Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is UCC good?

Options
  • 05-10-2007 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

I'm goin 2 skul up in kildare all my mates r goin 2 dublin but i dont want 2 at all im all about goin 2 cork!!the courses there are savage!!wats it lik so far?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

They might teach you some basic spelling in Cork which would be worth it.

Its a great college, good reputation, good courses and a great college social scene, worth going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya maybe it might be hard to believe from hearing them talk but cork people do actually speak english...

UCC is a great college, hope to be going to there or UL next year myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Whatever you do, don't go to Dublin city.An overpriced dump of epic proportions.

UCC is a fine college, just stop talking like a teenage girl. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Fabio

UCC is probably the best college in Ireland.

Trinity may have a slightly better "name" but when you weigh up the options as regards cost of living, proximity to the city centre, the social scene, the city itself being so walkable and of course a top notch football team in Cork City FC, coming to Cork to go to UCC makes sense.

Hope you get your choice!

Whether oe not its the best college in the republic, and I would hate to think that it was, the library is shocking, some of the staff are a bit clueless and more then a few of the teachers are god awful.

Plus I have 6 essays, a presentation and test all in early-mid December.Which makes me cry.

• Advertisement

I think the library is pretty good...it is undergoing a revamp so it needs time.

To be honest I havent come across any clueless staff though I suppose that will happen in time alright! (If I was still dealing with the English dept we'll say hahahaha!)

Take a trip out to CIT and have a look at their set up as regards computers and library facilties and you'll be thankful for what we have in UCC! Though in syaing that the queses for PC's are still waaaayyy too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

1) The library is a ****ing joke, especially the Arts section, it is so poorly stocked.

2) Half the lecturers are fresh out of masters level and are standing there just reading their notes.

3) All the course material is pitched to the lowest common denominator, i mean everything is dumbed down!

I could go on... UCC is fine, but it aint great.

1) The library is a ****ing joke, especially the Arts section, it is so poorly stocked.

2) Half the lecturers are fresh out of masters level and are standing there just reading their notes.

3) All the course material is pitched to the lowest common denominator, i mean everything is dumbed down!

I could go on... UCC is fine, but it aint great.

Thats basically how I see it. There are various coretexts that aren't even in the library, and just finding a few books and journals takes far too much time

And I don't regret going to UCC, its got a lot of qualities (in general the pupils themselves), but lets not make it into a university its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Fabio wrote:
    as regards cost of living, proximity to the city centre, the social scene, the city itself being so walkable and of course a top notch football team in Cork City FC, coming to Cork to go to UCC makes sense.
    I thought the quality of the course was the most important thing to consider...:rolleyes:

Fabio, don't talk about what you know nothing about. There is never any hassle getting on a computer in CIT. The library is grand.

There are going to be pros and cons for every college and course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

I was in UCD last year but I much prefer UCC! It's such a nicer campus and generally the people are a lot friendlier (and that's saying something because I'm from Dublin!!) Classes are generally smaller in size than up in Dublin too...I went from a class of 280 to 170!

• Advertisement

I was in UCD last year but I much prefer UCC! It's such a nicer campus and generally the people are a lot friendlier (and that's saying something because I'm from Dublin!!) Classes are generally smaller in size than up in Dublin too...I went from a class of 280 to 170!

Thats basically what I was alluding to. The campus always has a nice atmosphere and the people are generally quite nice. Plus Cork city is alright, certainly a helluva lot better then Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Carolus Magnus

Perhaps it was because I was seeking out very specific stuff, but the church history section certainly reinforces that statement. Absolutely diabolical. Nothing but some anti-papal pamphleteering from the 18th century, weighty tomes about Vatican II that appear to go on for far longer than is conscionable, some foreign-language volumes (!), a handful of general histories and a rather eh, populist book about Pope Joan. It could be so much better, and it should be too for something that's at the heart of medieval history.

I plan on basing my history project on the Papacy, so I think I'll have to resort to scavenging the internet for the books I need.

I've definitely noticed that alright. Anyone else here taking HI2100? Christ almighty. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

It all really depends on the course. The engineering section in the library is well stocked and the lecturers are top notch. Haven't a clue about Arts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

D-Generate wrote:
    It all really depends on the course. The engineering section in the library is well stocked and the lecturers are top notch. Haven't a clue about Arts though.

Yeah, engineering and related sciences are well equipped id say. We have Wrixon to thank for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 eihcir23

UCC rocks.

