Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twin Peaks (2017) [Showtime/Sky Atlantic] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,450 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I loved it totally bonkers totally Lynch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Does anyone know of a legit streaming/download service, available in Ireland (or potentially using a VPN?) where I can pay to watch these new episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

pasta-solo wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a legit streaming/download service, available in Ireland (or potentially using a VPN?) where I can pay to watch these new episodes?

NOW TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Riskymove wrote: »
    NOW TV

Thanks! And can I stream the eps when I choose, or do I need to be home at a specific airing time?

EDIT - just signed up for a free trial, they only have Episode 3 & 4 available. Odd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I really enjoyed the first two season but hated the movie and I'm really disappointed with the 4 new episodes.

It's nigh on unwatchable film school nonsense. God awful acting performances, terrible cheapo visual effects and pretty much no coherent plot other than: "weirdness!!!" . Lynch must be laughing all the way to the bank that he managed to get TV execs to pay him for this drivel.

• Advertisement

Twin Peaks the original laid the foundation for modern tv way back in 1991.
    Lynch was never going to be able to match that feat or even come close to it.
    Think that I'll give this a miss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

glasso wrote: »
    Twin Peaks the original laid the foundation for modern tv way back in 1991.
    Lynch was never going to be able to match that feat or even come close to it.
    Think that I'll give this a miss.

I would say the premiere is easily the finest, most assured, and least constrained two hours of Twin Peaks to date. If it doesn't revolutionise television again - a rather incredible demand - in terms of artistry it is nonetheless on a completely different plain than what is to be expected from modern prestige television. Nobody captures nightmare (ill)logic quite like David Lynch does here, and I've never seen anything like it in a major TV show before (sorry, Bryan Fuller). This cuts down (but doesn't abandon) the soap operatics and instead goes full on with the disturbing, disquieting edge that was always the original series' strongest feature.

If Mullholland Drive / Inland Empire lost you, this probably will too. As someone who thinks they're his finest works, alongside Eraserhead, this was thrilling and cannot wait for more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭briany

Main complaint so far is that I was given access to 4 episodes in a single day :pac: Might be better to string this ride out a little....

'Pure heroin' Twin Peaks? Absolutely. It's more Twin Peaks for fans of Lynch than fans of the show, but I suppose that many of those who were anticipating series 3 are Lynch fans because casual viewers probably moved on and had 25 years to move even further still.

It's not just a mish-mash of artistic masturbation, either. There is a story going on that is already being dissected, with the feeling that more elements will make sense as time goes on. It's worth remembering that Lynch has always collaborated on TP with Mark Frost who, being the screenwriter of the pair, is probably more responsible for the actual story component of the show, and Lynch more on the visual/mood. This is where I'm glad it's not just Lynch on his own, because when you look at something like Inland Empire, it was clear that he was literally making the story up when he went along (and the documentary on making it confirms this).

The place where it does get very abstract is in the Lodges and associated realms, but those have always been places of confusion right from episode one.
    If Lynch wants to turn the Man From Another Place into an electric nerve tree with a brain on top, you kind of just accept it.

But totally agree with Johnny, here - even though I'm not a fan of everything Lynch has ever done and can find him to be self-indulgent, there's still no-one who can put a nightmarish atmosphere on film like he can. It's not even that he puts monsters on screen. It's like his old story about all the ants coming out of the log - about what's just below the surface, or just in the shadow, what's on the periphery. It's a mysterious 'cowboy', something behind a diner, a gas mask or a shadow behind a red curtain. None of those things listed sound scary by themselves, but Lynch has a way of putting them in a certain context, filmed a certain way that arouses both my fear and curiosity in a way that no other director quite can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

it's definitely not for everyone - i can see people switching it off after 20 minutes. but i loved it! best two hours of tv i've seen in ages. well worth the wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

2 episodes of bonkers is enough for me tonight, I'll leave the next 2 till tomorrow

had to break my bollix laughing at some of the more bizarre scenes especially in the White Lodge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

lawlolawl wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the first two season but hated the movie and I'm really disappointed with the 4 new episodes.

It's nigh on unwatchable film school nonsense. God awful acting performances, terrible cheapo visual effects and pretty much no coherent plot other than: "weirdness!!!" . Lynch must be laughing all the way to the bank that he managed to get TV execs to pay him for this drivel.

Even though I enjoyed it to a degree, I agree with this. It's pretty much nothing to do with Twin Peaks as I remember it (so far), the original sprinkled weirdness amid coherent plot and sympathetic characters. This is full on Lynch with no one to say "No" to him....sometimes that is not a good thing.

Still, I'll watch a bit more.

jpm4 wrote: »
    Even though I enjoyed it to a degree, I agree with this. It's pretty much nothing to do with Twin Peaks as I remember it (so far), the original sprinkled weirdness amid coherent plot and sympathetic characters. This is full on Lynch with no one to say "No" to him....sometimes that is not a good thing.

Still, I'll watch a bit more.

I actually managed to get through all 4 episodes somehow.

It's utter twaddle.

