Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2005 - The Nominees Announced

Options
  • 26-01-2005 2:35am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well it's that time of year, and here are the nominees (I'm sure they'd have been posted earlier but for the little hiccup with the DB):

Best Picture
    # THE AVIATOR
    # FINDING NEVERLAND
    # MILLION DOLLAR BABY
    # RAY
    # SIDEWAYS

What I think: Where's Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, hmm? Regardless, only seen Finding Neverland here so don't feel fit to judge on who should win.

Achievement in Directing
    # THE AVIATOR
    # MILLION DOLLAR BABY
    # RAY
    # SIDEWAYS
    # VERA DRAKE

What I think: Where's Gondry for ESotSM? Or Mann for Collateral hmm? *Sigh* Only seen 'Vera Drake' of these lot and doesn't strike me as a "give them the Oscar" type.

Best Actor in a Leading Role
    # Don Cheadle - HOTEL RWANDA
    # Johnny Depp - FINDING NEVERLAND
    # Leonardo DiCaprio - THE AVIATOR
    # Clint Eastwood - MILLION DOLLAR BABY
    # Jamie Foxx - RAY

What I think: Guess what. Only seen one performance - but give it to Depp anyway just because he lost out last year. And would've been nice to see Carey get one but ESotSM didn't seem to make much of an impression on the Oscar voters.

Best Supporting Actor
    # Alan Alda - THE AVIATOR
    # Thomas Haden Church - SIDEWAYS
    # Jamie Foxx - COLLATERAL
    # Morgan Freeman - MILLION DOLLAR BABY
    # Clive Owen - CLOSER

What I think: Foxx in "Collateral" was good, but didn't wow me. Maybe Alda will do better when I see "The Aviator" tomorrow...

Best Actress in a Leading Role
    # Annette Bening - BEING JULIA
    # Catalina Sandino Moreno - MARIA FULL OF GRACE
    # Imelda Staunton - VERA DRAKE
    # Hilary Swank - MILLION DOLLAR BABY
    # Kate Winslet - ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND

What I think: Nice to see Winslet get a nod. Staunton was excellent in 'Vera Drake' but I doubt she'll win. Mean to check out 'Milion Dollar Baby' in the next week for a more informed opinion. AFAIK 'Being Julia' and 'Maria Full of Grace' haven't got a release here yet.

Best Supporting Actress
    # Cate Blanchett - THE AVIATOR
    # Laura Linney - KINSEY
    # Virginia Madsen - SIDEWAYS
    # Sophie Okonedo - HOTEL RWANDA
    # Natalie Portman - CLOSER

What I think: Ain't seen any of these yet... no real opinion on this category...

Best Original Screenplay
    # THE AVIATOR
    # ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND
    # HOTEL RWANDA
    # THE INCREDIBLES
    # VERA DRAKE

What I think: Bit better here. ESotSM and 'The Incredibles' both nominated. Hopefully ESotSM will win.

Best Adapted Screenplay
    # BEFORE SUNSET
    # FINDING NEVERLAND
    # MILLION DOLLAR BABY
    # THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES
    # SIDEWAYS

What I think: 'Before Sunset' to win. Please.

Best Foreign-Language Film
    # AS IT IS IN HEAVEN
    # THE CHORUS
    # DOWNFALL
    # THE SEA INSIDE
    # YESTERDAY

What I think: None of these reached my attention this year (although 'The Sea Inside' is yet to come at least). Would've liked to have seen 'The Return' up here but maybe it didn't get a US release.

Best Animated Feature Film
    # THE INCREDIBLES
    # SHARK TALE
    # SHREK 2

What I think: The only category to reflect the Boards Film Awards 2004 :D If 'The Incredibles' doesn't win, then there's bribery afoot.

Achievement in Art Direction
    # THE AVIATOR
    # FINDING NEVERLAND
    # LEMONY SNICKET'S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS
    # THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
    # A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT

What I think: Not really qualified on this but then again the voters aren't either. 'Finding Neverland' was pretty. Let's vote for that.

Achievement in Cinematography
    # THE AVIATOR
    # HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS
    # THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST
    # A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT

What I think: Where's 'Collateral'? Only seen 'The Passion of the Christ' here. Good enough but I'd have to see others before passing my uninformed judgement.

