Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eazypass on the M4.

Options
  • 27-01-2006 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

If I have an eazy pass transponder and want to avail of the 10% discount for bulk buying passes then I'll have to place it in an electrostatically shielded foil bag to avoid being double-charged.

See letter from NRA below.

Dear XXXX

I apologise for the delay in responding to you on this matter.

Firstly the EazyPass tag is not currently interoperable with the M4 Kilcock-Kinnegad toll system. The NRA is in discussion with NTR regarding the East-Link and West-Link plazas with the objective of those older non-PPP plazas coming into the interoperability arrangements and anticipates this will occur ensuring a seamless national service to electronic tag users. NTR are currently upgrading their toll systems with the objective of facilitating interoperability.

As such as EasyPass tags are not currently interoperable with the M4 toll plaza, they are not on any M4 ETC tag list. This means that if you arrive at the M4 facility you cannot use an EazyPass tag as it will not be read. This facilitates your use of the discount card if this is your preferred payment means.

Upon the EazyPass tag becoming interoperable with the M4 facility it is the case that the ETC beacons will automatically read the tag. If the tag is a valid one, the lane will automatically authorise the transaction, which will be automatically charged to the user's account.

If, on NTR becoming interoperable, an M4 user's preferred payment means is through cash or a discount card rather than ETC the user will have to shield the Eazy Pass tag during his/her transactions through M4. I understand the foil bag in which the ETC tag is first provided to a user is an appropriate shield.

I hope this addresses the query you raised and again I apologise for the delay in responding.

Waterloo Road
    Dublin 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Digging up my own thread here.

EazyPass now works on the M4.

What I did notice about it is that it appears to register my tag faster at the M4 toll booths than it ever did at the M50 and I was able to drive through the booth without actually physically stopping on account of the barrier dropping.

I'd like to know if other people find that eazypass works better for them on the M4 than on the M50.
    Obviously at €2.60 a go I'm not looking to test it myself too often.

If others find that the eazypass works better on the M4 than on the M50 I propose we formulate a conspiracy theory along the lines of NTR decided to drop the toll barriers for every car passing through to intentionally slow traffic and force the government to pay them near 500M euro for the concession.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

I havent used the express lane on the M50, but I have on the M4 and M8 and in both of these you just have to slow to 50kmph and while you are maybe 50-100 meters away the green arrow should light over the lane and the barrier raises. You never have to stop.
    If there's another car in front of you, you need to keep a distance.

Do you actually have to stop on the M50? Thats kind of stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

giveth wrote:
    Do you actually have to stop on the M50? Thats kind of stupid!
    Yeah, you have to pretty much stop - as shown in the Flash animation at the bottom of the EasyPass site :p .

• Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It just might be that the M4 equipment is stronger / has a better reception and works at a longer range.

Or that NTR bought the cheapest kit going.

Advertisement