Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Win 10% of Dublin Bus routes for tender

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Bambi wrote: »
    Wouldnt it be mad stuff altogether if these Go Ahead lads started using a RPTI solution that was actually real time

Sure where would you get the likes of it?

Again get onto the NTA if you feel there is flaws in it they look after it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

IE 222 wrote: »
    Their is no plans for an extra 125 buses most are fleet renewals meaning a small pool will be for expansion.

As far as I'm aware the NTA has not announced it's plans for additional buses for 2018, other than the fact they have said that there will be additional buses coming in 2018 in the media briefings today.
    Your seem to forgetting your own statement that GA will offering more frequencies on these routes so if the current fleet can't meet it now I can't see how GA can without a large investment.

New buses arrive every year, they have arrived in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, whoever won the tender there would be new buses ordered in 2018 so I'm not sure what relevance GA is to this because there are always new buses coming every year.
    Surely other major DB routes will get expansion first so again extra buses will be rrquired which is vwry much the opposite of what the NTA were telling us today.

There are 30 buses for expansion this year that will no doubt be used for that, when GA take over the routes they will recieve buses, if they will be from the 2018 order or from Dublin Bus, nobody knows, but the NTA has said that the resources freed up by routes going to GA will be redeployed in increasing frequency fro the DB routes.

I really do think the NTA have thrown you a bone here and can't get enough of it. If it's as easy and simple as you seem to think it is this would of been years ago by DB themselves.
    With a bit of look this goes tits up and the NTA themselves are scaled back.

You might want a development which will result in more frequent services, new bus services, more reliable services from increased PVR, more people using public transport and less congestion to fail, but I don't because I want a service to suit the people of this city and serve them as well as possible.

I do find it astounding and can't comprehend why someone would want such things to fail, unless they just believe that ideology being met is more important than the public transport users of this country.

Quite frankly the number of moderator actions on this thread today depresses me.

Some of the posts on here today could be considered defamatory and freedom of expression is not a defence, the right to a good name always will trump the right to freedom of expression with absolutely no exceptions.

It is fine for people to discuss and criticise the tender and process and we will always welcome such kind of scrutiny on this forum, however specific allegations related to criminal activity are not acceptable and will not be tolerated.

There has been some excellent and respectful discussion on here today despite the differing views and opinions of many posters and we want to see more of that but at the same time some of the more undesirable posting needs to stop otherwise do not be surprised if you are handed a sanction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭john boye

With a bit of look this goes tits up and the NTA themselves are scaled back.

See, I was able to take your posts seriously up until that last line when the mask slipped. "Yeah, let's get back to the good ol' days when CIE didn't have to answer to anyone and could just do what they wanted and everyone was happy as Larry"*

*Except for pax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Does anyone know how Go-Ahead's overall safety record compares with that of Dublin Bus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Quick question.

Profit-driven private company. Where do the profits ultimately come from?

Lesser pay and conditions?
    Cuts to services and standards?

Because that's essentially what "increased efficiency" translates to in the private sector.

Or maybe it'll be increased prices?
    Government subsidies to a private company?

The profit has to come from somewhere. What am I missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Quick question.

Profit-driven private company. Where do the profits ultimately come from?

Lesser pay and conditions?

Because that's essentially what "increased efficiency" translates to in the private sector.

The profit has to come from somewhere. What am I missing?

Having to build a garage somewhat equidistant to all the areas they'll be serving is likely to hamper their efficiency and - in the event of breakdowns - their standards. They can neither cut services nor increase their prices, so that leaves pay and conditions. Hopefully they won't reduce pay and conditions to UK levels. If that happens, it's very possible that driving or maintaining a bus will no longer be seen as a viable career option. It'll just be one of those jobs that people do while they're waiting for something better to come along. Such a "race to the bottom" scenario raises the question that a high staff turnover might have serious repercussions where safety is concerned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

tabbey wrote: »
    I agree some of them carry large numbers of passengers, and they would carry much larger numbers if the routes were simplified to make them more rapid and reliable, the 75 is the classic example.