Achievement in Costume Design
    # THE AVIATOR
    # FINDING NEVERLAND
    # RAY
    # TROY

What I think: Ehh 'Finding Neverland'. Because...

Best Documentary Feature
    # BORN INTO BROTHELS
    # THE STORY OF THE WEEPING CAMEL
    # SUPER SIZE ME
    # TUPAC: RESURRECTION
    # TWIST OF FAITH

What I think: Firstly, in case anyone's wondering the reason 'Fahrenheit 9/11' isn't here is because Moore didn't enter it for submission in 'Best Documentary' and instead put it forward for 'Best Picture' - a gamble that backfired. As it is, I'd like to see 'Super Size Me' win here and predict that it will.

Best Film Editing
    # THE AVIATOR
    # COLLATERAL
    # FINDING NEVERLAND
    # MILLION DOLLAR BABY
    # RAY

What I think: Well mycroft might have the best idea here but let's give it to 'Collateral' for my own self.

Achievement in Makeup
    # THE SEA INSIDE

What I think: 'The Passion of the Christ' for its realistic depiction of how to brutally torture someone will probably win. Nice.

Best Original Score
    # FINDING NEVERLAND
    # HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
    # THE VILLAGE

What I think: I liked the compositions of 'Finding Neverland' so I hope it wins. None of the rest particularly stuck in my head.

Original Song
    # "Accidentally In Love" - SHREK 2
    # "Al Otro Lado Del Río" - THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES
    # "Believe" - THE POLAR EXPRESS
    # "Learn To Be Lonely" - THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
    # "Look To Your Path (Vois Sur Ton Chemin)" - THE CHORUS

What I think: Absolutely nothing...

Achievement in Sound Mixing
    # THE AVIATOR
    # THE INCREDIBLES
    # THE POLAR EXPRESS
    # RAY
    # SPIDER-MAN 2

What I think: Errr does anyone know much about these categories? Umm 'The Incredibles' because it's good...

Achievement in Sound Editing
    # THE INCREDIBLES
    # THE POLAR EXPRESS
    # SPIDER-MAN 2

What I think: Umm 'The Incredibles' again...

Best Visual Effects
    # HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
    # I, ROBOT
    # SPIDER-MAN 2

What I think: 'Spider-Man 2' should probably win here after a big improvement on the first. The others had a few too many ropey scenes to win IMHO.

Best Documentary Short
    # AUTISM IS A WORLD
    # THE CHILDREN OF LENINGRADSKY
    # HARDWOOD
    # MIGHTY TIMES: THE CHILDREN'S MARCH
    # SISTER ROSE'S PASSION

What I think: Ain't seen any of them, so I think nothing...

Best Animated Short Film
    # BIRTHDAY BOY
    # GOPHER BROKE
    # GUARD DOG
    # LORENZO
    # RYAN

Best Live-Action Short Film
    # EVERYTHING IN THIS COUNTRY MUST
    # LITTLE TERRORIST
    # 7:35 IN THE MORNING
    # TWO CARS, ONE NIGHT
    # WASP

Overall: ESotSM is the biggest omission to my mind and - judging by the Film Awards - to everyone elses too. Oh well. I can safely say that I won't be watching the Oscars live this year but do hope to catch about 3-4 of the big hitters in the next few weeks. FYI a number of them are currently screening in the likes of UGC: 'Vera Drake', 'The Aviator', 'Ray', 'Closer', 'Million Dollar Baby' , 'A Very Long Engagement', with 'Sideways' joining them on Friday. Time to get to the cinema.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I hope Jamie Foxx gets one - he deserves it - was great in Collateral.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

The foreign film nominations are interesting. None from Asia or South America and check out the film Yesterday on IMDB. It has something like a massive 34 votes which garner only a massive 3.9 on it's richter scale. Surely they could have come up with something better.

A couple of the big foreign films like Motorcycle Diaries weren't eligible for some reason. Anyone know why?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For inciting Communism?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Surely Jamie Foxx is the main Actor in Collateral - not the supporting Actor.

Best Original Score category looks very weak this year - nothing stands out at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think its a disgrace that eternal Sunshine isn't in the best film category. Its much better than the Aviator which I enjoyed but it wasn't anything special.

