Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N4 Mullingar to Rooskey to be Dualled

Options
  • 05-09-2007 10:38pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was down in Mullingar today and saw in a local newspaper that the N4 will be dualled between the end of the existing Mullingar bypass and will run all the way to Rooskey, with new bypasses of Edgeworthstown and Longford.

Apparently construction will happen between 2010 and 2015 and the new road will be built "off line" for reasons of cost and speed. Anyone know anything more about this proposal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

First I'd heard of it, but as a regular user of the N4/N5, bring it on !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

FWIW the Dromod-Roosky stretch currently under construction will be a type II dual carriageway instead of a 2+1 according to an email response I got from the NRA recently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Relevant NRA scheme.

Wonder if they'll eventually continue as far as Collooney to link with the Sligo dualler.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Would make some sense alright. If an M3 to Kells is 'justifed' then surely a dual carriageway to a hub city is warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭SeanW

All I can say is, it's about bloody time.

BTW what does "Offline" Dual carriageway mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

SeanW wrote:
    BTW what does "Offline" Dual carriageway mean?

Building a road "offline" means it's an entirely new road (parallel to/bypassing the existing one), whereas an "online" project would mean upgrading the original road along its present route.

Online isn't done so much now, but an example would be the 2+1 retrofit south of Mallow. Also the N18 from Limerick was dualled "online" for part of it (either side of Bunratty) back in the 70s/80s - the section near Shannon after the Bunratty bypass was upgraded online from dual carriageway to high-quality dual carriageway a couple years ago too - to link smoothly with the Newmarket-on-Fergus bypass. I believe some of the N11 out of Dublin was also dualled online.

Advertisement