Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influential Woman of the week..

Options
  • 15-11-2007 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'll get the ball rolling...

Today we'll start with our very own Sinead O Connor

She's a bit barmy, I know, But to rip up a picture of the Pope on National TV in the US takes a lot of Nangers, in my opinion. Keeping in mind, this was all just before it was mainstream worldwide news about the child abuse perpetrated by the Clergy.

Of course there was serious backlash for this 'blasphemous act'
    and Sinead suffered a tirade of abuse from many Americans and Irish. Her career suffered greatly, but this Woman was not afraid to tie herself to the mast and face the storm for her idea of what is right.

It's for that clip of footage from the Bob Dylan anniversary alone, that makes me believe Sinead O Conner is a national treasure and should be cherished. Screw Bono. Yeah the man has done some great things for charity and is in everyones good books, but I have never watched a performance, or heard a speech by him that has sent a tingle down my spine and made me think 'FCUK YEAH!'
    Especially in the face of so many Bob Dylan 'fans' that are booing her for the very reason Bob Dylan became what he is. A person not afraid to speak up for what they think is right. Bloody hypocrites.

She is very controversial, call it attention seeking if you may. The odd time I have cringed to watch her 'Rastafari-ing' about the place, but all of what you may or may not agree with is soon forgotten when she releases her voice to sing. To deny listening to Sinead O Conner and her absolutley hauntingly amazing voice just because you may not agree with her, surely is a sin in itself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Influential Women? Hmmm........struggling........can't think........trick question?...........
    thread dies.............

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Jebus, Sinead O'Connor?

This is some sort of personal fixation Windpipe Windsock. :D

Sinead O'Connor is a muppet, yiz can do better than that! C'mon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What about Oprah?
    Constantly struggling with weight problems.
    Ar$e looks big in everything.
    Loadsa moolah to spend on frocks but nothing ever fits right.
    Probably menopausal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Lads if ye have nothing of value to say about it... ssshhhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Jebus, Sinead O'Connor?

This is some sort of personal fixation Windpipe Windsock. :D

Sinead O'Connor is a muppet, yiz can do better than that! C'mon!!!

Ok, post up a Woman whom you admire beyond her physical appearance then :p

• Advertisement

Hill Billy wrote: »
    What about Oprah?
    Constantly struggling with weight problems.
    Ar$e looks big in everything.
    Loadsa moolah to spend on frocks but nothing ever fits right.
    Probably menopausal.

You're entitled to post up about her if you like, i didnt realise Oprah Winfrey was such an influence on your life, Hilly Billy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

WindSock wrote: »
    Ok, post up a Woman whom you admire beyond her physical appearance then :p

Princess Diana. I have a hell of alot of respect for that woman. I dont think i need to tell anyone what she has done for humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Anti wrote: »
    Princess Diana. I have a hell of alot of respect for that woman. I dont think i need to tell anyone what she has done for humanity.
    Whats that then, taught us not to try outrun the paparrazzi:eek:

I'll nominate Ellen MacArtur

Dont be so ignorant. How about all the chatries she set up for one.

Tell us what ye don't like about our Sinead then? Do you dislike her more than Bono? What do you think of her at the Bob dylan thing?
    Kris Kristofferson is also fab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I don't dislike Bono.

I had to watch that second clip through my hands, she is just cringeworthy.

The only thing she got right is the pope and church are a shower. And she probably
    said it for all the wrong reasons anyway. Then she does the whole 'I iz a priest!' thing.

She is a muppet, of the highest order, as are the people bothering to boo her.

'child abuse - yay-ahh. Sub-human bondage'

er.

Yes she has a good voice if she would only STFU and sing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Mary Harney? crushing the HSE one hospital at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭HAPPYGIRL

Aung San Suu Kyi now theres an iconic figure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Sylvia plath - tragic figure but one hell of a poet. love her stuff. im sure she has influenced more than a few people in her lifetime and still even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Sinead is a goddess.

