Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lycamobile

Options
  • 19-02-2017 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

hi is there anybody with lycamobile ?
    how do you find them.
    twice i requested a sim by email & also by phone but no go.

thanks
    tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭misty76

Quick query and apologies if asked before and i cant find answers on the thread, if anyone can help it would be great, topped up 5 euro, opted into the 4.99 for 5 GB for the month. Can someone help me find out how much data I have left, I'm registered on the site too but it makes zero sense to me. Would be very grateful if someone can explain who just has an internet bundle how I know how much I have used and have left. I thought data would count down and be simple to observe but I can't figure it out, thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Guys, go to the Lycamobile thread on Bargain Alerts. Most questions are answered there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057604420

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭coolvale

i sent them a query as to when i can expect my sim over a week ago but received no reply just the usual automitic reply saying they received my query.

tony

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭xlogo

Anybody used their roaming in the US and whats it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 eduzzino5

I know I'm probably too late...but I'm using lyca since July and everything is great!
    For quick info I ask them on FB and it's pretty alright. If you have the Data XS plan (5gb/4.99eur) and you want to know your remaining balance just dial *137# and it will show on your display

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭horse7

Be very careful of the boxes you tick or untick,they have a crafty automatic monthly payment hidden in there set up. And it's pretty well hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I changed last year but 3 months later I changed away from them. Data speeds were poor, not a patch on 3G from vf or meteor. But big issue was some calls not connecting and texts either going missing or being received many multiples of times. CS did look into it but couldn't find issue so just gave up. Wasn't a lot of calls or texts to be fair but with family and kids, I couldn't put up with uncertainty anymore. Reception is usual MVNO using old o2 network

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭horse7

So they took 15 EUR from my PayPal account. I rang them (Philippines) and of course they were sorry but they couldn't help. I was told to email them to request the money back. Which I did. It now turns out instead of refunding my PayPal ,they cancelled the one month free calls and 10 GB bundle,and put the money in an ordinary charge for every call and data service, which lasted 2 weeks. No notification or discussion at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Asked about new roaming rates,Still have not answered

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Do they have PAYG. If so what is the deal with roaming in Europe for PAYG from the new roaming rules from June 17th this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Lyca have said no changes yet, nor is any available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

Bought a SIM card on 9th of May. Phoned to be told it was dispatched on 12th. No sign ofvit today. 3 of the 4 attempted calls had me hanging on for 30 mins until I got fed up. No reply to my emails. Give this lot a swerve believe me. Dreadful company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JohnRos17

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!! As I travel a lot, I joined Lycamobile due to their international coverage. Unfortunately I have had problem after problem with Lycamobile since I joined. Currently I cannot use my phone (even to ring them for help) and they are not responding to my emails. It's incredible, I have even got the Irish Commission for Communications Regulation (Comreg) involved and Lycamobile are still not helping! They might be cheap but their customer service is the worst I have ever been involved with. Now with roaming rates scrapped in EU, I wish I had just stayed with my old provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pay peanuts get monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭jets

dreadful dreadful company.
    I would go so far as to say its a scam.
    their customer service number leaves you waiting and waiting and when i did get through to somebody I got cut off after 10 mins of waiting on them to figure out what i was asking them. Of course you pay for the calls to customer service too.
    They also take money from your paypal unauthorised.
    AVOID AVOID AVOID

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭coolvale

i gave up on them.
    tony

• Registered Users Posts: 7 suki500

Lyca The Good and Bad. The prices are the best I could find in Ireland and there are several very good bundles available on the website. I set up my three kids on it because of the low prices but the customer service is difficult because support is in the Far East and they are inflexible and just refer you to T&C with every query. Don't pay on line as it automatically renews unless you opt out but that's almost impossible to find. Much safer to just buy a voucher in Spar or Centra. My wife and I are with Virgin Mobile and they are unable to accept calls from Lyca. I have had dozens of calls with Virgin about this and it has not yet been resolved. The problem seems to be with Virgin not with Lyca as I had similar problems several mths ago with the more common other Irish based service providers. Definitely good prices but expect a lot of work setting it up. I received the sims within a day or two or 3 separate occasions.

My previous post was quite positive about Lyca, but I have since noticed that a topup was taken automatically. I didn't intend to do this and it didn't happen on another account I set up so maybe I had to unselect it . But as a previous posted said its impossible to find. I have looked all over the account and cant see anywhere to stop the auto top up. I assume I can stop it in future and I will never use a card on their site again its much safer to buy a voucher in a shop.

Further to previous posts. Virgin Mobile say that Lyca is not set up to call Virgin Mobile . Bet this will take a zillion calls to get sorted. So I set up my 3 kids with Lyca for the prices I paid for the TopUps but they cant call either of their parents who are with Virgin. Still good prices if I can get all the problems sorted.

