Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VERY very bad crash at Carrs hill - main road from Cork City to Carrigaline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Saw a video car veered into the truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Yip @ofcork saw the dashcam vid too. Im not going to post it -

GARDAI HAVE ASKED people to not share this footage.

This is a very busy road. As a main road to/from Ringaskiddy ( New Cork Docks ), Carrigaline etc, its a crazy narrow country road still ( see pic below ). They finally are building a motorway but not ready until 2030. They have been talking about that motorway to replace that carrs hill country road since we moved down here in 1997.

Carrigaline was 7000 or less back then as a village, now its pretty much 20,000 pop. A commuter / Mortgage town for the city

Carrs hill screenshot from Google maps

Post edited by aidanodr on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Let's hope no fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Truck driver did well to drift away from a head on collision, ended up a glancing blow, you'd like to think no serious injuries, of course who else the truck hit is still unknown to us, that could be worse than the first collision.

Truck apparently jack knifed & toppled right across the whole road behind the car with the dashcam that was going toward the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭standardg60

There's no amount of road safety campaigns or reductions in speed limits that's going to stop people getting distracted or losing concentration unfortunately.

That driver could have an exemplary record, it only takes a second. Hope all involved are ok, but especially the truck driver and any other innocent parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Ridiculous busy road something should have been done a long time ago,up and down there 5 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Can't stop inattention but the speed you're at if you crash due to it makes a big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Woman in critical condition, she was trapped in her car for over an hour. What an awful thing to happen to her.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/fQfpRSvnvQSEQweA/

• Advertisement

Yip .. Cork BEO article:

A spokesperson for the Cork City Fire Brigade told CorkBeo: “There were four vehicles involved in the collision, two cars, a van and an articulated lorry. A number of casualties have been taken to hospital for treatment, one of whom is in critical condition.”

Being ridiculously busy had nothing to do with this, narrow yes as it left little room for manoeuvre, but it's wrong to solely blame infrastructure here.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blarney_boy

Yeah, but what boils my p*ss it that local councillors and other NIMBY's like Gerard Harrington from the self styled "M28 Steering Group" that delayed the construction of the new road out to Ringaskiddy for a decade. A road that would have improved safety and travel times for local and national traffic will be the first up the steps of the church to sign the book of condolences should the worst happen and there are resulting fatalities (I sincerely hope there are none).

Another pet peeve is the politicians banging on about speeding when it's obvious from the footage from these recent dash cams that the root cause isn't speed - it's people on their phones. God only knows what they're doing on these devices: playing games / watching youtube / posting on boards.ie? It's like that saying about generals that they're always fighting the last war - speed and drink driving aren't the main killers on irish roads today - driver distraction from mobiles devices is.

Needless to say the government's genius solution is to reduce speed limits nationally because that's "definitely" going to save lives 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I nearly got taken out today as I drove from Inch Kerry out to Dingle. A young women driving at speed in an SUV took a corner coming towards me and almost lost control, her eyes were down, she only saw her car was over the white line at the last second. She was absolutely flying , I would have had nowhere to go except over the edge into the sea. 100% she was on a phone.

There's definitely an argument to be made that reducing speed limits actually leads to inattention, people are more likely to switch off when trundling along in a line of traffic, we've all been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MrRigsby

Saw the video . Truck would have faired better if he hit the car full on . Think he dropped his inside wheels into the grass trying to avoid the crash as the road is very narrow. You could see the outside trailer wheels a few feet off the road as he went out of view . Poor truck driver only had a split second to react

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

The standard of driving in the country is beyond awful. Every taxi I’ve been in lately (including the one I’m in typing this re: phone, although admittedly not as bad as othwrs) has had the driver speeding, running lights and on their phone. If people are willing to do that with customers in the car, I can’t imagine what the average driver in their car alone does

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A new road won't do jack if the standard of driving hasn't changed and people are still gawking at and talking into their phones.

Enforcement x 1000. People have to be saved from themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭dmc17

Always amazed at the amount of drivers I pass on the road who are looking down at their laps while driving and also those people who hold the phone up in front of them on loudspeaker because it would seem as though this doesn't count as being on the phone.

On the other hand can't remember the last time I've met a Garda checkpoint on the roads. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

What we really need is a portal to upload footage which is then acted upon, if everyone knew they could be prosecuted from random footage instead of being caught by the Guards the roads would be infinitely safer.

Gardai asking for dashcam footage after the fact is a pretty sad joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

Why? It's factual. Had the truck driver not made such an effort to avoid, it would likely have been a much worse outcome for both them, and the camera car.

The problem - given the size and weight of the truck, which is now out of control, some innocent driver or a school bus a few cars back could be killed instead. Well done to the truck driver.

The Gardai should be retweeting that video daily to get the message out there of what can happen if you cross the white line.

Blacking out from a heart attack, stroke or diabetes is exceedingly rare. A new Audi is unlikely to have any mechanical issue. What does that leave as the root cause in all likelihood?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

It's not just phones either. Newer cars are increasingly amalgamating all climate, media and driving settings into the infotainment screens. Some cars make you click through multiple menus to put on the air conditioning. insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Whocare

Seen pictures of firefighters and crane Lifting container off car crush by container . Would make you sick what that driver of audi did

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

Ill second this about these large infotainment screens in all new cars now. Some as big as a laptop screen in the centre of the dash so you have to look left to see it. Add to this the Distraction that screen is. It never made sense to me why you need a distracting laptop screen stuck to the centre of the dash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

Which won't change the facts. The video clearly shows a car veering across the solid white line, causing a serious collision, and there are videos online with thousands of views.

There a certain times when discussing an ongoing court case is in the interests of justice - discussing this collision is in the interest of road safety. Have you seen the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bannerman1969

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41377600.html?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR18LT6J5Yb3OfzpisrB2qZsbMH_A89jbo_ePvWnGCSRerfgbQZeYWgt93k_aem_AfGx8hJGBrcoMXFvlnXO50u5M3A-aiRFzWh5CrRSsEezzNxq-1LtEQmMxUb3npLYuH9JSrwjJhJ8V4M40C9YiBd9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭JVince

And what is that based on?

I've a large info screen in the car. It is not in any way distracting whatsoever.

It does give me details of any traffic delays ahead and I can adjust my driving as I approach the delay.

But there is zero proof that it is in any way a contribution to accidents

Advertisement