Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HID kit for BMW F10

Options
  • 27-01-2017 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭

Just raising this old thread rather than a new one as I want to get a HID kit for my BMW F10..the standard BMW halogen lights have always been crap.
    Basically since I travel a lot of dark country roads I want both my high and low beams to be HID..I'm wondering did anyone get this done to their car etc and what their thoughts are on them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Don't use HIDs for the full beam. They take a while to warm up to full output so by the time they give out decent light you will probably have to turn them off. Plus the bulb/ballast will wear very quickly from all the ignition cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Blazer wrote: »
    Just raising this old thread rather than a new one as I want to get a HID kit for my BMW F10..the standard BMW halogen lights have always been crap.
    Basically since I travel a lot of dark country roads I want both my high and low beams to be HID..I'm wondering did anyone get this done to their car etc and what their thoughts are on them?

Do you have engraved DC or DR on the lights? Or only HC HCR or HC/R? If the latter, don't...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

grogi wrote: »
    Do you have engraved DC or DR on the lights? Or only HC HCR or HC/R? If the latter, don't...

I've no idea what any of that is ? :o

I've no idea what any of that is ? :o

It's the approval of the light source in particular light assembly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

He has H7 bulbs :)

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    He has H7 bulbs :)

I know. But sometimes the assembly was approved to be used with both - halogen and hids.

If there is no hid source approval, it is a NCT fail (for a very good reason): https://www.ncts.ie/media/1004/nct-manual-july-2014.pdf, section 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

You have x2 choices.

1) Find a scrapper that has a crashed car with the headlights/washers/auto levelling system/loom/ECU etc. Then pay $$ to install them into yours.
    2) Change the car.

I know. But sometimes the assembly was approved to be used with both - halogen and hids.

If there is no hid source approval, it is a NCT fail (for a very good reason): https://www.ncts.ie/media/1004/nct-manual-july-2014.pdf, section 30.

Hid was an option on the F10 from its release but that makes no difference here. The OP will still fail the NCT with aftermarket HIDS unless there's self levelling system installed and washers fitted.

In the F10, just buy a good set of H7 bulbs or fit the kit and remove for every NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Hid was an option on the F10 from its release but that makes no difference here. The OP will still fail the NCT with aftermarket HIDS unless there's self levelling system installed and washers fitted.

In the F10, just buy a good set of H7 bulbs or fit the kit and remove for every NCT.

My last car passed NCT with an aftermarket HID fitted. I had 4300k bulbs and the lights were projectors so there was a nice clean cut off and they were aimed correctly. I actually meant to remove them and fit regular bulbs fit the test but totally forgot. That was less than 12 months ago.

One doesn't need cleaning and auto-levelling if the source gives less than 2000 lm. It is covered by ECE Regulation 48 (http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle%20Testing/veh_test_pubs/Regulation%2048%20UNECE.pdf)

• Advertisement

My last car passed NCT with an aftermarket HID fitted. I had 4300k bulbs and the lights were projectors so there was a nice clean cut off and they were aimed correctly. I actually meant to remove them and fit regular bulbs fit the test but totally forgot. That was less than 12 months ago.

What does the type approval of the headlight assembly say? If it is projector headlight, it might be approved for HID too.

Tester probably didn't notice the hid ballasts. Have you got them fixed down and out of sight?
    One doesn't need cleaning and auto-levelling if the source gives less than 2000 lm. It is covered by ECE Regulation 48 (http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle%20Testing/veh_test_pubs/Regulation%2048%20UNECE.pdf)

Link not working, either way, aftermarket hids fail an NCT test once spotted by the tester.

It does mention manual levelling if you have the button already for it? I'm assuming that's the light adjustment one?

It does mention manual levelling if you have the button already for it? I'm assuming that's the light adjustment one?

That's the adjuster for moving the beam up and down depending on load levels.
    In a xenon equipped car, this is done automatically by a levelling sensor on the axel and associated electronics.

The headlight assembly may be the same as the xenon assembly and I think that's what the other poster is getting at, but the internal workings of the headlight, projector etc are different between the halogen and xenon cars.

ok cool..that means for HID kits in my car at least and the E60 which also have the manual button for this is sufficient for HID kits for the NCT.
    I'll get I'll get the HID kit for the lows and invest in a high-end bulb for the fulls.
    Whatevers in the car at the moment I'd be better off hanging out the window and shining a flashlight up the road :D
    I've always found this with BMWs..If I ever get a new car again Xenon/LEDs will be the priority.

ok cool..that means for HID kits in my car at least and the E60 which also have the manual button for this is sufficient for HID kits for the NCT.
    I'll get I'll get the HID kit for the lows and invest in a high-end bulb for the fulls.
    Whatevers in the car at the moment I'd be better off hanging out the window and shining a flashlight up the road :D
    I've always found this with BMWs..If I ever get a new car again Xenon/LEDs will be the priority.

No. It will still fail with aftermarket hid kit fitted once the tester spots the chunky aftermarket ballast.

The manual dial is in every car made since I was born, it was in my 98 civic that I bought when I was 18.

