Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10kWh LifePO4 DIY Battery Addition..... Here is my write up.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭championc

And that's why I HATE Solis inverters. They can and do control charging and discharging negatively with their firmware. And once you go forward, it seems you cannot go back.

Sofar or Sunsynk all day long when it comes to Hybrids

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

So am I correct in saying that for Solis the default consistent charge rate is in the range of 65 - 70 amps as it derates after 10/15 (who knows at this stage) number of minutes at 100amps, but some have managed to get it bumped up to run at 100 amps (depending on the firmware version)?

Or have I dreamt that last bit!?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I havent seenn anyone able to get the last bit

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

15 minutes. Don't think anyone has any different.

• Advertisement

Double your Solis charge rate to 6kW for €135 😁

(blatant shill for my power supply, see the for sale thread)

:) that or get shopping for a sunsynk and pass the solis along!

Anyone used a Deye hybrid?

Sunsynk is Deye, just a rebrand/more local support

Based in the UK with a UK CEO and support team. Good guys. They have a strong presence in South Africa too. I'd buy a Sunsynk over anything else now.

Good to know!

Though I think I should probably focus on SWMBO's priority item of getting extension plans sorted, keep getting side tracked by Solar and whats the best way to orientate the roof forgetting that I'm in Dublin so no choice as the existing orientation decides it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 mariadumitruiulian

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭darraghsherwin

Not sure why this has happened, max current set to 95amps as only using 25mm2 cables, have new 35mm2 cables to go in

It's not the cable it's the isolator that over heated. Cables are fine.

Quite likely the bolts weren't tightened enough.

Probably right, if I remember, I had issues with getting the lugs to sit down onto the screw and probably couldn't get the bolts tight enough as I was only using an adjustable wrench.

Much easier with a socket wrench

Don't ask me how I know 😁

Wasn't too bad actually but years ago I had two pieces of cable connected to each other with a nut and bolt and covered with electrical tape. By chance I grabbed the connection at some point and nearly burnt my hand. Loose connection. Problem was gone when I tightened the bolt.

I did have one fail and get hot on me too, was able to loose them with my hand, They are tight now.

@Scoopsire It's not the Solis inverter that is derating to 10amps, it's the Seplos BMS.

There are 2 settings in the BMS that control it:

1. Take the initiative current limiting charging
    2. Passive current limit charging

From my investigations so far to figure out what is happening, is that if you charge at 100amps, one of your cells might peak at 3.65v before the rest of the them so it might trigger one of the overpressure warnings, etc. I believe what is supposed to happen, is that the BMS try to balance that cell with the other cells while still charging so that all cells charge up to 3.65v. From what I have seen is that the Seplos BMS, hits that limit on one of the cells and then changes the SOC to 100% and won't accept any more charge.

My current solution to this is so limit charging to 30amps in the Solis which means it will take longer to get to 100% SOC

What he is chatting about is the solis, going from 100 to 70, not down to 10

• Advertisement

Only the Seplos BMS can't balance cells 😂

It only burns off high cells into heat, losing you your electricity. An active balancing BMS on the other hand charges a capacitor from your high cell and discharges the capacitor into a low cell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Battery stopped discharge at 38% today. Can't see what setting might be causing it. Solis support also decided they didn't know why max charge is 2.2kw, but did have some back and forth before giving.

😎

Why did it stop discharging? That's the key thing in trying to diagnose issues.

Did the solis stop discharge?

Did the JK stop it?

Was it a low cell?

(Also are you running a 1p or 2p?, Your battery capacity is set to 200 but cycle capacity is currently at 320)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Hmm. Never took much notice of cycle capacity before, but that number doesn't sound right

Restarted the BMS, which knocked off the inverter. Working again now. But don't know which caused the problem given they both got the irish on off fix.

Post edited by poker--addict on

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jasgrif11

I completed my 16S4P battery configuration for a total of 800ah. I also replaced my Seplos with a JK BMS. Since doing that, I noticed that the battery does charge to 100% but I typically never see more than 54.5v (it never goes to the absorption voltage of 56.0v). The cells themselves usually are around 3.45v at 100%.

Are others seeing this, any pointers on potential configuration changes?