I couldn't find any box to stop auto top up so I called Lyca and was told you could now only do it through your phone. Which I did. They don't make it easy so its much better to buy a voucher in a shop, which avoids auto top up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 brenmur777

Yes, I would tend to agree with the opinions expressed on Boards.ie regarding the poor customer service. Customer service agents who speak bad English with an American accent. Today, I had a problem, that my Lycamobile SIM card would not function when I inserted it into another phone. Of course, I phoned Lycamobile customer service and said that the phone message asked for a SIM 'unlock Code'
    He said "What is the error message" I said twice to him "There is no 'error' message, the phone is requesting a SIM unlock Code. After several attempts to get him to understand, he said that he could not help me because he did not know why the phone didn't work. He then disconnected me. I am quite sure of that, because the same thing had happened me on a few occasions previously.
    In any case, after several hours searching the Internet for information on 'Unlock Codes' I learned that the network who sold me the phone (In this case Tescomobile Ireland) locks every phone into their own Network. While searching the Internet, I came across many, many advertisements to buy 'Unlock Codes' It's just as well, I wasn't gullible to be taken in. Finally, I phoned TescoMobile Ireland. Their customer service agent told me that they would contact the Manufacturer of the phone and request an unlock code to be sent to me by E-mail. And no, I did not cost me anything. However, if I had to depend on Lycamobile to help me, I would still be none the wiser!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

brenmur777 wrote: »
    Yes, I would tend to agree with the opinions expressed on Boards.ie regarding the poor customer service. Customer service agents who speak bad English with an American accent. Today, I had a problem, that my Lycamobile SIM card would not function when I inserted it into another phone. Of course, I phoned Lycamobile customer service and said that the phone message asked for a SIM 'unlock Code'
    He said "What is the error message" I said twice to him "There is no 'error' message, the phone is requesting a SIM unlock Code. After several attempts to get him to understand, he said that he could not help me because he did not know why the phone didn't work. He then disconnected me. I am quite sure of that, because the same thing had happened me on a few occasions previously.
    In any case, after several hours searching the Internet for information on 'Unlock Codes' I learned that the network who sold me the phone (In this case Tescomobile Ireland) locks every phone into their own Network. While searching the Internet, I came across many, many advertisements to buy 'Unlock Codes' It's just as well, I wasn't gullible to be taken in. Finally, I phoned TescoMobile Ireland. Their customer service agent told me that they would contact the Manufacturer of the phone and request an unlock code to be sent to me by E-mail. And no, I did not cost me anything. However, if I had to depend on Lycamobile to help me, I would still be none the wiser!

Almost all phones sold by any network in Ireland are locked to that network anbd must be unlocked to be used on a different network. I dont know how you can blame lyca for tesco locking your phone as Lyca would have no way of unlocking as they did not apply the lock in the first place.

No, you misunderstand. I do not blame Lycamobile for this situation. The information that you provide is correct i.e. that Networks lock the phone. However, after a lot of searching, I found this information on the Lycamobile Help page or FAQs. It said that if you have been with the provider for a year, they should unlock the phone for you at no charge. If you have not been with them a year, then you should ask how much does it cost to unlock the phone? The point I wish to make is that if this information was on the Lycamobile web page, then either the Lycamobile customer service agent should have been aware of that. Failing that he should have referred my call to the Technical Department, assuming that Lycamobile has such. All the agent said to me was that he could not help me because he could do nothing further, then he cut me off. Hardly a recommendation for good customer service!

So today, I had another problem with Lycamobile. I attempted to change the Lycamobile number they had given me back to my old number. When you phone, you get an automated voice message saying the best way to do this is on-line. I then logged into my Lycamobile on-line account. I typed all my information into the 'required fields' and then clicked 'Submit' Nothing happened. When I looked to see what could have been wrong, there was a message in red "This field is required" That was over my 'First name' field. Except that I had entered my first name! So I deleted it and tried again by tying my name a second time. Then I clicked 'Submit' Nothing happened. After 3 attempts, I gave up and phoned Lycamobile customer service. I then had to give all the information one bit at a time, which took a considerable amount of time. I was then told that I would receive a text message. I did not receive any text message.
    I was then asked what was my old number, although I had made a point of speaking clearly and slowly so that there may be no mistakes. The customer service agent had been using the wrong phone number. Having to once more explain slowly and clearly what my old phone number was, I finally got a text message that my number would be transferred within 24 hours. I live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 vcorm

First, it was wonderful until I need to renew my bundle, I could do it online so I called customer service 1923, I had the port in a bundle, the team members took my money and give me another bundle, that was not the one I request to renew. then I call back.... BIG lie, port in bundle is only for one month, but term and condition writing 6 month?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AgaP

I am working on a college project to improve the user experience of a Lyaca Mobile website. If you are/was using prepaid top-up for your mobile, would you mind to fill in a survey for me? Here is a link: forms.gle/gip62x2MUE9AkYGX8
    If you can, please share the questionnaire link with your friends. Thanks so much! Cheers :)

Advertisement