Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully Baked Left Wing Vegan Cookies

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

Mily Cyrus doing her best 'Leave Britney alone' moment.

I am sure she will be back to twerking in no time.

As, aside, on a more serious note are people really this weak and pathetic? I saw some people on my FB feed post that 9/11 was the worst moment in American history and that 11/9 was the second worst. Em, How about Perl Harbour, Hurricane Katrina, dozens of other days where innocent people going about their daily business died. Perhaps they would be worse days, No?

People are so willing to believe that the world is a comic book full of white knight heroes and arch villains.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Guardian journalist :pac: I get the feeling a lot of well known people will be clearing their twitter accounts or postings

Cw8LfQ8WgAAVbp1.jpg:small

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

silverharp wrote: »
    Guardian journalist :pac: I get the feeling a lot of well known people will be clearing their twitter accounts or postings

Cw8LfQ8WgAAVbp1.jpg:small

Ah here that is right out (except possibly Waterford whispers which was funny). I mean it is a joke but then you could at least just ask the second ammendments people to take care of it as that would be funny. Or say you are going to do it with a musket.

While I make light of it and right wing people complaining about it I do seriously think that sort of tweet is entirely wrong.

:D

Cw-N4jSWIAALz2A.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Christy42 wrote: »
    While I make light of it and right wing people complaining about it I do seriously think that sort of tweet is entirely wrong.
    Encouraging violence is unacceptable - whether it's a nobody, or some vacuous celebrity making some clearly stupid comment or whether it's the equally DT dog-whistling to his weaponized supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Christy42 wrote: »
    Ah here that is right out (except possibly Waterford whispers which was funny). I mean it is a joke but then you could at least just ask the second ammendments people to take care of it as that would be funny. Or say you are going to do it with a musket.

Assassinate Trump, because Pence would be so much better. I was wondering why Trump picked Pence as a running mate. Appealing to the ultra-religious bigot vote is obvious, but perhaps Trump is smarter than we think... No one, no matter how lunatic, could consider it a good idea to assassinate Trump, thereby making Pence president. Well played Mr Trump, well played.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Assassinate Trump, because Pence would be so much better. I was wondering why Trump picked Pence as a running mate. Appealing to the ultra-religious bigot vote is obvious, but perhaps Trump is smarter than we think... No one, no matter how lunatic, could consider it a good idea to assassinate Trump, thereby making Pence president. Well played Mr Trump, well played.

MrP

I have seen some tweets that both need to be killed but they are unlikely to be in the same place very often so that's a big ask but yeah any dyed in the wool regressive should be ready to take a bullet for Trump :pac:

I was wondering why Trump picked Pence as a running mate.
    Politically, Pence was a good choice - appeasing hardline Republicans who rather like the idea of an oil-pocketed, anti-renewable, pro-gun, planned-parenthood-defunding, pro-religious 'rights', anti-abortion, anti-sex-ed, climate-change-denying, evolution-denying knucklehead.

However - bearing in mind Mencken's line about the vice-president being the guy who sits by the president's door waiting to hear a cough and trusting that DT does not come to an untimely political or physical end - Pence is unlikely to have much influence on policy as others further up the food chain will be driving that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

Sam Harris very much on point as usual:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Sam Harris is right on the button there.
    As he says, it was all entirely predictable, but the Clinton/Obama camp kept ploughing their own furrow, blinkers on, the whole time.

And most European politicians are the same. They see public attitudes changing, but they do little to change their course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No one, no matter how lunatic, could consider it a good idea to assassinate Trump, thereby making Pence president.

Today's Irish Times...

401401.jpg

"Pence? Is he the full shilling?" :)

Life ain't always empty.

BBC Radio 4 looks into the history of no-platforming and safe-spaces:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08295s7
    BBC wrote:
    The NUS policy of 'No Platform', which blocks members of six proscribed organisations speaking on university campuses, has been the subject of a huge amount of debate recently. Similarly, the related issue of establishing so-called 'safe spaces' within universities, which results in speakers being blocked because their opinions might offend or upset members of the student population, has been widely discussed, with many commentators suggesting the creation of a new generation gap opening up between middle-aged graduates concerned about free speech on campus and younger students who say this older group is out of touch with a politics more concerned with identity than class.