Disliked and misunderstood by headline readers of male dominated media and women who enjoy fitting into a stereotype that appeals to men.

She has been proven time and time again to be right and ahead of her time and draw attention to issues that people are uncomfortable with.

She has the most incredible voice and beauty.

I wish people in this country would wake up and realise they are sh*tting on somebody who should be treasured. Especially when we revere some people who imo could do with a good sh*tting on.

I suspect the full value of Sinead will be realised when she dies. Sounds crap but most likely true.

Wilburt wrote: »
    Sylvia plath - tragic figure but one hell of a poet. love her stuff. im sure she has influenced more than a few people in her lifetime and still even now.

QFT

Spell charities right and I might not think your just another idiot man

:D

Spell charities right and I might not think your just another idiot man

:D

Like i care what your oppinion of me is !

Jesus!
    Now why did that read differently in the mail I just got :rolleyes:

I don't really come across someone who seek's aproval through what I say on here and I don't know why people would still think that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I was thinking about this Sinead O'Connor thing when i went home last night and I agree with windsock. She may be a bit odd but it did take a lot of courage to stand up for what she believed in, especially as it caused her so mich trouble. I was just thinking about femaile singers today, they're told what to say by PR people and they can't say any controversial. A few years ago the sugababes were spokespeople for the British lottery. A journalist asked one of them did she play the lottery and she said no, I don't. She then confused and looked at a PR/management person next to her and said to him sorry what am I supposed to say to that? The PR person then said, yes I play the lotto whenever I can, and the sugababe repeated that back to the journalist! It was hilarious!

I mean, you'd never see Sinead doing that! The sugababes (as much as I do like their new song!) are terrible role models if they aren't even allowed an opinion. Who are young girls supposed to look up to?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

I know she's very opinionated and vocal about issues that concern her, but what has she actually done about the issues that concern her? Besides talking and ripping up pictures I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Contributed about half her income to various charities. At one stage she gave away a whole house. More than most celebs I can think of, and more than you or I, even in relative terms.

So you could say Sinead has done quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Peared wrote: »
    Contributed about half her income to various charities. At one stage she gave away a whole house. More than most celebs I can think of, and more than you or I, even in relative terms.

Ah right, fair play, didn't know that

She was the first female priest. I know it was mostly to prove a point, but frankly, it was a point that needed proving, in my opinion.
    Also to highlight these things and put her career in jeopardy is quite a feat.
    She could have easily just gone out there winning the hearts and minds of people by going to Africa and shaking hands with a few famine/war/landmine victims, but what does that do really but boost her own profile.
    I just admire her integrity and courage to go against popular opinion and speak out about things that she believes are wrong. To be able to do that as a Woman, especially in Ireland even just 15 years ago must have been extremely difficult, as she must have found it very hard to get support from the majority of the 'Just keep your head down and serve God, your Husband and Gaybo' types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

Anna Politkovskaya has to be one of the bravest women of our lifetime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Politkovskaya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Benazir Bhutto has balls of steell, I have to say!!

How about our 7th President - Mary Robinson...

I'll know what i think of her and what she did for women of this country, this country in general and also in her role as UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.

So what do you guys think of her as a woman of influence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Totally agree I think Sinead O'Conor is totally underestimated but totally and utterly mis-understood. As she puts alot of people off due to her approach.
    If she took a different approach to issues it may be more successful - but big whhhhhhoooooooo for trail blazers. You have to admire anyone who follows through - but didnt think the whole ripping up pope picture was appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I could set up a charity in the morning. Course, just like herself, I'll expect other people to pay into it. And it did more to highlight her, make her look good in her divorce proceedings and prevent a backlash of pro-royal family Britons...

She was a media hungry hoe bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Peared wrote: »

Tax dodge!

Anyway I nominate Kate McCann ... she's been through so much and is so strong!

Advertisement