175? Is this a proposed route or an existing one ?. I am not familiar with it.

175 is a split of the 75. The details are supposedly subject to public consultation but given that the tender is agreed the route has probably been finalised.

As far as I know both 75 and 175 will run along differing routes from tallaght to dun laoghaire. Both busses will be faster than the current 75 while ensuring that all catchment areas are still served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

With this tendering out to Go Ahead what will happen to the buses stabled out in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

So DB has one of the best training set ups in Europe and was able to train up 6 new drivers every couple of weeks to pass the test and reach high standards in driving, customer service and so on. Lots of training busses and lots of qualified trainers. Lots of class room and lots of driving practice. At least 6 week intensive training for each person, as well as 2 weeks route mentoring and refresher training twice a year, Oh and the compulsory CPC training as well . All done on a decent training salary.

How the hell is GA going to do this when they dont even have a garage to operate out of at the moment.

They need around 350 drivers. What are they going to do... ?? Just start taking on anyone with a D grade licence that did not make the cut for DB. They wont be able to offer anything like DB can to new drivers.

How are these drivers going to feel whenever they get offered a hell of a lot less into the bargain.

And thats only the drivers. What about skilled mechanics what know the busses?

This is no small thing they have taken on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

brokenarms wrote: »
    This is no small thing they have taken on.

It's just as well they already do this in other countries then, isn't it?

If they are suddenly struck by collective amnesia, they'll be able to rely on all the experts here to show them how to run a bus company.

Some of the posts here are just daft. Anyone with any direct experience of working with Dublin Bus know the rampant inefficiencies that go on there. Suggesting that there's no way another company could operate in a more efficient way (and I don't mean just by paying drivers less) is farsical.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

By leaving DB serving the whole network such an expansion in frequencies and services wouldn't of cost as much as they would have a bigger pool of buses and drivers to select from.

If this was the case, DBs tender would have been cheaper. It clearly wasn't

You do not even vaguely understand the maths here

DB lost because they were dearer. You can't fluff and fudge around that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

350 drivers and 125 buses = €millions

The NTA has identified this demand for these routes. Presumably if DB won the same numbers would be required. A swing and a miss there I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

The NTA has identified this demand for these routes. Presumably if DB won the same numbers would be required. A swing and a miss there I'm afraid.

You really have to admire the determination in trying to paint increased competition, increased services and routes at lower cost as a bad thing purely because they are not being provided by Dublin Bus.

At the end of the day it shouldn't matter who provides the service as long as it is of a good consistent quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

L1011 wrote: »
    If this was the case, DBs tender would have been cheaper. It clearly wasn't

You do not even vaguely understand the maths here

DB lost because they were dearer. You can't fluff and fudge around that

If you don't have full access to both DB and GA submissions for this tender, you can honestly say that.

Would someone be able to obtain these under FOI?

liger wrote: »
    If you don't have full access to both DB and GA submissions for this tender, you can honestly say that.

Why honestly would the NTA pick the more expensive option? And keep in mind they are picking the option that more expensive than the highly inefficient DB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

There would have been very little between the 2 scores on the service and quality aspect of the tender, most companies would expect to get full marks on these sections.

That leaves price as the only differentiation.

amcalester wrote: »
    There would have been very little between the 2 scores on the service and quality aspect of the tender, most companies would expect to get full marks on these sections.

Indeed. The NTA are providing the buses and stops so no differentiator there. They will also mandate the routes and time times.

The only thing really available for differentiation that I can think of would be cleaning and maintenance and any tender worth it's salt would be cleaning the buses nightly and servicing as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bambi wrote: »
    Wouldnt it be mad stuff altogether if these Go Ahead lads started using a RPTI solution that was actually real time

Sure where would you get the likes of it?
    In all seriousness, as someone pointed out the entry of a second operator into the market puts some heavy requirements on the NTA to get their sh1t together.