He just paid some film students that were fans of his a couple of hundred bucks to throw together something vaguely in his style and roped in some current/past Hollywood stars for free who thought it would be cool to be in Twin Peaks to make an appearance. The Cera scene was one of the worst things I have ever witnessed on a TV show.

The greatest show biz scam artist of our time. More power to him to be able to get people to say he is a genius when this utter steaming ****e is all he has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Jaysis, my head is melted after that!

I loved the first two series back in the day, but haven't revisited them since (nor seen the movie) and I can't remember it being this...well...mind- bendingly bizarre.

I'm hoping the ensuing episodes are a bit less self indulgent and start to follow some manner of cohesive plot. It's fascinating to watch, but it will need to revert to telling a story at some stage or I can see it losing viewers. Nostalgia will only get you so far...you have to get people interested in the journey after the initial hook.

I'll watch the next episode (ep.2 or 3? i'm not even sure what episode comes next!) and hope for the best.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

siblers wrote: »
    Ah, that makes sense.
    A quote that was not used by anyone talking about the opening two episodes :pac:

I really enjoyed that and the creeping sense of unease throughout. The sound design, as johnny_ultimate pointed out, was wonderful.

I can see why people wouldn't like it - although I'll agree it can be seen as highly self indulgent too. Don't care - Lynch the lunatic has been given full reign here. I wonder how many people will drop off this thread if it continues on in this surreal manner.

It's an objectively bad show by a guy who is coasting by on his reputation and good will from stars who want to be associated with a project with a lot of nostalgic value.

This thread will be 3 or 4 Lynch headcases discussing this utter garbage nonsense between themselves from now on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Watched the first 3 episode and finding it riveting. So far it resembles a much longer and slower paced version of Lynch's post-Twin Peaks work. The narrative is unconventional but not incoherent. Whether it's all going to coalesce into an emotionally engaging story (rather than plot) remains to be seen, but I'm confident it will. Lynch films always do. He's an artist first and foremost but one who understands that movies and tv are storytelling mediums. But he shot this as basically an 18 hour movie and broke it into segments in editing, so the episodes are not going to have the kind of digestible quality we expect from tv drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Have watched the first 3 episodes and will probably hold off on episode 4 until later this week so I don't have as big a gap until episode 5, but I'm loving it so far. Yeah, sure it's probably gonna be far too 'out there' for some people, and I myself probably wouldn't stick with any other show that spent so much time that gave up lengthy scenes to showing us an empty box, but it managed to maintain my attention throughout and I'm genuinely intrigued to see how it will all play out, so I'm in for the long haul.

I had a few genuine laugh out loud moments in episode 3 particularly during the
    Something's missing/Chocolate Bunny
    scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,090 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm loving it tbh, the only part I am not wild about it the cameo's. Takes me out of the trance so to speak.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

lawlolawl wrote: »
    This thread will be 3 or 4 Lynch headcases discussing this utter garbage nonsense between themselves from now on.

Great outcome, looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Watched the first two episodes so far. Loved it. 10/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

watched the four episodes so far. Its mad but then again what did I expect. You have to just watch it and not try to make sense of it. whether it will sustain 18hours I doubt it. Maybe a 6 to 8 hour series would have been better and would have cut out a lot of the meandering nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Really enjoyed it, much more Fire Walk With Me than Peaks s.1. Can't wait for more.

Opening half of episode three is one of David Lynch's most effective stretches of sustained surrealism. Love the SFX work, the effects have a pleasingly handmade quality and lots of character. I believe one of the issues (if you could call it that) with prestige television is that only a handful really allow a cohesive authorial voice to slip through. In that sense, this is pretty much in a league of its own, albeit with Mark Frost's guiding hand tangibly sustaining that unique Twin Peaks interaction between the horror and the farce.

Episode four, in contrast to the earlier ones, is the most 'traditional' episode of the run so far. Significantly plays up the bizarro comedy, and again embraces the satire of American social norms that was one of the core principles of the series. A few belly laughs, and plenty of delightfully silly moments. The entire
    Michael Cera scene
    is that balancing act between the terrible and the sublime that stood out in the earliest episodes of the original series. I can barely guess where they're going with the
    'Cooper in Las Vegas' stuff
    but it's gloriously nutty stuff so far. Which isn't to say the darkness isn't present - the
    'Dark Cooper' scene
    brought back that sense of unease and weird hyper-reality that dominated in the first three episodes. It's perhaps the least effective episodes in terms of pacing, but even with its more grounded (lol jk it's still insane) tone it's still completely its own strange, defiant thing. More please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 16,403 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well watched the first 2 episodes last night and I couldn't make head or tail of what was going on but having seen the previous series i know it will slowly start to make sense as it goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Only 14 hours left in the Twin Peaks universe... :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Really enjoyed those four episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭flandabieduzie

I'm playing catch up still and haven't seen the new ones. Someone mentioned that the first two seasons are available in sky demand, is Fire Walk With Me available also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

It's madness. I don't know much of Lynch's work, but I loved the original Twin Peaks. The 4 episodes held my attention and I will watch the rest of it just to make a judgement on it as a whole. But I dunno, a bit off the deep end for me so far

Advertisement