Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

receiving TV via UPC wall connection but not subscribed?

Options
  • 11-01-2017 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi - just moved into a rental property. I plugged the wall cable into the UPC box and connected to TV, tuned in "analogue" (which I know must just access the aerial which is receiving the digital signal) and have a fair few channels.

I *think* I am just receiving the free to air digital channels but don't want to be stung by UPC suddenly telling me that I need to pay.

Am I right in thinking that the UPC just accesses the aerial and without a set top box, etc, I am not getting channels that I should be charged for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

These channels? They're analogue channels still carried on the cable network, nothing to do with an aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AGrownUpTheySay

Ok...yes, those channels. So free? Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

That is normal you cannot encrypt analogue, only way for them to stop you viewing the stations is for an engineer to come out to the property and physically disconnect it.

Ok...yes, those channels. So free? Right?

You cannot buy a analogue package anymore, existing customers are still paying but how does this work then as the OP said free now? I remember paying for them alright.

Ok, thanks so I won't be suddenly charged for them or anything? I have Virgin broadband and don't want to pay for TV but if I can have this for free, that's grand!

• Advertisement

Oh, and I realise that UPC have rebranded as Virgin...so Virgin are teh ones I am hoping won't suddenly charge me!

Ok, thanks so I won't be suddenly charged for them or anything? I have Virgin broadband and don't want to pay for TV but if I can have this for free, that's grand!

Nothing mentioned in the terms so go nuts I presume.

Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,495 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Oh, and I realise that UPC have rebranded as Virgin...so Virgin are teh ones I am hoping won't suddenly charge me!

As said previously there is no longer an analogue subscription option for new subscribers, the channels remain for the 30,000 or so legacy analogue subscribers.

Hi Cush - so what you are saying is that someone who lived here before must have had the analogue channels subscribed and that's what I am getting?

The previous tenants were, apparently on NTL/Virgin and closed the account.
    I have now got Virgin Broadband but not signed up to TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,385 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's a cable that goes into your house from outside. The cable carries digital TV data, broadband/phone data, and analogue tv channels. You can't receive the digital stuff without a working VM digital box, you can't receive the internet/phone without a working VM modem.
    The analogue is different though, it's just signal. If the cable is connected to the network outside it just works - regardless of whether you're subscribed to digital TVs or internet or whatever.
    The only way it stops is when they switch your cable feed off outside (cutting everything off) This only happens when there is no account active in the address.
    As long as you have your broadband, and as long as VM do analogue, you'll have the chsnnels.

The previous tenants were, apparently on NTL/Virgin and closed the account.
    I have now got Virgin Broadband but not signed up to TV.

The analogue channels are carried on the same cable as broadband and digital TV, just a different frequency and they cannot be encrypted, so if you have the VM connection for broadband the analogue channels are there by default. At some point in the future, VM may switch off these channels for everyone.

Ok, grand - kind of what I thought but had the wrong terminology - thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

stevek93 wrote: »
    That is normal you cannot encrypt analogue, only way for them to stop you viewing the stations is for an engineer to come out to the property and physically disconnect it.

Really?

Sky managed it with video crypt.
    The BBC managed it with Save.
    The French managed it with Disquet.
    Film net managed it with Matsu****a system.
    The cable companies also managed it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

You should be grand, just plug out if you see this outside.
    zilu2v.jpg

winston_1 wrote: »
    The cable companies also managed it for years.

Except for Cablelink/UPC/VM cable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They used to encrypt channels in the 'old' days by messing with the sync signals but the audio was in the clear.

Unless they give out decode boxes to their analogue subscribers, encoding analogue will not happen. They will stop the service first.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,817 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Oh active line, I'd like to try something with that, can't be spoken about here though!

They used to encrypt channels in the 'old' days by messing with the sync signals but the audio was in the clear.

Unless they give out decode boxes to their analogue subscribers, encoding analogue will not happen. They will stop the service first.

I remember that now, colours all over the screen but still could hear the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

I think the sync was left alone but each line was scrambled.
    It would be unwise to leave older tv's with an unsynced timebase due to the fire hazard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

moved to cable

On the subject of encrypted analogue, it can be done and was done in other jurisdictions. In Ireland it's most prominent use was in Cork city where the service (apart from RTE/TV3/TG4) was fully encrypted due to a particular local piracy problem. Elsewhere it was very uncommon for basic cable to be encrypted. Sky Movies and Sports were. Very soon after NTL (as it was by that stage) launched it digital service, it moved all premium subscribers over (as I recall they effectively got digital for the same price as they had been paying for analogue) and discontinued all the premium channels on analogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

How do you get these free channels? (have virgin media bb sub and previously a TV sub)

Do you need to run a cable from the box to the tv and retune? Or plug the cable going into the back of the box directly into the tv and retune? I can only pick up the Irish stations, when plugged directly in to the tv (so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

You need an analogue tuner on your TV.
    The channels are spread across the old Band I and Band III frequencies.

cml387 wrote: »
    You need an analogue tuner on your TV.
    The channels are spread across the old Band I and Band III frequencies.

Have an analogue tuner alright and can get the irish stations but none of the uk ones

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Have an analogue tuner alright and can get the irish stations but none of the uk ones

The TV might not have a VHF tuner enabled, or you might only be tuning Digital. The VHF tuner is enabled by having the set as Country=Ireland and not Country=UK. The set would have VHF disabled if it is set to UK.

Where are you located? In Cork for example only the 4 Irish channels are available via analogue cable.

The Cush wrote: »
    Where are you located? In Cork for example only the 4 Irish channels are available via analogue cable.

Ah

Yup in Cork. I had read somewhere that only the 4 Irish channels were available but was hoping it was mistake.

Chorus did this in their ex-Irish Multichannel areas (with those rubbish Jerrold boxes that were really intended for NTSC) but ex-Cablelink used Cryptovision which looked very similar to Videocrypt on-screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭ozmo

Can we combine the saorview (hd rte) with the analong (other stations)?

Using eg. This

http://www.freetv.ie/tv-aerial-and-satellite-combiner/

I would like use the analong + saorview on a tv that has 1 antanae socket.
    But avoid the hassle of a separate saorview box with second remote etc.

Thanks

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

Jasus alaonge has got popular again, I remember as a kid this was all we had to entertain ourselves with.

Advertisement