Yes, some of the library is ridiculously biased, other parts are missing really important texts, but its still a great college. Its big enough to be always busy, but small enough that you dont lose people.

Many of the lecturers are extremely good, especially in the later years. Some are terrible, complain about them. If you complain loadly and often enough, they change.

Get involved! UCC has loads of clubs, societies and potentially the Union. Join all three, and stick with what you like most.

Its a friendly campus, its got some of the nicest scenery of any third level college in the country, and its in Cork, which is a wonderful if sometimes annoying town.

But any college is what you make of it, so maybe somewhere else is what you'd like to do.

Law is pretty good, some of Arts (History, English, Economics and Psychology are good, while sociology should be avoided like the plague), Science has some **** lecturers but is good if you persevere (many scholarships), and Engineering is well, engineering.

Medicine and all the health sciences courses are good, and they have spangly pretty buildings and hot girls.

Commerce i would avoid, same with Food Science.

But overall, no matter what you do, UCC rocks.

<end party political broadcast>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

eihcir23 wrote: »
    Medicine and all the health sciences courses are good, and they have spangly pretty buildings and hot girls.

<end party political broadcast>

Thats me sorted if I go for a course in med/ dent/ pharm or occupational therapy!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Someone said that the Pharmacy course in UCC was crap....I'm in it 4 weeks and I think it's great, I'm having no problems with the course either....although the workload i.e Chemistry is something else. Overall UCC is a great campus, much better than UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

eihcir23 wrote: »
    and its in Cork, which is a wonderful if sometimes annoying town.

I think you mean city... :p

Pure Cork wrote: »
    I thought the quality of the course was the most important thing to consider...:rolleyes:

Fabio, don't talk about what you know nothing about. There is never any hassle getting on a computer in CIT. The library is grand.

There are going to be pros and cons for every college and course.

Ok no need to get angry! CIT is a fine place, I have many friends there and we never have the whoole UCC vs CIT arguement so I don't see why we have to have one either.

And yes I have been to the library in CIT and used the computer facilities there and I, personally, do not think they are as good as in UCC. Personally.

No need to go on the the defensive at all.

Pure Cork wrote: »

Outside of exceptional cases there's no point being in a great course if you're quality of life is going to be terrible, especially with undergraduates.

The CIT vs UCC argument is bloody pointless. They're different institutions fulfilling different functions. I'd never go to CIT, simply because the areas I'm interested in aren't done there. Similarly, I've friends who went to CIT able to say exactly the same things about UCC. Sure there's some rivalry but it should be friendly ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

nesf wrote: »
    Outside of exceptional cases there's no point being in a great course if you're quality of life is going to be terrible, especially with undergraduates.

The CIT vs UCC argument is bloody pointless. They're different institutions fulfilling different functions. I'd never go to CIT, simply because the areas I'm interested in aren't done there. Similarly, I've friends who went to CIT able to say exactly the same things about UCC. Sure there's some rivalry but it should be friendly ffs.
    As our Chemistry lecturer noted, you can tell by the way they're dressed that they're in CIT!:D

Ahem, this is the UCC forum. Hence we discuss everything relevent to UCC here, and discuss everything relevent to CIT on the CIT forum. Its not a very tricky concept people.:p

Back on topic if ye don't mind.

There is no CIT forum... :p

nesf wrote: »
    There is no CIT forum... :p

Didn't I just say there was to be no more talk of that other Cork third level institution?

Honestly the incompetence of mods these days...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OP, I had a brilliant time in UCC. It's a gorgeous campus with a great atmosphere, and I'm willing to bet it's far more down to earth than UCD.

One thing: PLEASE don't write your test papers the way you wrote your opening post. You won't have a hope of getting into ANY college if you do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭uptherebels

im in 2nd year ucc and all i can say is the women this year are unreal already bate it into a few of the first years there a lot easier this year than last

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

im in 2nd year ucc and all i can say is the women this year are unreal already bate it into a few of the first years there a lot easier this year than last

The man is correct. Thought there was a lack of hot girls during freshers week but its really picked up lately. Oh to be a fresher again......

already bate it into a few of the first years there a lot easier this year than last
    :eek: Nice...

Very classy!:p

• Advertisement

Yeah, I love the way he gets away with referring to females as if they're pieces of meat - it's as if D-Generate didn't even notice the obnoxiousness of it.
    Imagine if a girl posted "I've already had plenty of first year cock"! She would be absolutely slated!!

Advertisement