needed a drink!

So she described her experience of it and how she enjoyed it. Should said she didn't like it and condemn it just to be in line with your morality?

Advertisement