Do a google on NCT hid kit fails, it needs headlight washers and auto levelling system. Even the cars with OEM HID like the Integra Type R were getting tried as they have xenons in a reflector housing and don't come with headlight washers. The owners had to get letters from Honda HQ to confirm this, you won't be so lucky as Bmw put the washers in with xenon as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

People got away with aftermarket Xenons for years, but nowadays it's something the NCT are actively looking for.
    And without just cause.

Plenty of idiots driving around with HID setups in reflector type housings, and with badly aligned ones in protector housings.

And I won't even get into the stupid pink fogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Tester probably didn't notice the hid ballasts. Have you got them fixed down and out of sight?

Yeah the ballasts were zip tied to the bumper support under the headlights but the wiring to the battery was clearly visible.

It's a ridiculous rule, the lights I had in my car were far superior to the halogens and not once in my 5 years ownership of that car with the HIDs fitted did I have anyone flash me to suggest they were blinding or poorly aimed. The lights produced good light even when the outer lens was covered in road grime. The problem is that the NCT wrote their stupid rules based on what manufacturers fitted to their cars. If the cars fitted with hid's never had washers then the NCT wouldn't require them either. They're not needed and people have managed without them for decades. Xenon light is actually more piercing than halogen lights and dirt and grime doesn't effect them as much as regular halogen headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is a EU wide ruling so it's not something the NCT just copied for the sake of it or car manufacturers took upon themselves for fun or fashion especially given that auto adjusting headlights and the washer system actually cost manufacturers a lot of money to develop and fit.

And from someone who has factory xenons in my car and does a fair bit of country road driving, I'm glad of the auto adjusting and washer system. Coming over a hill the angle and brightness of the xenon beam can blind oncoming traffic so the auto adjusting system tilts the angle of the beam to follow the road. Also xenon lighting is so strong and clear that any level of dirt on the lense can diminish their effectiveness very quickly so having a powered washer system is necessary unless you like cleaning your headlights before every time you get into your car for a drive.

Link not working, either way, aftermarket hids fail an NCT test once spotted by the tester.

Fixed the link.

HIDs fail when they are installed in an assembly not approved for this type of source, not because they are aftermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't drag up old threads OP.

Moved to own thread so people don't start quoting and discussing posts from several years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm glad of the auto adjusting and washer system. Coming over a hill the angle and brightness of the xenon beam can blind oncoming traffic so the auto adjusting system tilts the angle of the beam to follow the road.

I have factory Xenons too, but I don't think that I have this feature. I thought it only works based on the front/rear ride height in case the car is heavily loaded in the rear. I've never noticed them work as an "active" leveling system when driving.

balls..well I think my NCT is 2 years away so I could always swap them out.

Fixed the link.

HIDs fail when they are installed in an assembly not approved for this type of source, not because they are aftermarket.

NCT don't even check headlight assembly approval. They see aftermarket ballast, it fails full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Before you go to the expense of fitting HIDs or playing with bulbs that may fail, I'd recommend you try these:

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/osram-night-breaker-laser-h7-twin

(Use the discount code 'NEWBULB!' for 20% off, ends tomorrow I think)

The Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs were amazing and I just got a set of these as they are the newest version of them. Can't be faulted, great light, crisp beam and like yourself I'm often on unlit country roads. Its incredible the output they get from them. I've heard the life is a little shorter than a standard bulb but I haven't changed a set yet and they are in all the cars. Literally the best money you can spend on your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭locha

ironclaw wrote: »
    Before you go to the expense of fitting HIDs or playing with bulbs that may fail, I'd recommend you try these:

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/osram-night-breaker-laser-h7-twin

(Use the discount code 'NEWBULB!' for 20% off, ends tomorrow I think)

The Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs were amazing and I just got a set of these as they are the newest version of them. Can't be faulted, great light, crisp beam and like yourself I'm often on unlit country roads. Its incredible the output they get from them. I've heard the life is a little shorter than a standard bulb but I haven't changed a set yet and they are in all the cars. Literally the best money you can spend on your car.

Are the Osram Night ligts just for the main beam, I a have an F10 and I find it's the dims that are absolutely shocking on it. Any recommendations for dim lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

locha wrote: »
    Are the Osram Night ligts just for the main beam, I a have an F10 and I find it's the dims that are absolutely shocking on it. Any recommendations for dim lights?

The same size of bulb H7 fits both high and low beam.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭locha

Thanks @pa990. So I would need 4 bulbs if I wanted to replace the dims and main beams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

locha wrote: »
    Thanks @pa990. So I would need 4 bulbs if I wanted to replace the dims and main beams.

Yes.

Your manual should tell you along with the PowerBulb website to confirm. The H7 is a single lamp, unlike the H4 which is dips and mains in one.

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    Yes.

Your manual should tell you along with the PowerBulb website to confirm. The H7 is a single lamp, unlike the H4 which is dips and mains in one.

Again, I don't know F10 at all. But the main/dimed might be done by simply moving the cover, especially if they are projector lights.

Advertisement