Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Onhub IFTTT ready Wifi Router FAQ

Options
  • 07-11-2016 3:28pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I picked this up on adverts last week
    http://www.adverts.ie/11363100
    It was brand new, I just needed the plug adaptors

I have to say it's fantastic. I have WiFi on the footpath and the onhub is in my extension at the back of the house.

This type of coverage could be necessary of you want WiFi bells and intercoms

It has a great app and the guest WiFi is excellent , similar things like sharing the password work very well.

On top of that is has a few unusual radios, it has a Zigbee one, Philips hue and many other top quality devices use Zigbee.
    It has Bluetooth too and can link to speakers and it has a speaker itself.

It's currently the only router that's IFTTT compliant. Although I haven't thought of a use for it yet.

You can get the Hue to turn on or lightwaverf light or socket or wemo to turn on when you connect.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Will this work with Vodafone?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

If you have the little mifi box with no Ethernet port I'd say no it won't.

If you have an Ethernet port you should be fine

I hooked the onhub up to the hue bridge last night . Works well.
    I don't seem to have the rooms just lamp control with scenes .

Once I connected the hue bridge downstream of the OnHub it was very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Just got the Asus Onhub & so far I really like it. Just wondering if you've had any issues with devices missing from the Devices list? For example I'm writing this post while connected on my phone to my WiFi via the Onhub yet when I check the app my device doesn't show.

Yet to try the IFTTT but impressed with it so far.

• Advertisement

No I haven't had that issue TBH. It's a solid device for me too.

garion wrote:
    Yet to try the IFTTT but impressed with it so far.

I can't think of a reason for it. Maybe checking that kids are home or leaving ??? That's about it. I'm not using it for any IFTTT functionality ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Stoner wrote: »
    No I haven't had that issue TBH. It's a solid device for me too.

Fixed my issue. For convenience and I set the name of my OnHub Wifi to the same as my old router. Once I renamed the OnHub Wifi to something else it picks up all the devices that join it. :)

got the TP link version of this from Ebay, worked out around €140 delivered including taxes.
    Set it up last night but seemed to be a bit flaky, realised i had it connected to a normal ethernet port as oppose to the wan port, will try setting up again tonight.

Anyone find any use for IFTTT on this yet?

I've been very happy with it . I can check who is home remotely by looking at the connected log.

The family plan looks good too.

• Advertisement

I've been very happy with it . I can check who is home remotely by looking at the connected log.

I have it set up to turn on the light in the hall as soon as I pull into the driveway...very impressed with the range...no more dead spots

I've used the IFTTT action to prioritise (boost) wifi to my ring doorbell when motion is detected.

On another note . That lads have asked not to recommend this as we are using a US Device with no Irish support, it's a fair point.

I've used the IFTTT action to prioritise (boost) wifi to my ring doorbell when motion is detected.

On another note . That lads have asked not to recommend this as we are using a US Device with no Irish support, it's a fair point.

dont see why we cant recommend it? There is no Irish support for google home and Amazon Echo yet everyone has them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

I've seen that comment made also. I understand it but seriously I think you can recommend it with a caveat warning. As you can't get them here easily, I don't imagine joe bloggs will be picking it up. It'll be someone who will have looked up the details and understand what they are getting.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Because operating this device in it's current form is illegal in Ireland and boards.ie doesn't typically allow people to discuss illegal activity.

It is a very different case then importing Google Home/Alexa, there isn't anything illegal about those.

Anyway no one is saying we can't discuss it, just that we don't recommend it to people.

Anyway there are much better performing, legal and much cheaper AC1900 routers available.

fair enough, i had no idea its illegal

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

JAMM222 wrote: »
    fair enough, i had no idea its illegal

Wifi operates on different frequencies and max power outputs around the world. The frequencies and power outputs are set by the regulator of each country, FCC in the US, Ofcom in the UK, Comreg in Ireland.

The difference is because each country might have already previously licensed nearby frequencies for different uses (often decades prior to wifi being invented) for things like radar and satellite or more recently frequency used by mobile phone companies.

Operating a wireless device outside it's licensed parameters can cause interference to services using nearby frequencies. Operate a device like this near an airport or near a mobile site and you will likely get a visit from Comreg.

bk wrote: »
    Operating a wireless device outside it's licensed parameters can cause interference to services using nearby frequencies. Operate a device like this near an airport or near a mobile site and you will likely get a visit from Comreg.

While I get you are being very letter of the law here, I can't see comreg turn up to a house running a Google OnHub. It's hardly emitting a signal strong enough to generate that much interference, is it?.