As Professor Andrew Hussey explores in this programme, in fact both 'No Platform' and 'Safe Spaces' were created by that older generation, having been born out of the student politics movements of the 1970s and 1980s, and while they were primarily concerned with keeping the violent message of the far right away from campus, they also saw many other speakers either barred from talking or angrily shouted down.

Hussey will hear how no platforming, made official NUS policy in 1974, took its inspiration from the disruptive methods of anti-fascist campaigners in the 1930s. Having examined this history, Hussey will set about (with help from contributors including David Aaronovitch, Kaite Welsh and Richard Brooks from the NUS) examining whether there has indeed been a shift in recent times, making the current incarnations of 'no platform' and 'safe spaces' a real danger, as many have suggested, to free speech on University campuses.

Along the way he'll consider archive both recent and dating back to the 70s/80s, and examine what for him is one of the most troubling aspects of this whole debate - the use of 'safe spaces' as an excuse to barrack and intimidate speakers through the employment of the 'heckler's veto'.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

"Hussey will hear how no platforming, made official NUS policy in 1974, took its inspiration from the disruptive methods of anti-fascist campaigners in the 1930s."
    Well that explains why the neo-fascist alt-right hate it so much.

good old sweden,Stockholm defends 'gender-equal' snow-clearing

http://ozziesaffa.blogspot.ie/2016/11/stockholm-defends-gender-equal-snow.html
    15 November 2016
    Stockholm defends 'gender-equal' snow-clearing

You can always count on the moonbat crazy Swedes to provide some light entertainment.... although I don't think that is their exact goal.

Pure comedic genius.

I must admit, when I saw the headline above, I thought that Sweden (Stockholm to be more specific) had hired equal numbers of male and female snow plough-ers to clear up after a storm.

But, I was wrong.

Gender-equal snow-clearing refers to the priority list of which areas are cleared first.

You see, in the past, snow was first cleared from main roads and from areas like construction sites, before being removed from pavements and cycle lanes.

But, last Winter, the city moved to a “gender-equal” system of clearing snow, because the powers that be decided it was 'sexist' not to clear pavements/cycle lanes and public transport lanes first, as more women walked/cycled and rode public transport than men. who tended to drive. And, because women drove less than men, they tended to have more injuries from falling ... leading to complaints that snow-clearing priorities were sexist.

So the city flipped their list of snow-clearing priorities and (predictably) chaos ensued over the week-end, after huge snow storm:
    Hundreds of thousands of people were affected, with the majority of bus routes put out of service and commuters having to wait in queues for several hours.
    Police last week said the system is so bad, with ambulances unable to make their way along Stockholm’s roads, it posed a danger to society. Officer Fredrik Ståhle branded the conditions for drivers in the city “deplorable”.

Hospitals reported a fourfold increase in broken bones as a result of the new gender-equal policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If you drill through the blog post to the linked newspaper report, you'll find nobody saying that the problems in Stockholm were the result of the revised snow-clearing priorities. If there's problems after an "unusually heavy snow dump", it's just possible that the problems are because the snow dump was unusually heavy.

But, then, the right-wing blogosphere has never been strong on logic or critical thinking.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    If you drill through the blog post to the linked newspaper report, you'll find nobody saying that the problems in Stockholm were the result of the revised snow-clearing priorities. If there's problems after an "unusually heavy snow dump", it's just possible that the problems are because the snow dump was unusually heavy.

But, then, the right-wing blogosphere has never been strong on logic or critical thinking.

the wrong kind of snow sure, I still think its funny that they based a policy on "more men drive". Intuitively the roads should have priority , busses , emergency services and the general commerce of the city

the first call will be about why the traffic was so bad after the change in snow clearing priorities :pac:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sweden-mansplaining-hotline-woman-get-to-report-patronising-male-colleagues-a7418491.html

Swedish women get hotline to report mansplaining

Mansplaining is when 'a man explains something to a woman without being asked, particularly something which she might already know more about than him'

Women who have things mansplained to them in the workplace can now report it to a dedicated hotline.

