Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacist salary?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

lab man wrote: »
    70 k is a serious wage ffs cop on

Ever hear of tax? 70k is a good wage but not a great one with all that's listed above as living costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

lab man wrote: »
    70 k is a serious wage ffs cop on

17 as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

AmberGold wrote: »
    Yes 70k seems like a pile of cash when you’re 17, living at home with Mammy & being offered part-time jobs in Supermacs and the like on minimum wage. Add in the true cost of living in Ireland with a mortgage, Creche fees, property tax, USC, PRSI, Property maintenance fees to name a few and you’ll understand my point.

I think you covered it off in your post, you’re 17 and yes you don’t know much.

FYI there are plenty of jobs requiring very high academic ability, qualifications and long hours that don't pay 70k ever. Many experienced engineers and IT professionals I know on less than this.

Just because the property market in Dublin is hopelessly corrupt is not a reason to say 70k is a bad salary. A salary largely paid for by the taxpayer.

To the 17 year old, yes pharmacy is a good career. However there is a good possibility that deregulation will happen and then you will have floods of Eastern European pharmacists setting up here and prepared to work for far less than 70K. Also from a pay and conditions standpoint, any public sector career is far better than anything in the private sector. You might get bored though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Fastidious

I do wonder how people earning an average modest salary survive oh wait they live within their means.
    You answered your own question- I don't care what you say, 70,000 is a fantastic salary and I think you'd want to have a look at yourself and the work that you do before you say anything else. Craftsmen, teachers, nurses earn far far less but they seem to be able to secure a mortgage, rear kids etc.
    You're deluded if you think 70,000 is a bad salary

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

Im currently earning 80k in Dublin per annum as a community pharmacist in my 20s

• Advertisement

Fastidious wrote: »
    I do wonder how people earning an average modest salary survive oh wait they live within their means.
    You answered your own question- I don't care what you say, 70,000 is a fantastic salary and I think you'd want to have a look at yourself and the work that you do before you say anything else. Craftsmen, teachers, nurses earn far far less but they seem to be able to secure a mortgage, rear kids etc.
    You're deluded if you think 70,000 is a bad salary

The point is : with the high level of points required for entry coupled with the level of responsibility and the care Pharmacists provide it is a very low salary relative to other professionals.

The group of occupations you cite bear no resemblance to the academic and job requirements of a pharmacist.

I’m not deluded & it’s safe to say you haven’t a rashers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please don't base a career choice on what the salary is. Choose something you will get some enjoyment out of.

70k which is a very good salary will not compensate for a job you hate, day after day after day after day.

The points requirement for Pharmacy is irrelevant. It just means lots of people want to do Pharmacy, possibly because they erroneously think they will make a fortune.

The point is : with the high level of points required for entry coupled with the level of responsibility and the care Pharmacists provide it is a very low salary relative to other professionals.

The group of occupations you cite bear no resemblance to the academic and job requirements of a pharmacist.

I’m not deluded & it’s safe to say you haven’t a rashers.

Oh God love you, I'm sorry but you have lost any credibility you once had the minute you mentioned LC points. What has that got to do with anything-economics 101 supply and demand. Pharmacy is high points yes, but I'd argue that many courses require much more study than pharmacy and these may only be 300-400 points.

I don't blame you for wanting more. I mean, who doesn't want a rise. But nowadays people have to pay an arm and a leg for ibuprofen in a pharmacy and your greed is partially to blame. You'd swear you have the most difficult job in the world, sorry that isn't true. And I say this as an aspiring pharmacist. Of all the professions, I have to say I've got the least sympathy for pharmacists.

Nursing is a highly skilled profession requiring four years of study. Although nurses can only dream of earning a salary in excess of 70k. To say that nurses are inferior to pharmacists is quite demeaning. Please enlighten me-tell me how you can justify asking for a salary triple that of nurses. It just doesn't make sense.

Oh God love you, I'm sorry but you have lost any credibility you once had the minute you mentioned LC points. What has that got to do with anything-economics 101 supply and demand. Pharmacy is high points yes, but I'd argue that many courses require much more study than pharmacy and these may only be 300-400 points.

I don't blame you for wanting more. I mean, who doesn't want a rise. But nowadays people have to pay an arm and a leg for ibuprofen in a pharmacy and your greed is partially to blame. You'd swear you have the most difficult job in the world, sorry that isn't true. And I say this as an aspiring pharmacist. Of all the professions, I have to say I've got the least sympathy for pharmacists.

Nursing is a highly skilled profession requiring four years of study. Although nurses can only dream of earning a salary in excess of 70k. To say that nurses are inferior to pharmacists is quite demeaning. Please enlighten me-tell me how you can justify asking for a salary triple that of nurses. It just doesn't make sense.

Firstly I’m not a pharmacist & yes Nurses are getting shafted too. I think the whole country agrees on that one.

Nothing demeaning in my statements re Nurses or any other of the careers you mention, please don’t try and put words in my mouth. The two areas have different academic entry requirements & levels of job responsibility.

The argument regarding LC points relates purely to the myriad of courses and careers that may pay a higher salary to those fortunate few that meet the entry requirements for pharmacy.

All these points are being made in relation to the title of this thread, nothing else which is what’s relevant here.

Firstly I’m not a pharmacist & yes Nurses are getting shafted too. I think the whole country agrees on that one.

Nothing demeaning in my statements re Nurses or any other of the careers you mention, please don’t try and put words in my mouth. The two areas have different academic entry requirements & levels of job responsibility.

The argument regarding LC points relates purely to the myriad of courses and careers that may pay a higher salary to those fortunate few that meet the entry requirements for pharmacy.

All these points are being made in relation to the title of this thread, nothing else which is what’s relevant here.