There are a lot of back-office services like RTPI that the NTA have been relying on Dublin Bus to build and run, which they will now have to formally take control of so that the Go Ahead routes can be seamlessly incorporated into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

GA are going to have to move pretty quickly if they want things to be ready in just over a year.

For a new depot to be built on a greenfield site, or to have an existing building converted for use requires planning permission. I think many will agree that the planning process in this country is usually slow.

If there is to be one depot, it would have to be strategically placed somewhere around the middle of the M50 ring in order to access its areas of operations in a reasonably quick manner.

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    Having to build a garage somewhat equidistant to all the areas they'll be serving is likely to hamper their efficiency and - in the event of breakdowns - their standards. They can neither cut services nor increase their prices, so that leaves pay and conditions. Hopefully they won't reduce pay and conditions to UK levels. If that happens, it's very possible that driving or maintaining a bus will no longer be seen as a viable career option. It'll just be one of those jobs that people do while they're waiting for something better to come along. Such a "race to the bottom" scenario raises the question that a high staff turnover might have serious repercussions where safety is concerned.

Yet despite all of these so called problems with efficiency, overall it still appears that they can do it for less and win a tender which should never be the case if Dublin Bus is as efficient as many people claim.
    175 is a split of the 75. The details are supposedly subject to public consultation but given that the tender is agreed the route has probably been finalised.

As far as I know both 75 and 175 will run along differing routes from tallaght to dun laoghaire. Both busses will be faster than the current 75 while ensuring that all catchment areas are still served.

Route 175 is a new route from Citywest to UCD.
    brokenarms wrote: »
    So DB has one of the best training set ups in Europe and was able to train up 6 new drivers every couple of weeks to pass the test and reach high standards in driving, customer service and so on. Lots of training busses and lots of qualified trainers. Lots of class room and lots of driving practice. At least 6 week intensive training for each person, as well as 2 weeks route mentoring and refresher training twice a year, Oh and the compulsory CPC training as well . All done on a decent training salary.

How the hell is GA going to do this when they dont even have a garage to operate out of at the moment.

Fortunately they have between 15-18 months to figure that out so what they have at the moment isn't that important, what is important is what they will have 18 months down the line when they operate all services

Its implausible that, with a tender so heavily weighted towards cost, a dearer bidder would win. DB's customer service record is exorable but GoAhead have Southern Rail on theirs so there wouldn't have been any chance for benefit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

john boye wrote: »
    See, I was able to take your posts seriously up until that last line when the mask slipped. "Yeah, let's get back to the good ol' days when CIE didn't have to answer to anyone and could just do what they wanted and everyone was happy as Larry"*

*Except for pax

Mask slipped seriously were have I mentioned CIE at all. Nothing has changed the NTA are the new CIE same bunch of pen pushers who probably have little to no experience of the transport industry.

All we get is crayons and drawings from them and even then they outsource any transport planning to foreign companies. Tell me one ground breaking world exclusive piece of infrastructure the NTA has introduced. The way of the world has brought most changes into the transport network WiFi, real time, charging ports ect these are basic items that are cheap add ons or even offered free to secure a deal when purchasing new products from suppliers don't be fooling yourselves thinking this was the NTAs brainchild idea.

Dublin bus made a €2 million profit last year the NTAs response is to strip them of funding rather then letting them use that money to reinvest in some of their own initiatives. Instead we are now going to put that 2 million towards paying GA to run a few minor services.

Ever since the NTA have come in disputes have increased strikes have become more aggressive and that's across all sectors. Get the timetables, routes and journey times right before adding the little extras like WiFi after all it's a bus route we want.

Instead we are now going to put that 2 million towards paying GA to run a few minor services.

Services which Dublin Bus are currently paid to operate, and looked for more money than GoAhead to operate in the future.

