Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

Thank God!!

Have a great weekend everyone x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Second round of blood test are back. Liver improved slightly but platelets still very low. Asked me to immediately go to A+E.

This is horrible.

Any improvement is a good thing. Milk thistle capsules are fantastic for helping support the liver. Just keep looking after your body and it will come good in the end. Healthy diet, rest and try out things that you enjoy and help get rid of any tension or stress.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Wishing everyone a Happy and Sober Halloween!!!

Loving sobriety and getting my life back on track. :)

Out of hospital and signs are looking more positive. Just shy of 3 weeks sober. Longest I have gone in over 2 decades.

Now the hard part starts. Getting married on Monday. Other people's weddings are hard enough sober but my own???? Haha. After the fright I got though, I should be fine. Got the venue to stock up on non alcoholic beers so I'll be grand.

Happy bank holiday weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Just gonna leave this here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/parenting/i-would-just-hand-the-baby-over-lock-myself-away-in-a-room-and-she-d-drink-1.3665431?mode=amp

I'm now sober almost a year, but it's been a long hard road with many serious relapses along the way. I agreed to be interviewed for this article in the hope that I might play my part in confronting the stigma around addiction (particularly in parents) and hopefully to reach those still suffering and give them hope that recovery is possible. So this seems like as good a place as any to share it.

• Advertisement

Well done :)

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/parenting/i-would-just-hand-the-baby-over-lock-myself-away-in-a-room-and-she-d-drink-1.3665431?mode=amp

I'm now sober almost a year, but it's been a long hard road with many serious relapses along the way. I agreed to be interviewed for this article in the hope that I might play my part in confronting the stigma around addiction (particularly in parents) and hopefully to reach those still suffering and give them hope that recovery is possible. So this seems like as good a place as any to share it.

You're amazing! Well done on coming so far x

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Day 57. No slips, no compromises, no alcohol.

Ten minutes of my wedding left. Pretended to drink champagne for the toast and had 5 non alcoholic erdingers. If I got through today, I think I can say I've finally turned a corner

scriba wrote: »
    Day 57. No slips, no compromises, no alcohol.

That's great Scriba! Lots of memories for your son to remember too :)

Well done! :)

• Advertisement

Ten minutes of my wedding left. Pretended to drink champagne for the toast and had 5 non alcoholic erdingers. If I got through today, I think I can say I've finally turned a corner

You should be very proud of yourself Mr TheDunne. Not many guys have been sober on their wedding day!

Congratulations to yourself and the new Mrs TheDunne! :p

I'm at day 119 today. I'm so far along now that alcohol is no longer an issue, the cravings are non existent and the sight of a glass of wine makes my stomach turn (thank God)

My first proper social outing was last Wednesday evening with a friend who likes a few pints of Guinness whenever she's over, but the other two friends were taking it easy and wanted to enjoy the gig we were attending, so thankfully, no falling down drunk experiences to witness on this occasion. The last time I was with Mrs Guinness, she fell asleep in the pub, I had to quickly sober up with lots of water to make sure we both got back to our Airbnb in London. I don't miss those days...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Day 3 for me, hit a really low point at the weekend where i blacked out. I've taken it as my rock bottom moment. I am a binge drinker and was drinking to the point of passing out at weekends but in the last two years i've been slowly drinking more each week, but some weeks could drink Wed-Sat and even Sunday during the day.

Saw my GP this week and seeing a lot clearly now. Was crippled with anxiety for the last while even when not drinking. There is a history of depression in my family so I'm committed to making the necessary changes. Aiming for a completely sober November and see where that takes me. My wife is going to join me so I know that will be a great support like she always is to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

If you got through the night without your new wife throwing you out of the bed for farting then I commend you :D That Erdinger causes fierce bloating! Congrats on your special day and well done for staying off the booze - you have most definitely turned a corner, keep it going.

Me, I'm on day 730 and can't believe it. Two years ago I was in a very different headspace starting off.

Ghekko wrote:
    If you got through the night without your new wife throwing you out of the bed for farting then I commend you That Erdinger causes fierce bloating! Congrats on your special day and well done for staying off the booze - you have most definitely turned a corner, keep it going.

Haha. Twas touch and go. Luckily, the hotel suite had a jacuzzi so was able to let a few fly without notice.

And thank you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

That is brilliant Foreva Awone and very inspiring for all the rest of us in our journeys out of the dark abyss of addiction and self destruction. You have done so well and and are so brave to share your story. :) I wish you and your son the very best for the future.

I think that the evidence from the research shows how transformative the PuP ptogramne is. It should be upscaled and rolled out nationally as a matter of urgency: it clearly works.

We'll done! But I'm going to sound like a kill joy. Non alcoholic beer can contain alcohol, three weeks isn't very long and pretending to drink is a bit strange why would you. If you are sober why just not lift a glass of lemonade, there is no shame in it. I think it's wonderful and a big turn around for you but just be aware of the little things. If what was making you drink was to fit in then it sounds like you've nearly conquered that goal, because you've found a way around it. But for the long term there's a lot of work ahead for you this is just the beginning. Now you feel better physically working on what you enjoy is next aside from anything drink related, working on goals and plans for the future and taking care of yourself is the most important thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭tinpib

If you are sober why just not lift a glass of lemonade, there is no shame in it.