I still don't understand the point you're trying to make regarding leaving cert points.
    Fair enough you aren't a pharmacist, but you really do need to get out more or converse with those earning less than 70k. You are of the idiotic opinion that 70,000 is a low salary. Maybe cutting down on your trips to Brown Thomas and not looking for an abode right smack in the middle of Dublin would be a good place to start. Your comments were extremely ageist and although you may be older you aren't any bit wiser.

You're the one insinuating that how much someone should be paid should be determined by how they do in the leaving cert which is quite frankly ludicrous.

Point being-we can't afford as a country to give everyone a rise. Nurses and midwives and junior doctors I certainly understand and empathize with their never-ending struggle but pharmacists imo should be bottom of the list when it comes to pay increase.

Anyone earning 70,000 should be able to lead quite a comfortable life. Although that may mean living outside of Dublin oh well la vie n'est pas juste.

• Advertisement

I still don't understand the point you're trying to make regarding leaving cert points.
    Fair enough you aren't a pharmacist, but you really do need to get out more or converse with those earning less than 70k. You are of the idiotic opinion that 70,000 is a low salary. Maybe cutting down on your trips to Brown Thomas and not looking for an abode right smack in the middle of Dublin would be a good place to start. Your comments were extremely ageist and although you may be older you aren't any bit wiser.

You're the one insinuating that how much someone should be paid should be determined by how they do in the leaving cert which is quite frankly ludicrous.

Point being-we can't afford as a country to give everyone a rise. Nurses and midwives and junior doctors I certainly understand and empathize with their never-ending struggle but pharmacists imo should be bottom of the list when it comes to pay increase.

Anyone earning 70,000 should be able to lead quite a comfortable life. Although that may mean living outside of Dublin oh well la vie n'est pas juste.
    I make more of a difference to patient care than the majority of nurses. So I feel you are been a little mean about pharmacists been bottom of the pile.

I make more of a difference to patient care than the majority of nurses. So I feel you are been a little mean about pharmacists been bottom of the pile.

It's clear you guys are well looked after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mazwell

He's 17! I don't think I'd be worrying too much about his opinion. When I was that age I thought I knew it all too

mazwell wrote: »
    He's 17! I don't think I'd be worrying too much about his opinion. When I was that age I thought I knew it all too

& thats where I’ll leave this. Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Would you mind elaborating on that a little? Curious as to the reasoning. Not saying I disagree or anything, just interested.

<mod snip>

Asshole

I would advise you not to study pharmacy. It seems you don't have the temparement for it if you get riled up on an internet forum.

Would you mind elaborating on that a little? Curious as to the reasoning. Not saying I disagree or anything, just interested.

I save millions of euros for the HSE though medicines governance. This allow this money to be used further afield than pharmacy in the HSE. I know more about drugs than the majority of doctors. I also write guidelines for doctors to follow for prescribing meds. I organise how meds are sorted for vulnerable patients once they are discharged from hospital. Whilst doing this, I'm responsible for 176 inpatients beds where any drug errors ultimately lie on my desk.

I save millions of euros for the HSE though medicines governance. This allow this money to be used further afield than pharmacy in the HSE. I know more about drugs than the majority of doctors. I also write guidelines for doctors to follow for prescribing meds. I organise how meds are sorted for vulnerable patients once they are discharged from hospital. Whilst doing this, I'm responsible for 176 inpatients beds where any drug errors ultimately lie on my desk.

You should be applauded for your contribution to society. Why you should earn less than a Doctor is beyond me. Maybe you do so don’t take insult.

I did find an interesting article from Australia where it seems Pharmacists are getting totally shafted. Good schedule of salary’s illustrating Pharmacists at the bottom rung.

Note for “Fastidious” NO Teachers, Craftspeople or whatever you’re having yourself in this list, only professionals of a similar level.... however I’d say they left the Nurses in to illustrate they even earn more.

https://ajp.com.au/news/low-pay-risking-profession/

I would advise you not to study pharmacy. It seems you don't have the temparement for it if you get riled up on an internet forum.

No I have a problem with people devaluing my opinion because of my age. And isn't it great I don't give two ****s what you think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Mod note
    Watch the language and attitudes. Insulting other members is not allowed here.
    Rob

Anyone gullible enough to believe this really needs their heads examined. You keep telling yourself that you save millions of euros, I'm not buying that. And I would hope that you know more about drugs than doctors given that that's your specialty. There's a reason why you don't get paid as much as a doctor, six years of very intensive study followed by years and years of work experience and further study to become a general practitioner..go figure

RobFowl wrote: »
    Mod note
    Watch the language and attitudes. Insulting other members is not allowed here.
    Rob

And ageist comments are permissible?

<mod snip>
    Much like the dazzler I agree you wouldn't have the temperament for pharmacy. I say that as a community pharmacist

Anyone gullible enough to believe this really needs their heads examined. You keep telling yourself that you save millions of euros, I'm not buying that. And I would hope that you know more about drugs than doctors given that that's your specialty. There's a reason why you don't get paid as much as a doctor, six years of very intensive study followed by years and years of work experience and further study to become a general practitioner..go figure

Given this rant & response to the Mod you seem to be either very aggressive or you are a troll!

Why don't you want to do medicine then?

Given this rant & response to the Mod you seem to be either very aggressive or you are a troll!

Back to bed with yourself commie

Your choice of the term "commie" is odd and doesn't make sense?

Why don't you want to do medicine then?

Because I don't want to..many other lucrative careers out there that require a fraction of the work

• Advertisement

Your choice of the term "commie" is odd and doesn't make sense?

Ms I want everyone to receive the same salary because it's only fair

Advertisement