Unionen, Sweden’s largest union, is encouraging members to call up when male colleagues give them unsolicited lectures on things they already understand.

The organisation, which represents 600,000 private sector workers, launched the advice line on Monday and said it will be open from 10am to 4pm everyday for a week as part of a campaign to highlight and stamp out the insidious and damaging practice.

Is this story a Poe?
    Among those manning the phones will be feminist politicians, comedians and scientists.
    The same text seems to be repeated from other sources.
    At least this source doesn't show the phoneline being "manned" by an arab.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

the wrong kind of snow sure, I still think its funny that they based a policy on "more men drive". Intuitively the roads should have priority , busses , emergency services and the general commerce of the city
    Did they say the wrong kind of snow, or unusually heavy snow? Either way, I think I'd rather rely on some sort of analysis than someones intuition when deciding how to provide public services.

Unless the intuition is that of the lost scion of the Swedish Snow Clearing Guild, who have handed down the knowledge of clearing snow from Sweden from father to son since the time of their forefather the servant of Skathi. In which case that's definitely the intuitive advice that's needed... notwithstanding it's overtly patriarchal nature, which ought quite rightly be decried, obviously.

• Advertisement

Well, public transport links (which are used by buses and emergency services) did have priority under the new rules, apparently.

recedite wrote: »
    Is this story a Poe?
    The mansplaining hotline: a simple guide that even women will understand.

The take-away point: "The hotline is a stunt designed to provoke debate, which might make some men more aware of their behaviour,"

Whether it will succeed is another matter. But that's what it's about.

I wonder if the real problem here is gender appropriation by male snow clearing staff?
    If they have been engaging in the age old Irish county council tradition of breast feeding their shovels, ie standing for long periods of time leaning on the shovel handle, maybe they are simply not getting the work done?

The take-away point: "The hotline is a stunt designed to provoke debate, which might make some men more aware of their behaviour,"

it is still a sexist thing to do

I think I would be with Mitch on this one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

I would wager a months wage if it were a stunt by some mens right groups we would have had the usual femnazi's cohort and their followers in the mainstream media give howls of indignation. Badgering people into submission is the new form of debate from the left.

FA Hayek wrote: »
    I would wager a months wage if it were a stunt by some mens right groups we would have had the usual femnazi's cohort and their followers in the mainstream media give howls of indignation. Badgering people into submission is the new form of debate from the left.
    And from the right, apparently, since your speculation about what would happen if this were a stunt by men's rights groups exactly parallels the reality of what is actually happening when this is a stunt by a trade union.

And from the right, apparently, since your speculation about what would happen if this were a stunt by men's rights groups exactly parallels the reality of what is actually happening when this is a stunt by a trade union.

In fairness I dont think its something anyone wold want to do, the point was reverse the roles as a test, it doesnt stack up. When these kind of things pop up it tends to be done by a government or a related agency.
    Anyway Im sure Sweden will continue to deliver :pac:

In fairness I dont think its something anyone wold want to do, the point was reverse the roles as a test, it doesnt stack up. When these kind of things pop up it tends to be done by a government or a related agency.
    Not in this case. (Unless in rightwingland trade unions are considered a government-related agency.)

Not in this case. (Unless in rightwingland trade unions are considered a government-related agency.)

nit pick, they are not just a group of private individuals pushing an idea. I dont know how unions do their publicity but I picture company notice boards with "Tired of Mansplaning...." posters up :D .
    How does it rate in catholicism, is it a sin? , if you tell your Priest, I Mansplained 5 times this month, how does it rate? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

nit pick, they are not just a group of private individuals pushing an idea. I dont know how unions do their publicity but I picture company notice boards with "Tired of Mansplaning...." posters up :D .
    Is a trade union not a group of private individuals pushing an idea? And.. given that this is a trade union stunt, is it not an example of how unions do their publicity? Or do you have an image of a company notice boards with "Tired of Mansplaning...." posters up?
    How does it rate in catholicism, is it a sin? , if you tell your Priest, I Mansplained 5 times this month, how does it rate? :pac:
    Is Catholicism/Priests supposed to be on the fully baked left wing vegan cookies side, or the half baked right wing fruitcakes side?

Advertisement