Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New amp suggestions

Options
  • 13-12-2004 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭

I'm lookin for a good sounding gigable combo. Built in effects and distortion aint important cos ive got all the effects i need in stomboxes. I play mostly rock and metal.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Have a look at the Fender FM212R :p

How much are you willing to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

i dunno. under 500. its to replace an mg100dfx. have you tried the fm212r?

i'd imagine it has a good clean channel which is what i need

Yes I have. Spent about an hour in a guitar shop, trying different guitars through it. Tasty tasty.

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_peavey_classic30_prodinfo.html

Slightly over budget but by all counts, a quality all tube amp.

thats really nice. ive heard only good things about the peaveys. although i dont have a credit card... so thats gonna be €100+ more expensive in shops.

• Advertisement

€200+ I'd say. Don't forget Thomann.de take bank transfers...

i dont have a current account either! any other payment methods

Cheque... TBH, give someone with either a CC or a current account the money and ask them to get it for you.

if somebody was gettin an order from thomann i could pay them and pay for delivery or something

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

feylya i was looking at that amp for awhile how does it fare?

would it be a good partner to my gibson les paul?

• Advertisement

Freak, I'd offer to help you out but I'm having enough grief myself as it is!!!

Cremo, depends on what you play. It's supposed to be great for clean and blues with some light rock. I suppose you could put a tube screamer in front of it if you want heavier stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well i play a lot of stuff nothing heavy, influences like weezer, jimmy eat world, biffy clyro etc.

haha yeah. I think solid state may be better for me. So any more suggestions for metal combos. i was lookin at the hughes and kettner warp 7 combo. might be worth a shot

So just that crunchy sort of tube break up?

Hmmm, the Warp 7 is very nu metal oriented? What sort of stuff do you play? I'm gonna guess by your name, you're a Korn fan?

no not at all. i just think thats a cool song name! i like muse dreamtheater that sort

Muse and Dream Theater eh?

Well, I know Matt Bellamy uses (or used) Marshalls and John Petucci uses Mark 3 Mesas (although he used the roadking on Train Of Thought). Why are you leaning more towards Solid state? I know they're lighter and tubes don't have to be replaced but you can't beat a nice tube crunch.

yeah... i suppose its the expense of the amps, unreliability, replacing valves etc. solid state means a lot less hassle

Then I point you in teh direction of Line 6 if you don't mind modelling amps.

agh but i dont need effects or even overdrive for that matter. all i want is an amp that sounds good clean and takes effects well

• Advertisement

A good clean? Fender. Probably the FM212R

That'll take effects well? Generally, if it's a good clean, effects will sound nice with it.

212 might be a bit too much. i may check out the 1 speaker version

you know conall from mike got spiked? he used a warp 7 halfstack when his tour reverb was being fixed and his guitar sounds huge

A bit too much for what? TBH, I reckon you'll need that amount of air movement to hear yourself on stage. Sure people get away with 1x12's but the 2x12 let it be slightly bassier.

a bit heavy to drag around and my 1x12 marshall can be heard no bother at the moment. why pay extra when the 112 would be loud enough

you know conall from mike got spiked? he used a warp 7 halfstack when his tour reverb was being fixed and his guitar sounds huge

I can't say that I know of him. Didn't like what I heard of Mike Got Spiked.

I know Kev Carroll from Leeway in Dundalk uses a Spider 2 half stack and he gets a pretty decent tone out of the thing.

how are the spiders on clean

beautiful! i have one myself.

a bit heavy to drag around and my 1x12 marshall can be heard no bother at the moment. why pay extra when the 112 would be loud enough

Well, there's the 65 watt version for sixty quid cheaper.

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_artikel-167016.html

It is about 9 kgs lighter but I'd take the extra speaker over some back strain. Be glad you're not a bass player. It's not fun trying to move a 60KG cabinet.

• Advertisement

i spose the extra speaker is a good deal for only 60 extra. i could swear i saw an fm 212r for 250 or so s/h in waterford...

Advertisement