Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tower Hotel / Lombard St. Dereliction

Options
  • 23-04-2024 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain why Lombard St. still looks like Gaza if Neville Hotel Group finally got their hotel expansion planning go-ahead last summer?

Is there still some legal dispute causing this dereliction or do Neville Hotels just not care how one of the main arteries through our city looks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭azimuth17

DId the planning applicaton not omit these houses as the new development is to be built behind them? This wil leave the dereliction in place. Shocking looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Do Nevilles not still own the block and therefore still have a duty to maintain their appearance, especially if they are not going to be knocked as part of the hotel upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

theres very little deterrence towards dereliction in the country, its just another method to protect certain sections of society, it should be heavily taxed, but shur that ll probably never happen….

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

A heavy tax on insurance premiums that include clauses that cover dereliction. Nothing like an open-ended liability to focus minds.

I mean, how much would it cost them to throw a lick of paint on the eye-sore gable-end FFS??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

While Q’ing in traffic there the other day there were a few guys in high visibility vests and a construction vehicle ‘poking’ around at something…..could this be some sort of preparatory/ advance work ahead of the main works….?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 feckwunker

I know the person who was behind the objection to the Tower developing these. This person is a serial objector who is genuinely holding Waterford back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭dzilla

they probably do, but its not the only building in town that has been left to dereliction. Its probably not enforceable.

I agreed with the original objections, listed buildings shouldn't have been slated for demolition to facilitate an easier extension, Neville's were badly advised. I 100% applaud their plan to extend the hotel, what they've built so far looks great but if the Lombard Street buildings are now not part of the extension, they shouldn't just be left to moulder. It's like Neville's are saying "Fcuk you Waterford, coz we couldn't get planning permission to knock down 1/2 of Lombard street to facilitate our proposed fancy-pants glass palace atrium hotel extension, you can watch the street slowly fall to bits instead". It seems self-defeating as it's not a great first impression for new guests turning into the carpark; "Is this Beirut or Waterford?"

I know our planning system is crap, way too slow, but developers should be obliged by city by-laws to maintain sites to a high standard while awaiting p.p. particularly highly sensitive city-centre sites.

I know it's not the law but it should be the law like in many countries in Europe.

Totally agree. The houses in Lombard Street could be returned to domestic use quite easily. Might be expensive, but the work is simple, any competent builder could do it. I've seen much worse brought back to life in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…this approach definitely needs to be considered if we re to even attempt to resolve our housing issues, its true whats said, the most environmentally friendly house is the one that already exists, our whole approach to property, both commercial and residential, is a mess….

• Registered Users Posts: 45 feckwunker

My understanding was that the Tower were going to keep the facade of the buildings already in Lombard Street. I don't care personally whether they are repurposed for residential or whatever - just someone do something with them ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

If you are driving/walking around the back [Rose Lane] and look up you'll notice all the windows have been removed. Reckon the place is full of pigeons. Quite a few perching on the window ledges. Given the current dearth of houses/accommodation in the country these substantial buildings should not be lying idle. They've been like this for well over a decade. Recall there being a bookies/mortgage shop there on ground floors @ one point. Same with the old Alfie Hales premises & adjacent buildings. Should have been to better use.

Work being done in the backs and upper floors of all those houses as far as I could see last week. Thats why the windows were removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I hope they put in proper sashes. The steet is ruined with those outward opening windows

Advertisement