Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] NRA expects port tunnel to be ready for use by summer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Not for a few years. Phase 1 of the M50 upgrade (started already) only covers from the Naas Road to the Lucan Road.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

The incident on East Wall Road did not involve a HGV overturning

A large cherrypicker was being driven up on the back of a truck when the cherrypicker overturned onto the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

jd wrote:
    What exactly happened today? I wonder what the economic cost of these two incidents are? There is no excuse for overturning a HGV. THe driver should lose his licence.

thats a bit harsh...accidents will happen and I think HGV drivers have a much better record than car drivers.... bear in mind it isnt always the truckers fault...he could have been swerving to avoid a hazzard or anything...(having said that, we saw an HGV near Ballina yesterday had run off road,down a slope and neatly through a gate into a field and was sat there straight and upright as if the driver had parked it there.....dunno how they will get it out......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

according to the "Metro" today there will be a night-time toll on the tunnel of €3 (in addition to the previously announced peak\off-peak tolls of €12\€6)

bit of a cheek IMO - the toll is supposedly there to discourage cars from clogging up the tunnel - this isn't going to happen at night anyway so it should be toll-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

loyatemu wrote:
    according to the "Metro" today there will be a night-time toll on the tunnel of €3 (in addition to the previously announced peak\off-peak tolls of €12\€6)

bit of a cheek IMO - the toll is supposedly there to discourage cars from clogging up the tunnel - this isn't going to happen at night anyway so it should be toll-free.
    Totally agree. The tunnel route would keep private cars off city streets at night and thereby those surface streets would be statistically safer for pedestrians using them. Another victory for road safety, not.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Slightly OT, I wonder will there be a U-turn facility at the port end before the toll booths. I'd like to take a spin through this marvel of engineering but not for €12 or €3 if it means getting up at 3am to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just hire a bus bring a dozen of us along and there will be no toll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I've just decided the port tunnel can't open up soon enough.

It's a lovely sunny day and I'm sat outside on my balcony with my new wireless lappie and I'm overlooking the Chapelizod bypass. Without so many passing trucks it will be even nicer here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

BendiBus wrote:
    I've just decided the port tunnel can't open up soon enough.

It's a lovely sunny day and I'm sat outside on my balcony with my new wireless lappie and I'm overlooking the Chapelizod bypass. Without so many passing trucks it will be even nicer here!

I live by Capel St. Bridge. You have no idea how much I want the tunnel. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

paulm17781 wrote:
    I live by Capel St. Bridge. You have no idea how much I want the tunnel. ;)

I used to live on Arran Quay by Church St Bridge. I feel your pain ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

MT wrote:
    Anyone know what date has been penciled in for work to commence on the flyovers at the M50/M1 junc. or what will now be the M50/M50 junction?

So it seems when the tunnel is opened and the M1 from the M50 to the tunnel is also called the M50; the M50 will have 2 tolls and a traffic light controlled roundabout on it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Does the NRA still expect the port tunnel to be ready for use by winter 06?
    I have nothing since an anouncement a few weeks back to say that there would be an announcement in two weeks on from that date:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Don't some tunnels get closed by winter snow?

Advertisement