Reati wrote: »
    While I get you are being very letter of the law here, I can't see comreg turn up to a house running a Google OnHub. It's hardly emitting a signal strong enough to generate that much interference, is it?.

It is unlikely, but I know for a fact that it has happened. US Wifi allows for much higher max output levels then EU standards. Comreg has a van (or vans) for detecting and triangulating radio transmissions. They are particularly sensitive to this issue near the airports, where it can interfere with radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Small devices like wireless cameras etc operating on the wrong freq have related in knocks in the door from comreg. You would be surprised at the impact that's things can have.

• Advertisement

It is unlikely, but I know for a fact that it has happened. US Wifi allows for much higher max output levels then EU standards. Comreg has a van (or vans) for detecting and triangulating radio transmissions. They are particularly sensitive to this issue near the airports, where it can interfere with radar.
    Small devices like wireless cameras etc operating on the wrong freq have related in knocks in the door from comreg. You would be surprised at the impact that's things can have.

That's really interesting to know! I didnt think a WiFi camera for example would have that much power to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

That's really interesting to know! I didnt think a WiFi camera for example would have that much power to do that!

Well, it would have to be operating in a licensed band allocated to someone else for it to get comreg attention, buy yeah, small home devices can interfere.

I know of one instance where a chip shop had two wireless bullet cams outside its premises that drew attention, and another where a lady purchased a signal blocker so that's she could avoid the "radiation" from a nearby phone mast, not realising that her signal blocker was emitting the exact same "radiation" in order to block the signal :-)

https://www.comreg.ie/industry/radio-spectrum/spectrum-compliance/enforcement/
    Enforcement

The Spectrum Compliance section is responsible for enforcing wireless telegraphy legislation within the State. This includes the Wireless Telegraphy Acts 1926 to 2009, the Broadcasting and Wireless Telegraphy Act 1988, as amended, and the R&TTE and EMC Regulations.

Possession of apparatus for wireless telegraphy without a valid licence is an offence under Section 3 of the Wireless Telegraphy Acts 1926 to 2009, liable on summary conviction to a Class A fine not exceeding €5,000 and on conviction on indictment to a fine not exceeding €250,000.

Spectrum Compliance regularly executes search warrants, issued pursuant to Section 8 of the Wireless Telegraphy Acts 1926 to 2009. Such enforcement operations typically target: unlicensed broadcasters (pirate radio stations); sellers of non-compliant radio equipment such as mobile phone repeaters; and those who refuse to cease the operation of equipment causing harmful interference.

In the past they were largely only concerned with interference to emergency services and air traffic control. But nowadays since the mobile phone companies are increasingly using frequencies close to wifi and comreg is mostly financed by the mobile industry, it shouldn't be surprising to hear that when a mobile operator tells comreg of radio interference to some of their services in an area, Comreg are quick to investigate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Using IFTTT for Sunrise / Sunset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I see Google WiFi coming to UK in April. What are the advantages of this or is it worth getting it?

I have virgin media hub upstairs and using tp link plugs for tv. Would it be worth getting this for downstairs

Advantages / Disadvantages of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Is this possible to do with a standard VM router or Airport Extreme?

I see Google WiFi coming to UK in April. What are the advantages of this or is it worth getting it?

I have virgin media hub upstairs and using tp link plugs for tv. Would it be worth getting this for downstairs

Advantages / Disadvantages of this?

Well these can operate in one of two modes:

1) Either as a wireless mesh network, where data is transmitted between them over wifi, thus halving the speed of all connected devices.

2) Using ethernet backhaul.

In the first mode I don't think they would be too much better then your current setup. However if you could run ethernet cable to the second Google wifi unit, then they could potentially give you better wireless performance then your current setup.

In this second mode, they work more similar to the highly regarded Ubiquiti WAP's, but with perhaps, more user friendly set up then the Ubiquitis.

OU812 wrote: »
    Is this possible to do with a standard VM router or Airport Extreme?

No, but to be honest, if I had this issue, I'd focus on improving my network and overall wifi performance so that it isn't needed in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

No, but to be honest, if I had this issue, I'd focus on improving my network and overall wifi performance so that it isn't needed in the first place.

Agreed. Unfortunately, I'm limited in where I can place the router.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the delay, it's answered above. It's the only IFTTT enabled router I think.

The ring doorbell I have can be very choppy . It's been used to finger a robber already though

It's the ring unit the wifi signal is very strong

It's more of a case of fixing something that shouldn't need it than anything else.

Advertisement