You do not understand this tender process at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

L1011 wrote: »
    You do not want to understand this tender process at all.

FYP.

Mask slipped seriously were have I mentioned CIE at all. Nothing has changed the NTA are the new CIE same bunch of pen pushers who probably have little to no experience of the transport industry.

The NTA have done more for intergration and providing a proper intergrated system in their time than CIE have in their history, CIE are a parent group, the NTA are a regulator, there is a huge difference.
    All we get is crayons and drawings from them and even then they outsource any transport planning to foreign companies. Tell me one ground breaking world exclusive piece of infrastructure the NTA has introduced. The way of the world has brought most changes into the transport network WiFi, real time, charging ports ect these are basic items that are cheap add ons or even offered free to secure a deal when purchasing new products from suppliers don't be fooling yourselves thinking this was the NTAs brainchild idea.

They integrated a lot of things where the state companies were trying to prevent integration because of the fact they see their own brands as more important than the public service and integrated transport overall. The state companies were all pulling in their own direction and not considering the wider system which is why the NTA were needed.

There are many people who benefit from the Leap Visitor Card, fare capping, Real Time Information Screens, an increase of double deckers in regional cities, re-designed networks in Towns and cities outside Dublin, the increase in inter-city transport which has encouraged massive modal shift, Leap Card, Wifi, proper integrated journey planning and mapping just to name a few.
    Dublin bus made a €2 million profit last year the NTAs response is to strip them of funding rather then letting them use that money to reinvest in some of their own initiatives.

Instead we are now going to put that 2 million towards paying GA to run a few minor services.

But didn't you say previously public transport companies are not designed to make a profit? Besides that money was given to Bus Eireann who had a budget over-run who needed it far more than Dublin Bus did.

That's before we discuss the fatal flaw in your argument yesterday that you claimed that the operators can do nothing anyway because the NTA controls something, now you contradict yourself saying if the operators keep the money saying they could have reinvested in their own initiatives, something yesterday you said no operator can do.

I doubt the people who reply on those services call them minor, but since you've said that you want them to fail and the whole thing goes tits up, I guess you couldn't care less about the people who use them to travel to work, university and school.
    Ever since the NTA have come in disputes have increased strikes have become more aggressive and that's across all sectors. Get the timetables, routes and journey times right before adding the little extras like WiFi after all it's a bus route we want.

Indeed, unfortunately the unions and the transport workers don't like the fact that there is a body that is going to stand up for the public transport users in this country rather than sitting back and passively watch the service be run on behalf of the staff and the state companies like it did in the past.

The service level is dictated by the NTA and services are being expanded by 35%
    The prices are not set by the operator they are set by the NTA
    The public company required higher subsidy to do the same service.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

amcalester wrote: »

What I am saying is that unless you have access to both submissions then you are guessing, but Ireland isn't know for being transparent.

Why would the give it to GA... well there is something to be said for going through the process and then leaving it with DB looking bad and a waste of time and money by the NTA.

DB have exceeded all standards set out by the NTA, Have existing infrastructure in place to serve these orbital routes without as much wasted mileage as GA will suffer so yes, it just looks like The NTA wanted to break DB hold on the network.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Explain exactly how it will cost the taxpayer more than if DB won the tender?

People here are arguing costs, but it's not the end cost that is generally the issue in a tender process. It's justifying the cost. Dublin Bus likely submitted something for the sake of it to follow the process through and see how it runs.

The Tax payer doesn't lose out on the costs of new buses for Go-Ahead as these'll likely be absorbed by anyone else who takes on the services at a later time.

The only issue I have with the process is that Dublin Bus are prevented from operating in the same way as Go-Ahead.

• Advertisement

rather then letting them use that money to reinvest in some of their own initiatives..

If ever a sentence sent a shiver down my spine. DB would just squandered the money like they've done so many times before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement