Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please on a FTV installation

Options
  • 26-05-2005 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

Sorry for such a non techy question but would appreciate a bit of advice...My mother who's moving to an area where there is no NTL has asked me to look into this for her and having done a bit of looking around on this forum/google etc i'm still left with a couple of queries...

The package she is looking at getting is a FTV installation for €350 (equipment) and approx €100 installation, this includes a UK ITV FTV card for UTV/CH4 etc. My query is this, bearing in mind that she's only had NTL basic cable up to now and has had no problems finding channels etc, can anyone confirm what the set up is like for a FTV package eg is it difficult changing between channels encoded for the FTV card and then the channels that are FTA.

I'm wondering is there a similar arrangement as the Sky TV guide...I know she used NTL digital guide for a while but found it a bit awkward so dont want her to be stuck with approx 100 channels and no clear way to navigate through them.

She's under the impression this will be a better deal in the long run than just a standard sky subscription and on paper it certainly seems that way, just dont want her to get it and find that its incredibly difficult to use compared to Sky which is fairly user friendly.

Thanks for any feedback from anyone with a similar setup! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Heinz

Seems a bit on the expensive side to me but, of course, the £150 including FTV card http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/ offering is for the UK only so I'm not comparing oranges with oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

I think the card being included is being sold for approx €125 so means equipment is working out at about €225...would this be excessive??

Appreciate the info if so..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

samo wrote:
    I think the card being included is being sold for approx €125 so means equipment is working out at about €225...would this be excessive??

Appreciate the info if so..

Sounds about right for equipment but expensive for card with no guarantee, these cost 20stg

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Heinz

Tony wrote:
    Sounds about right for equipment but expensive for card with no guarantee, these cost 20stg
    Which, using a tourist rate conversion, is €27.80 - which makes €125 quite a good mark-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Heinz wrote:
    Which, using a tourist rate conversion, is €27.80 - which makes €125 quite a good mark-up!

Not bad at all for someting without a warranty :)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

Thanks for the advice guys, decided to pass on this option and got a Sky FTV card card off ebay (please god it works!!!!) for approx €60 and am going with a regular sky installation off a local installer which can be done in 5 days after viewing card arrives ....she doesnt want to be without ITV/C4 until October (Thats if it comes on air then)

Appreciate the confirmation that the above €360 deal wasnt such a great buy :)

Advertisement