I would have liked to see save the green planet somewhere in the nominations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Is it just me or do the nomination every year seem to be the films released within about 6 weeks of the oscars??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MariaRyan

Well, those clever Americans have it all worked out -

They release their big movies right before Christmas to take complete advantege of the Christams holiers and then the deadline for Oscars is Christmas week so when it comes around to the nominations all those movies are fresh in the Academy personnel's heads -

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Raoul Duke wrote:
    A couple of the big foreign films like Motorcycle Diaries weren't eligible for some reason. Anyone know why?
    Not sure. I know each country can only nominate one movie in the Best Foreign Language Film category - maybe they nominated something else? That happened to "City of God" IIRC - it got passed over in favor of putting forward "The Crimes of Father Amaro" (or something) instead. They may have decided not to put it forward if they felt that the communist tinge wouldn't work in their favour.

ixoy wrote:
    Not sure. I know each country can only nominate one movie in the Best Foreign Language Film category - maybe they nominated something else? That happened to "City of God" IIRC - it got passed over in favor of putting forward "The Crimes of Father Amaro" (or something) instead. They may have decided not to put it forward if they felt that the communist tinge wouldn't work in their favour.

Quote from Michael Dwyer in today's Irish Times: "Three of the strongest likely contenders were deemed ineligible in this category - Bad Education, A Very Long Engagement and The Motorcycle Diaries"

Found this quote about The Motorcycle Diaries on the web as well: "It has not and will not be submitted in the Foreign Film Category. Those submissions were closed on October 1. Motorcycle Diaries has three U.S. Production Companies and opened in the U.S. to a paid audience. Despite the fact it is in Spanish with sub-titles, it is open for nomination in the Best Picture category."

I read someone else saying that the Academy were reviewing how foreign film are nominated. That probably gets said every year though. It's the only category that holds the slightest bit of interest for me as the rest is just Hollywood licking it's own ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Clint for the actor / director double!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I'll be seeing Sideways on Friday (as well as Meet The Fockers). It's supposed to be good. I hope it is as then I'll have a film I can route for (and a good Friday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

This eternal sunshine bandwagon should be taken off the road!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Motorcycle Diaries has three U.S. Production Companies and opened in the U.S. to a paid audience.

Does this mean they had to pay people to watch it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

I wonder why Eternal Sunshine hardly any nominations......
    oh yeah, that's why, it's sh*t
    :D

I would've nominated The Incredibles for best picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I'm a little disappointed that the Incredibles wasn't nominated for "Best Art Direction". I guess this is either due to the high level of the competition (Lemony Snicket should win imho, but probably won't), or perhaps the idea of an animated movie getting an 'art direction' nomination struck the voters as a tautology.

Still - all the blatant oscar-pandering guff got nominated, so fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

ObeyGiant wrote:
    I'm a little disappointed that the Incredibles wasn't nominated for "Best Art Direction". I guess this is either due to the high level of the competition (Lemony Snicket should win imho, but probably won't), or perhaps the idea of an animated movie getting an 'art direction' nomination struck the voters as a tautology.

Still - all the blatant oscar-pandering guff got nominated, so fair play to them.

AT LAST!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I have seen all the films for best film and I think none of them are that special. TBH I think the oscars are a joke now and arnt really worth the nuts anymore. Some seriously bogus nominations there.

In my opinion Troy deserved more nominations then best wardrobe, and if it doesnt win that then its a sham. What is the cut date for films to be nominatied? If I'm served correctly aviator was on the same release time if not after alexander. I beleive alexander had one of the best fight scenes of al ltime, done through cinematography and graphics, yet no nomination.

A very long engagement better win that cattegory. It is a tremendous film. It tells the story of some french soldiers tossed into no mands land during world war 1 for mutany and tells of them, truly great film

There has been less then impressive films released so far this year and last year. But of the ones that were good, few have made it into these oscars. The only films that get oscars are mushy pieces of rubbish, all about love and crying and what not. The most enjoyable film of last year had to be Troy, I actually cant even remember any other good films that were out, refresh me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

fade2black wrote:
    AT LAST!!
    Whuh? Am I missing something?

