Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threatened Ryder Cup taxi strike??

Options
  • 04-09-2006 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

<Move if necessary>

What do ye make of this crap.

My best friend's dad has been driving a taxi for about 3 years now and has now just bought a taxi firm. That sends me the message that taxi drivers are far from the poverty line, which he would tell you himself.

My dad did taxi driving on the side a few years back to pay the bills and it worked out very well apart from the fact he was working 7 days a week.

There are drivers in ranks all over the country with 2.4l petrol Camrys, LS400s, S320s and the like...if they can maintain these there is no reason why other driver's can't.

If they do strike; I appeal to every private bus company in the country to converge on Kildare and Dublin which will most likely be the centre of the strike and provide the travelling tourists with a top class service from hotel to K Club and vice versa and from Dublin Airport to the city centre as they do already.

This debacle is an absolute disgrace...get over the damn thing...take the change like everyone else has to; and cop th fu<k on.

What's the best way around this 11 votes

Public boycott
    0% 0 votes
    Private bus companies
    72% 8 votes
    Let anyone take a fare for the duration (I'm sur the dept.. Tourism etc would welcome this)
    27% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I have no time for taxi drivers, they make alot of money and most of it untaxed I'm sure. Anyone who can charge up to €10 for 10 minutes work isn't going to be poor, its not exactly minimum wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Moved to Commuting/Transport

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Trust the taxi drivers to put a downer on an event like the Ryder Cup.

Personally, I've no interest in Golf but I do appreciate how big the Ryder Cup is and I think Ireland could benefit from it in a big way. The last thing thats needed is taxi drivers making a holy show of the country. But when did taxi drivers ever think of the bigger picture? Always thinking of themselves, as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I posted a thread in consumer issues a few weeks ago calling for a public boycott of taxis, they held the public to ransom yesterday with a strike and are going to do the same next monday.
    i refuse to use taxis and it amazes me that the public seem to be putting up with their now almost weekly strikes.

enough is enough, the public should boycott them

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Im a taxi driver and guys guess what....I totally agree with you

The thing is is that its those bloody old timers in the Unions that are trying to get attention by stamping thier feet and making alot of noise like a spoilt child.

IMHO they are an embarassment to the business....the new rules the Taxi regulator is bringing in are soley designed to make the business more honest and professional,and your correct when you say Taxi drivers rake it in...of course they do...but they do have to work Friday and Saturday nights to make any sort of decent money. If I put it you like this....how much would you expect to earn for working a 12 hour shift on a Sat Night??.....I dont think youd do it for €80 eh?? I earn a decent buck for a decent bit of work....we pick u up at three in the morning and drop you to your front door safely. Its getting to be a dangerous job...on average six taxi drivers are assaulted every week in dublin.

I really hope the majority of Taxi drivers in Dublin dont fall for the stupid scare mongering tactics of the Unions and go out there and provide a good decent service for the public during the Ryder Cup.

The Ryder Cup coming to Ireland is not just about the couple of days its going on for but its an advertisment for the country aswell.I reckon its a huge privalage for the country to host an event that is considered the the top event in the whole sport of golf.

anyway thats just my 10 cents worth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Good points well put Kaiser, who would like to work on Friday/Sat ( or any other night ) picking strangers up , who may be drunk/spaced or whatever.

The new regulations I feel will tidy things up for the consumer and also for the drivers.

BTW , I have no connection with the taxi trade except as a customer

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The Ryder Cup is overrated tbh.

I call it a storm in a teacup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

They wont strike then, too many gullible American tourists with fat wallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Point taken on the shifts, but it's part of the job, just the way security guards do 12 hour shifts in general, but get the days off afterwards.

When my dad did taxi a few years back asmentioned above, he left home at 7:30 and got home at 6:30 monday to friday, Picked up the taxi friday night worked 9-1/2. 4pm-3/4am Saturday and until about 12 sunday night.

It's a flexible job that can cater for the varying bill paying needs of it's employees

Advertisement