Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barber Shave

Options
  • 02-12-2006 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hello Peoples,

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a shave from a barber using a proper old school straight razor in the city centre?

I am thinking about buying a straight razor as everywhere I look the reviews are fantastic but good ones are damn expensive so I thougth I would see what the results are like first. I know know I have to bear in mind the results will be from the hands of a seasoned professional but at lest I will get an idea of just how good the shave can be.

Also just out of curiosity is anyone using an straight razor or perhaps an old school safety razor with the double edged razor blade or a feather razor?

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

And why is this a personal issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Fashion/Appearance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

go for the Waldorf Barber, on westmoreland st, it's downstairs next to the entrance to the bridge pub, proper old school barber shop, you can even get a Pakistani head massage too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

the grafton barber.. on grafton street.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

PDD wrote:
    Hello Peoples,

I am thinking about buying a straight razor as everywhere I look the reviews are fantastic but good ones are damn expensive so I thougth I would see what the results are like first. I know know I have to bear in mind the results will be from the hands of a seasoned professional but at lest I will get an idea of just how good the shave can be.

Also just out of curiosity is anyone using an straight razor or perhaps an old school safety razor with the double edged razor blade or a feather razor?

Dave

Hi Dave

Firstly go out and buy "Sharp Practice" by Anders Larsen Just published about 15 euro and reviewed on the Gerry Ryan Show. Search Gerry and "Sharp Practice"

Had been toying with the idea of getting a straight razor for some time and this book hit the shelves at the right time just for me.

Prob like you I had been doing my research and I came across this guy mentioned on a lot of the shaving boards (sorry dont have the links)

To cut it short:D I just finalised my purchase from him a few days ago, I did upgrade on his started packages and am quite happy with my chosen purchase. I basically got the super starter set with both a hanging and paddle strop, but upgraded the razor and the strop. They are being sent this friday so its the wifes christmas present to me.

http://www.thewellshavedgentleman.com/

I will let you know how I get on and am prepared for the learning curve, Pals think I'm mad others are interested in purchasing also after reading the book.

Anyway will keep you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JuiceC

Hi Dave,

The best traditional shave I've had was in Knights in Stephens Green SC and the best razor I own is the Merkur Futur double-edged one I bought for about €50 on 4men.ie. Try it with the proraso shave cream you can buy in Knights and you will have the barber shop effect every morning;)

Advertisement