The most enjoyable film of last year had to be Troy

You are joking aren't you?

The Oscars Are A Joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

The most enjoyable film of last year had to be Troy, I actually cant even remember any other good films that were out, refresh me please.

I wouldn't say it was the best but it was a great film. It was a pity that it got a lukewarm reception from the critics.
    I don't see what all the hype about Collateral was for either. It seemed kind of .....I don't know...empty to me.

The Incredibles had it all. That scene where they were chasing that Dash kid around the island was the best cinema moment I've had in years. Even the second time I saw it, it was very exhilarating.

Other good films of 2004:
    Bad Santa
    The Aviator
    Napolean Dynamite
    The Day After Tomorrow.....\
    The Chronicles Of Riddick.....|--- If you're a blockbuster fan like me :D
    Van Helsing....................../
    The Village
    Spiderman 2
    The Bourne Supremacy
    Starsky And Hutch
    Dawn Of The Dead

I thought 2004 was a great year for films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

ixoy wrote:
    Achievement in Cinematography
    # THE AVIATOR
    # HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS
    # A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT

What I think: Where's 'Collateral'? Only seen 'The Passion of the Christ' here. Good enough but I'd have to see others before passing my uninformed judgement.

I could be wrong and this is just a guess is collateral was shot on digitial video. There could be a technical reason why the film was rejected. I'm surprised it is one. Of the three. AVLE is very very stylish like the directors and and his long time colaberate DoP. Ditto house of Flying daggers. And the Aviator. Apparently Sorcese attempted to re create the old two tone (rather than the three tone we're used to) cinemtographry of earlier low budget technicolor. Saving Private Ryan scoped up a the oscar because it's DOP using a razor blade to scrap off the filters on lens to achieve the old fashioned look of the film, so that kind of flash attention to detail is always appreciated.
    Best Film Editing
    # THE AVIATOR
    # COLLATERAL
    # FINDING NEVERLAND
    # MILLION DOLLAR BABY
    # RAY

What I think: Well mycroft might have the best idea here but let's give it to 'Collateral' for my own self.

To my mind it's a two horse race. Firstly any member of the academy votes on the technical oscars therefore Cuba Gooding Jr has a vote on best visual effects, and editing and his vote is equal to say walter murch (quadruple editing oscar winner).

Collateral is the kind of film everyone walks out of going "the editing rocked" it's slick and stylish and in your face (similiar to black hawk down which picked up the oscar for pedro scalla a few years ago) so it's my fore runner.

However the aviator is edited by Thelma Schoonmaker Scorcese's long term partner (she's cut every one of his movies since mean streets) if the aviator makes the clean sweep it could pick this up,

Achievement in Sound Mixing

Achievement in Sound Editing

Best Visual Effects

I can of think spidey will grab most of these. The sound editing in spidey was just great (just think in the cinema how they used dolby to have him sweep from behind you onto the screen) and like everyone says the visual effects were a leap forward for it. But it'd be shame for both shrek and the incredibles to walk away empty handed.

And Darko yes the Oscars are **** but they make a huge deal for the films and the budgets and therefore the career and types of films get made.

In 1941 The academy overlooked Citzen Kane for Sgt York;
    In 1991 Godfella had it's thunder stolen by Dances with wolves,

And harvey keital remarked "Marty got what he deserved exclusion from mediocrity"

The Oscars like the FA cup, and the six nations are only important if you make them important

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"Van Helsing....................../"

And that would be why you don't nominate for the Oscars. FFS - biggest pile of toss this year by a length.

NoelRock wrote:
    "Van Helsing....................../"

And that would be why you don't nominate for the Oscars. FFS - biggest pile of toss this year by a length.

You forgot to point out that he mentioned The Chronicles of Riddick as well. All hope is lost. I didn't think there would be anyone who liked , never mind one but, those two movies. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

mycroft wrote:
    Thelma Schoonmaker Scorcese's long term partner (she's cut every one of his movies since mean streets)

I'm pretty sure Schoonmaker didn't edit any of Scorcese's films between 1970-1980 , could be wrong tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

I was going to be smug then realise I was wrong.

She's cut everything since raging bull, but didn't do taxi driver, and mean streets.

Advertisement