Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To claim or not to claim…

Options
  • 13-04-2024 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

an at fault accident €1500 damage, no other party involved

Fully comp

Full NCD protection (I’m led to believe this is applicable only to the insurance Co one is with and is irrelevant next year when getting new instances with maybe a different Co who will still see it as a claim?)

Excess €300

Should I go through insurance for the €1200 or ??? Would my premium increase big if a claim is made?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Your accident will carry forward to the next company.You will have to declare that you have had an accident if you claim on your existing insurance policy.With no other party involved you will pay the excess and have the accident recorded on your policy.5 years(usually)after the accident date you can stop declaring it to an insurance company.Your premium price will be loaded with an extra charge each year you renew a policy.With one claim it could be better to let insurance pay.Just hope no more claims in the 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭treascon

If it was me and I could afford to pay the €1500 I’d pay it myself & not involve insurance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭geographica

2 phantom quotes done with alternative insurer

1 without any claims

1 with a €1500 (with excess €1200) claim

Price exact same 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭on_the_roots

I would never lose my NC years because of a €1200 claim.

• Advertisement

Why, If you had a full NCD protection and are staying with the same insurer?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭on_the_roots

Remember that a protected NCB is a discount that you have on your next renewal (if you insurer is willing to give you a quote for renewal in the first place). They can jump the base premium to whatever they want and after your discount you might still have a hefty premium to pay. All of this because a 1.2k claim… Up to you to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Your existing insurer has to offer you renewal terms. Doomsday comments about what your insurer is going to do to you for a claim of a couple of grand are WAY off reality

How much off?

• Advertisement

Huh? They are phantom quotes or did you not read that part?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Slight hijack of the topic, but same question.

My partner clipped someone's mirror off this morning. From pictures it really looks that it was the only damage (their car was stationary at the time).

The person is offering to handle this without involvement from the insurance companies and to just get the mirror replaced.

What is the risk of doing that and skipping the insurance company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

It is only a mirror, im sure the person is ok with it. worst case write a quick letter and get him to sign or date it. or send a text message and get him to confirm no other damage

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Thanks. Doing it directly would certainly be quicker and cheaper - the cost of a replacement mirror is likely less than the excess on my policy, so I just wanted to understand if there was any downside.

If you have the money to pay it then pay it, but if not don't worry its what insurance was for. Just an FYI the €1500 quote you got will probably be 2k plus if going through insurance as its a all branded parts (and they throw anything in for a few bob)

In my case going 5KM P/H I skid on Ice into a path, just my car involved. Got towed off and went through insurance, it cost 8k to fix (my mechanic friend told be it would have only cost 3-4k if I got it done myself)

I did not have NCD but did have stepback @100%, claim brought me down to 75%…

I was nervous until the renewal but when I got te quote it was only €150 more and with a bit of haggling I basically got it for last years price.

Again it is what insurance is for and if going through insurance (especially if no other party is involved) make sure you try link anything else wrong with the car to the accident (you might aswell get it fixed and pay through insurance for it)

but with my NCD protection in place then if I’m staying with same insurer surely there won’t be any “punishment” for making a claim with them?

Why else do I pay extra for a NCD protection?

(though of course they can start the premium a lot higher and claim “market forces” to recoup some of their money)

No, with NCP there wont be any punishment,

So you are asking will they see it as a claim - I think a claim has to be noted with every insurance company, but the main thing is your NCD which will remain at X amount of years. so it makes no difference.

So yes, you are paying for that extra, claim off the insurance, €300 is better than €1500 it is what it is there for ( and again, if anything else is wrong with the car and it can be tied to the accident put it in aswell)

Advertisement