When I set up the JK I completed a full charge/discharge at 50A 2500w. Given our current weather, the battery typically doesn't go below 70% during the night. I'm sure that will change next month once Heatpump and more load occur.

All cells at about 3.45V when fully charged? You have nothing to worry about, that is about perfection. The cells will not all have the exact same capacity, so don't try to force them to do too much top or bottom balancing which does no good. And don't forget the percentage SOC the BMS comes up with is nothing but an approximation. Go by the cell voltage to be more precise.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭oaklands

Just finished testing a set of 16 x 305Ah Envision LifePo4 cells from NKON. Details below for reference.

Positive Comments:

• Very well packaged, came in 4 boxes of 4.
    • All cells exceeded nominal capacity in tests.
    • Overall happy with the price and purchase so far.

Other Comments:

• Including bus-bars/nuts, shipping & VAT from NL, the order total was €1918.13 (or 119.88 each). Looks like they only charged NL VAT.
    • All barcodes/numbers were scratched out and unreadable. NKON should have mentioned that.
    • Advertised as Grade A- cells (A minus). Clearly not! (Fogstar advertise them as Grade B)
    • I did query the grading from NKON before purchase and they replied that they are Grade B but their supplier has them as A-....but never changed the description on their site.
    • It appears to me that NKON offer little or no value add & just re-ship the boxes as received from their supplier in China. (Maybe they test a few at the start???)
    • They are now out of stock but may still be available from Fogstar in the UK.
    • Some of the cells have some minor bulging on the wide sides typically in line with the terminals (Doesn't appear to be too bad).
    • Took just over 1 month to complete the testing. (See tested Column)

Comments on Cell Tests & Spreadsheet: (See Images)

• used ZKETECH EBC-A40L for testing. This can nominally charge/discharge at 40A. However after digging into the docs, it is only rated for 35A charging & 40A discharging. It looks like it de-rates to low 30 amps as it heats up. Otherwise it did the job - no complaint.
    • Initially I considered testing overnight but quickly changed to 1 day charge test and the next day discharge test.
    • The test cycles can been seen in the image. Each cell tested individually. Essentially, discharge to 2.5V and immediately charge to 3.65V. After a rest period (overnight for me) discharge again to 2.5V and recharge to 30->50% capacity.
    • The good news is that the capacities exceeded nominal under these test conditions.
    • The bad news is that they were delivered at 6% SoC, when the datasheet specified 30->50% SoC for storage/shipping. On the other hand it does look like a capacity check was carried out before shipping from China as each box of 4 seemed to be grouped by measured capacity (tested in Mar-23, delivered in Jul-23). See Box Rating Column in image.
    • The average charge was 311.32Ah and the average discharge capacity was 309.69Ah.
    • The weight, Voltage & IR columns were measured on Delivery.

Next Steps:

• Waiting on metal case (See image) from Alibaba which will be a while via Boat. Using PayPal, it cost US$295 including shipping to door & DDP(all taxes). Also includes all the bits and pieces required except BMS/Display. Includes 2 terminals only (not 4 in image).
    • I am using my own JK BMS (16S2A). They will punch out the holes for whatever BMS/Display you want. Template is usually available from BMS manufacturer.
    • Delivery is quoted as 40 working days (8 weeks), But will be much longer for me due to initial shipping delay & Typhoons in China.
    • I will post a link to it once it arrives and is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Hey lads, wondering if I have to give up on my Dyness A4810 4.8kw battery if I diy a battery pack? I've a sofar inverter.

Is it possible for them to communicate, any bms compatible or the way to go is sell the dyness?

Would you keep the diy in the attic or build smth outdoor & pull cables?

Dyness come in 15S and in 16S. You can build a DIY battery and use it in parallel with your Dyness, but both have to have the same number of cells in series (and be the same chemistry).

Only one of the two packs then can tell the inverter what to do. Usually you'd pick the higher capacity one. If that is your DIY pack, then its BMS will control the inverter and the Dyness will just piggy back on the settings (protecting itself too)

I have done this with a very large DIY setup and a 5kWh server rack pre made pack in parallel myself, worked fine

• Advertisement

While you can do it, and if you match cell count (and thus matching voltages)

You may be better off just selling the dyness, and grabing 16 280-300ah cells, (likely from nkon now) and that would nearly triple your current battery size.

Advertisement