He is using it as a crutch to avoid any awkward conversations at his own wedding. A very good strategy if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

tinpib wrote: »
    He is using it as a crutch to avoid any awkward conversations at his own wedding. A very good strategy if you ask me.

I would tend to agree, in this instance. There is time to lose the crutch after the wedding and develop a strategy for how to deal with situations involving alcohol, but for now, not drinking at the wedding was the most important thing (at least, to my mind).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭tinpib

Yes, the thing is there actually IS shame in drinking lemonade instead of champagne. That's just how society views it. I know Sigma has the best intentions but that's the way it is, unfortunately.

Losing the shame about not drinking is for further down the road, as is ditching the non-alcoholic beers. 1 day at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

Just over 4 months for me. By far the longest stretch I’ve managed since I was 16. I’m feeling good, anxiety is a distant memory, i‘ve got more energy, lost a lot of weight and am much more productive at work, which is really important to me. The reason I stopped was because I was exhausted every Monday and Tuesday. Going on a major holiday in a few weeks and don’t plan on touching a drop.

The only struggle I have now is how people react. Colleagues and friends seem to laugh at me when I say I’m not drinking. Only my closest friends have told me how proud they are of me. It still shocks me how flippent other folks are though. For this reason I’m not comfortable when the conversation comes up. Has anyone else had experiences like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Day 3 for me, hit a really low point at the weekend where i blacked out. I've taken it as my rock bottom moment. I am a binge drinker and was drinking to the point of passing out at weekends but in the last two years i've been slowly drinking more each week, but some weeks could drink Wed-Sat and even Sunday during the day.

Saw my GP this week and seeing a lot clearly now. Was crippled with anxiety for the last while even when not drinking. There is a history of depression in my family so I'm committed to making the necessary changes. Aiming for a completely sober November and see where that takes me. My wife is going to join me so I know that will be a great support like she always is to me.

So a week off the booze today, might not sound like much but it's definitely the 1st time in the guts of 10 years when I haven't had a sip of alcohol over a weekend. Ya know what, it wasn't bad! Got loads of productive stuff done like painting the bedroom, yawn! But I'm looking forward to be being one of those happy Monday people tomorrow for a change! Already planned stuff for the week ahead and next weekend, feeling a lot better already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

justback83 wrote: »
    Just over 4 months for me. By far the longest stretch I’ve managed since I was 16. I’m feeling good, anxiety is a distant memory, i‘ve got more energy, lost a lot of weight and am much more productive at work, which is really important to me. The reason I stopped was because I was exhausted every Monday and Tuesday. Going on a major holiday in a few weeks and don’t plan on touching a drop.

The only struggle I have now is how people react. Colleagues and friends seem to laugh at me when I say I’m not drinking. Only my closest friends have told me how proud they are of me. It still shocks me how flippent other folks are though. For this reason I’m not comfortable when the conversation comes up. Has anyone else had experiences like this?

I've lost friends over me stopping. One chap even thought it would be a bit of crack to pour a vodka into a ginger ale I was drinking. I know it is a cliché but people who react the way you describe are not worth knowing. Your real friends are the ones who you say support you.

Which is why I stopped going to pubs other than before or after matches when I am with daughter and people who know I no longer drink. And worse, or better!, know what I was like when I was.

I've had several serious relapses since deciding to stop initially nine years ago. All of them were result of slipping back into bad habits, so while you might get used to the pub scene sober, you are probably better off avoiding it for a while.

I would be reasonably confident I have shaken the monkey off my back now, but a lot of that was through trial and error and I can recognise the signs now that led me to relapse on other occasions. It is not easy, but it does get easier especially if you develop healthy substitutes.

For those who have fallen, don't despair. Happens to most people at some stage. Put it behind you and get up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Well done, and well done to you for agreeing to be interviewed. I did something similar when I got sober - I think it helped because for me the more people that knew, the harder it made it to drink. Touch wood, I haven't had a drink for over 15 years now but I still try to keep it very much in the day.
    I still pull out my aftercare plan that I got when leaving treatment and do a check in with myself to see how it's all going.
    I listened to a podcast the other day and one line really stood out to me
    "if you are not working on your recovery, you are working on your relapse", I think this is so true and so powerful.

Best of luck to with all that you do. Remember - whether you think you can or you can't, you are right:)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Well done, and well done to you for agreeing to be interviewed. I did something similar when I got sober - I think it helped because for me the more people that knew, the harder it made it to drink. Touch wood, I haven't had a drink for over 15 years now but I still try to keep it very much in the day.
    I still pull out my aftercare plan that I got when leaving treatment and do a check in with myself to see how it's all going.
    I listened to a podcast the other day and one line really stood out to me
    "if you are not working on your recovery, you are working on your relapse", I think this is so true and so powerful.

Best of luck to with all that you do. Remember - whether you think you can or you can't, you are right:)

That's a fantastic way to put it

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Hi guys,hope everyone is good,I’m looking to attend an AA meeting in the navan area this week or next if anyone can suggest somewhere please.

I just thought I would say its 656 days since I last touched alcohol :) It is possible and good luck to you All :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

candycock wrote: »
    Hi guys,hope everyone is good,I’m looking to attend an AA meeting in the navan area this week or next if anyone can suggest somewhere please.

I don't know Navan too well but see plenty listed here:

https://www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/aa-meetings/meetings-listing.299.html?d=&c=Meath

(just keep scrolling down the page)

Best of luck, I've been sober for many years now thx to AA :)

Advertisement