Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build PC €1500/2000

Options
  • 19-04-2024 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€1500ish to 2k max]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming & light office work] (Games - SIM racing mainly with some FPS e.g. CoD) would like to be able to use PSVR2 also when it's enabled for PCVR later this year

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes - saw on other posts I can get for €20 approx]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No] (MS keyboard and mouse only)

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No] Not planning to.

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] Card

9. When are you purchasing? [Soon]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [First build but should be ok. Dublin]

Hi,

Looking for some help please!

Always wanted to make a PC.

Will be using for games mainly on 1080p monitor but will upgrade that in future to 1440p or 4k if prices are good later in the year. Looking to get 100fps maybe.

I think a mid level GPU would probably suffice, would prefer a better one but prices are mad here! Would be open to second hand on adverts if I can get better value.

I linked a sample build below, if you change to other countries the price drops a lot so I reckon I could possibly get 1700/1800 from shopping around and better parts selection with help from the forum here.

https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/njMydH

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

I didn't know that PC part picker worked in Ireland. Nice!

Most of what you've picked out looks alright but if your absolute maximum is €2k (obviously you're over that) I'd suggest downgrading the graphics card. For 1080p there's no way you should be spending anywhere near €950 on a graphics card. Definitely consider going for a lower model GeForce RTX 4000 series card. Paradigit seems to have a poor selection of AMD Radeon cards, I don't know if you've considered any of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/4qNZ7R

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (€395.47 @ Caseking)
    CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (€38.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard (€137.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory (€117.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Lexar NM790 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€129.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card (€695.97 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case (€95.16 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: Asus Prime AP-850G 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€106.04 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €1717.30
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-20 20:40 CEST+0200

Going overkill on CPU but it should last years of gaming thanks to X3D.

4070 Ti is perfect for 1440p, no need to worry about VRAM if you use DLSS. Can downgrade to RTX 4070 Super at 600eur. Don't go AMD for VR. Or go all the way to 4080 Super somehow.

4TB SSDs are stupid expensive, wait until prices come back down.

500DX is a great starter case, not too big, quiet fans with great airflow.

Post edited by K.O.Kiki on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Post edited by Keith186 on

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Gerard93

Sorry to hijack this but would love to buy something like this but have never built a PC before but would be reasonable confident in replacing bit and pieces on my own PC is there much involved in the self builds and is there help available if one did run into difficulty …… or would I be better off going prebuilt

Thanks

• Advertisement

I had to pick another RAM due to delivery dates.

Anyway, added the motherboard and got a compatibility issue.

Is this still do-able as a new build i.e. no other PC to use? I have a work laptop so could download and copy files to usb etc but it's a bit locked down so probably nothing fancy permissions wide or dodgy.

The MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard supports the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor with BIOS version 7D77v16. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, updating the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I'd be surprised if the board came with too old a bios for a 7800x3d at this point (over a year since they added support) but if it did you would only need the work laptop to download a zip and stick a file from it on a usb stick, nothing fancy or dodgy.

Generating windows install media would be the other thing you presumably will have to do (or have someone do for you) but I'm guessing the work laptop would also do that.

Ordered all the items, thanks for all the help!

TBH, I have no idea but I will be finding out in the next couple of weeks so will reply here and let you know if I found it easy or difficult. I've added RAM to a laptop before so fairly inexperienced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Gerard93

Hi Keith186

Thanks for the reply, if you can it would be great to keep us posted on how the build goes I would be very interested

I have swapped out replaced HDD and RAM over the years but think I probably would be a bit overwhelmed by all the parts and then where to start plus would not want to “fry” anything 😁

I built this yesterday. Wasn't too hard in the end but it took longer than expected.

Had some debug lights on the MB but I spotted a RAM stick wasn't fully in so that fixed that. I built in downstairs in the kitchen and it wouldn't work but that was just due to old TV or HDMI cable, booted to BIOS once I brought it to my desk upstairs with modern monitors.

Only trouble I'm having now is there's no WiFi on Windows 11. There's only ethernet showing as a connection type.

Can't get USB tethering for internet via my phone either.

Changed BIOS settings to WiFi on instead of auto for Bluetooth/WiFi and turned network stack from disabled to on.

I think the last setting messed up windows as it's blue screening now so have to try some more stuff later on.

Any ideas? I can probably bring back downstairs to plug in ethernet might be easiest then try install all drivers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The network stack to on is for the UEFI/BIOS to use normally, and not the Windows or OS level one, so that can be turned off again.

Thanks. Option seemed to be gone when I went back in. Will try again later.

Do you think taking out CMOS battery would help the WiFi issue? Seen it suggested elsewhere. Note, original MB firmware doesn't work with my CPU without flash update so not sure if that factory resets basically back to original firmware?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Resetting the CMOS will not revert the firmware version, just reset the stored settings.

WiFi generally doesn't work if you don't have its drivers installed.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B650M-A-WIFI/support#driver

I had to reinstall windows again, after the bios change settings it was a goner.

All going grand now with the WiFi working.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement