Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

[quote=ciarriaithuaidh anyone disputing that is clueless IMO.[/quote]

I take issue with this. I've watched football forensically for the last 20 years. I've been to 100% of Kerry's competitive games in the Fitzmaurice era and missed only a handful of games in the 15 years before.

I travel home from Dublin regularly to watch my club by Division 4 football and attend County Championship games whenever possible.

The fact that I believe that Donaghy in 2016 offers us more as a midfielder then at Full Forward for a multitude of reasons should not write me off as some clueless idiot.

The number 1 reason Donaghy cannot be played at Full Forward is he gets no frees. He has mouthed off regularly to referees over not getting decisions and has left himself with very little friends, not least David Gough who tormented Donaghy in the League game this year vs Cork with some rediculous decisions and an early yellow card. Gough will let Philly and Cooper mount Donaghy at every occasion leaving no hope of him being effective inside. The longer he is ineffective inside, the more frustrated he gets, and the likelyhood of him doing something rash and seeing the line increases.

At midfield his greatest asset is his defensive workrate. He is playing Maher's role from last year very effectively, because Maher is bolloxed and hasn't looked fit all year. When Maher came on against Clare Garry Brennan instantly beat him and Clare got back in the game.

The points you make about his tackling are valid and my main concern about him at midfield. His speed isn't as much of a concern as he uses his body well to slow down the man he is marking. If left one on one in a foot race vs Fenton he is in trouble, but with cover in behind Donaghy just has to face him and get his angles right.

Donaghy's kicking from range is fine, especially in Croke Park (check out 2011 Final before Cluxton wins it). If you are concerned about his kickpassing, I wouldn't worry about that either because midfielders haven't been used for kick passing in a long time. In fact we need to get Moran to cut down on his outside of the boot Hollywood passes that end up in the sweepers hands or out over the sideline/endline. Donaghy will be around as a body in midfield to support the runners who get bottled up and distribute to another runner.

He is not a perfect midfielder but with the form that our other midfielders are in he is number 1 easily for me. The Dubs will try to exploit him and get him 1 v 1 with Fenton. Brennan for Clare and the two Tipperary midfielders would both be as fast and as strong as Fenton (without being nearly as skillful on the ball). Yet Donaghy managed to outplay them all. Hoping for more of the same today, as that will bring us a long way towards willing the match.

Regards,

The Clueless one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I take issue with this. I've watched football forensically for the last 20 years. I've been to 100% of Kerry's competitive games in the Fitzmaurice era and missed only a handful of games in the 15 years before.

I travel home from Dublin regularly to watch my club by Division 4 football and attend County Championship games whenever possible.

The fact that I believe that Donaghy in 2016 offers us more as a midfielder then at Full Forward for a multitude of reasons should not write me off as some clueless idiot.

The number 1 reason Donaghy cannot be played at Full Forward is he gets no frees. He has mouthed off regularly to referees over not getting decisions and has left himself with very little friends, not least David Gough who tormented Donaghy in the League game this year vs Cork with some rediculous decisions and an early yellow card. Gough will let Philly and Cooper mount Donaghy at every occasion leaving no hope of him being effective inside. The longer he is ineffective inside, the more frustrated he gets, and the likelyhood of him doing something rash and seeing the line increases.

At midfield his greatest asset is his defensive workrate. He is playing Maher's role from last year very effectively, because Maher is bolloxed and hasn't looked fit all year. When Maher came on against Clare Garry Brennan instantly beat him and Clare got back in the game.

The points you make about his tackling are valid and my main concern about him at midfield. His speed isn't as much of a concern as he uses his body well to slow down the man he is marking. If left one on one in a foot race vs Fenton he is in trouble, but with cover in behind Donaghy just has to face him and get his angles right.

Donaghy's kicking from range is fine, especially in Croke Park (check out 2011 Final before Cluxton wins it). If you are concerned about his kickpassing, I wouldn't worry about that either because midfielders haven't been used for kick passing in a long time. In fact we need to get Moran to cut down on his outside of the boot Hollywood passes that end up in the sweepers hands or out over the sideline/endline. Donaghy will be around as a body in midfield to support the runners who get bottled up and distribute to another runner.

He is not a perfect midfielder but with the form that our other midfielders are in he is number 1 easily for me. The Dubs will try to exploit him and get him 1 v 1 with Fenton. Brennan for Clare and the two Tipperary midfielders would both be as fast and as strong as Fenton (without being nearly as skillful on the ball). Yet Donaghy managed to outplay them all. Hoping for more of the same today, as that will bring us a long way towards willing the match.

Regards,

The Clueless one ;)

Even if he gets no frees, he will more than likely not be left marked 1v1. You are freeing up some space somewhere by using him as a distraction inside. Dublin wouldn't admit it but they fear Donaghy inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I have absolutely no proof, but the whisper I heard is that gooch is carrying an injury and is not starting and than Donaghy is at full forward

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I have absolutely no proof, but the whisper I heard is that gooch is carrying an injury and is not starting and than Donaghy is at full forward

Fit or unfit, I can't see him starting.

munster87 wrote:
    Even if he gets no frees, he will more than likely not be left marked 1v1. You are freeing up some space somewhere by using him as a distraction inside. Dublin wouldn't admit it but they fear Donaghy inside.

I think they would defend as they are now, with COS sweeping back. Philly would break everything off Donaghy and COS will pick everything up.

It would be an advantage playing Donaghy if we went with 6 forwards and man to man in defence, but that might be footballing suicide to leave our lads 1 on 1 on Connolly, Brogan etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Its a game both teams have known about all year,barring a huge shock we were always going meeting at this stage,both managers have probably had one eye on this game working towards it,its going to interesting to see how it all pans out

As Wayne McCarthy said on TV Friday night

"If Dublin V Kerry doesn't get your gander up then there is something wrong with you"

Im expecting a massive performance from our lads today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Its a game both teams have known about all year,barring a huge shock we were always going meeting at this stage,both managers have probably had one eye on this game working towards it,its going to interesting to see how it all pans out

As Wayne McCarthy said on TV Friday night

"If Dublin V Kerry doesn't get your gander up then there is something wrong with you"

Im expecting a massive performance from our lads today

People have been expecting that since the 2011 final, and the only day it came was the 2013 SF, and they still lost by 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

People have been expecting that since the 2011 final, and the only day it came was the 2013 SF, and they still lost by 7.

Conceding that late goal in 2013 knocked the wind out of the team,

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Who will get the mana marking job on diarmud connolly? Can't remember who picked him up in league final or how he performed? Surely Eamonn fitz will get someone to be in his ear all day and follow him all over the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Crowley

• Advertisement

Conceding that late goal in 2013 knocked the wind out of the team,

And that's exactly what Dublin do to you in the last 10mins

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Basically an All Ireland for winning team today! Go for the underdogs.
    Kerry by 2 pts!

Basically an All Ireland for winning team today! Go for the underdogs.
    Kerry by 2 pts!

Ha ha, I would not bank on that.

If Dublin win yes they will be crazy favourites but I would give Mayo every chance against this Kerry team.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Ha ha, I would not bank on that.

If Dublin win yes they will be crazy favourites but I would give Mayo every chance against this Kerry team.

Sure yeah,good luck with that!

Sure yeah,good luck with that!

Seriously they would.
    This Kerry team is as about as average as it gets.

But let's see what happens today before we continue this conversation.

Kerry Minors absolutely fantastic.

Clifford is just mesmerizing! Even if we get hockied in the Seniors, I can't be too gutted knowing the class that is to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭wonga77

Its amazing to think we couldnt win feck all at minor level till 2 years ago and now going for 3 in a row

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Kerry Minors absolutely fantastic.

Clifford is just mesmerizing! Even if we get hockied in the Seniors, I can't be too gutted knowing the class that is to come.

If we could beat Dublin today then today will be the start of three to four in a row, as for Mayo, yerra well god help the poor auld craythurs.

Our Minor teams deserve huge credit and our rightly glory days are not very far away again. From the Skellig Rock to Scartaglin, Lauragh to Lyracrompane it is the birthright of every true Kerry warrior who wears the green and gold of the Kingdom; we are the True keepers of the ancient flame, Kerry by 5 with Moran and Paul Geaney both bombing Cluxton out of it as they will sit inside on the verge of the square all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭wonga77

il have a pint of whatever he's having

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

wonga77 wrote: »
    il have a pint of whatever he's having

A small measure of Poitin distilled over a turf fire, good for what ails ya.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Jesus lads you were fantastic. what a game two fantastic teams. That was the closest ever it went all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Gave it everything, didn't work out. Bench again weakened us.

Some of the old warhorses went out on their shields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Gave it everything, didn't work out. Bench again weakened us.

Some of the old warhorses went out on their shields.

Others went out with a whimper

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

Hard luck Kerry,gutsy performance.So close.
    Dubs were always gonna be the ones to beat!
    They're home and hosed now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

If we could beat Dublin today then today will be the start of three to four in a row, as for Mayo, yerra well god help the poor auld craythurs.

Our Minor teams deserve huge credit and our rightly glory days are not very far away again. From the Skellig Rock to Scartaglin, Lauragh to Lyracrompane it is the birthright of every true Kerry warrior who wears the green and gold of the Kingdom; we are the True keepers of the ancient flame, Kerry by 5 with Moran and Paul Geaney both bombing Cluxton out of it as they will sit inside on the verge of the square all day.

This lads brilliant, keep em comin skywanderer...mad yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Anyone explain that "45" and the very soft free from about the 21 yard line in the 2nd half?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Anyone explain that "45" and the very soft free from about the 21 yard line in the 2nd half?

Its very simple, in the second half every single 50:50 call or even hint of a foul in the second half Dublin got a free. The shoulder into crowleys face in the last minute which resulted in the insurance point should ensure gough is relegated to o byrne cup games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The one for the 'pick up off the ground' or for the non existant foul on Rock?

I understand why Gough bottled giving Connolly a black card as due to the way that he has been able to get out of suspensions, etc- the additional media scrutiny of sending a guy like that to the line may not be worth it but clearly it was a 100% black card

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Kerry gave the dubs a mighty challenge today but came out short. Strange that geaney was dragged with ten to go though.

No Sam for Kerry this year.

But I must say that is a serious talented minor team, the full foward line in particular have all the skills of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

fair result...o Sullivan going off was a huge loss, should be the main focus and not ref.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement