Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large arrays / NC7 applications

Options
  • 02-04-2024 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Wondering if there are any updates on NC7 applications? I'm going to put in planning for a new build this month with 80 panels on an east / west roof, 32kwp to 40kwp I reckon.

I know @TerraSolis has this interesting post on their experience but that's a fairly unusual set-up!

@blobert seems to have been doing something similar to me, I wonder how they're getting on?

The esb says "The rollout of smart meters for 3 Phase customers will begin in 2025.  The deployment will initially focus on those 3 Phase customers who are on a standard 24-hour electricity tariff."

Do we have any idea what criteria are being considered when we roll the €1000 dice? Is it local transformer capacity? Does the amount of local solar panels affect things? In my case no one in the locality has any solar panels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

Also does anyone have any recommendations for installers who have experience with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭10-10-20

What would you classify your residence as - rural, city/urban or regional town based? I'm asking as I guess that ESBn will treat each somewhat differently density the scope differs significantly due to localised density.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭TerraSolis

"Do we have any idea what criteria are being considered when we roll the €1000 dice?"

Sure do!

1st thing they'll do is assess your cable connection between your meter box and transformer to a) estimate the length of the cable run and b) check the cable size to ensure it's got sufficient capacity to not screw the transformer with voltage rise.

If your connection is very old, it'll have smaller cabling that they currently like to put in and you're more likely to have an export limit applied to your NC7 to avoid voltage rise.

They then use a) and b) to make some X/R (reactance/resistance) calculations and adjustments in their assessment of your local connection point in assessing the transformer's limits.

Primarily, it all comes down to the local transformer. So there they're looking at thermal & harmonics limits.

In terms of nobody else in your locality having solar, that actually doesn't matter. ESBN confirmed to me in an email "ESB calculate the impact for each customer alone and rely on planning and compatibility limits in  the Dist. Code  to provide the necessary ‘headroom’ for other customers to be accommodated i.e. we exclude the other customer and also make a small correction for the actual X/R ratio."

Finally, recall that kWp won't matter - purely the kW / kVA ratings of your inverters. So you can pick inverter which allow significant DC oversizing if you want to achieve a large (DC) array with a higher chance of NC7 success (with as minimal or lean inverter capacity as is suitable).

As a reminder for folks looking to go the NC7 route, it's best to make your system up of more smaller inverters (e.g. 4X 4kVA inverters = 16kVA is better than 2X 8kVA inverters = 16 kVA) as this is far more favorable for the harmonics assessment. You also buy yourself some critical redundancy if one inverter were to go pop.

Hope this helps :)

Fascinating overview there.

Given that we have previously heard that the NC7 is a blind submission from the perspective of the customer - was it ever implied that an assessment can be made in advance to understand the local power limitations and then size or design the inverter in advance so that the NC7 request would likely be successful? I mean to have a third-party obtain the local transformer data and run the numbers and come up with go/no-go on a variety of configurations, then submit an appropriately sized proposal?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Your local transformer MIC and MEC is available on an esbnetworks map, I don't have the shortcut to hand. At the very least when you see that you will see is there spare capacity to feed your build (likely but depends on location) and for you to feed back (very likely).

It's not in stone though, I was toying with a NC7 and increased feed but my transformer has no spare capacity for extra kva into my house, a casual conversation with Mr Esb and I was told I'd have to stiff a bill for transformer upgrades so I put it out of my head.

Lo and behold a new build went in last year to my transformer (heat pump/car charger etc) and the esb allowed them to take a feed as "they knew someone" in networks, typical Ireland

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Yeah in fairness to ESBN, they obviously enjoyed my hack job attempt at doing just that considering the technical team came back to me with a detailed response.

Great question. It was never implied that an assessment could be made in advance so I would recommend people to do their best at that part themselves (IE is your local transformer seemingly busy with inverter connections already? How much kVA do you estimate is already connected? What does that leave available thermally speaking?).

However, once they'd calculated the limits, ESBN would've allowed me to alter the design offered me below what I was seeking and to meet that (so I could've adjusted the NC7 form with a new design without paying and starting all over again).

Say I applied for 16 kVA. If it was determined that I could've connected up to 12 kVA, they would've allowed me to proceed with that as the next best thing. Or you can pay the cost of the works to upgrade the connection to connect the original 16 kVA of course, but I bet that would sting the wallet like hell and take forever.

Maybe when I find myself with more time I'll set up an assessment service 🧐.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

Maybe when I find myself with more time I'll set up an assessment service 🧐.

<Take my money.gif>

Here's what I reckon is the closest transformer from https://www.esbnetworks.ie/new-connections/generator-connections-group/availability-capacity-map

It's about 100m away as the crow flies, who knows how far actually.

Transformer configuration: 400 kVA :Kiosk Substation
    Demand Firm Capacity: 400 kVA
    Demand Capacity Available: ~250 kVA
    Parent Available MVA: 0.6

(Slightly obfuscated for privacy)

I was looking at something like the Goodwe GW25K-ET but the point about redundancy makes sense. It goes for €15,500 with 32kwh of batteries. Once I actually get an expert involved they may tell me I'm bonkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It is very good to know that ESBN seems to try and make the best out of the resources available to you

As in if you apply for 16kVA and your connection can't support this, they come back with the offer of a lower kVA or upgrading infrastructure (I agree, you'll want some deep pockets for that option) rather than just rejecting your application outright

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I remember there was some talk about how often that map gets updated, something like every 6 months

So it's possible someone already beat you to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

How am I supposed to read this?

Loads of capacity left?

• Advertisement

I can see the logic of 2 smaller inverters vs 1 big one for redundancy, but I've never seen the argument of 4 much smaller inverters for harmonics

Is it really that big a deal, and have you any links where I could learn more?

My eventual mega system is probably going to be 2 inverters with either 8-10kVA each. Going for 4 inverters would be a bit more expensive so probably something I'd want to plan for

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's on the demand side. You'd also need to look at the generation capacity tab

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Sure. For example from the response that ESBN technical assessment department sent me:

"when there are multiple inverters the phase angles of each harmonic are random, so that the vector sum of the harmonics can be lower, as they tend to cancel each other out."

and

"the required SC level is adequate to ensure that the 6, 6 and 4kVA are within Harmonic standards (although for clarity a single 16kVA would not"

Which tracks logically if you think about it.

In terms of whether or not it is a big deal, having studied the standards DSOs are a bit 'extra' when it comes to managing harmonics as many of the applied standards are dated and apply to old noisy pieces of kit. However, harmonics are a big deal if you're looking for NC7 success!

For advanced reading material on harmonics assessment, I recommend you read the EREC G5 Standard available here: https://dcode.org.uk/assets/uploads/ENA_EREC_G5_Issue_5__2020_.pdf

What's your current MIC?

I would strongly urge you to break that 25kVA into more like 5*5kVA paralleled. With the right kit they can still all share the same battery bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭blobert

Hello,

Just to say I got the NC7 approved (it took a while and a bit of prompting) have a 3 phase meter running since last year and am about to order the equipment from China with an Irish installer lined up to install.

This line worries me "The rollout of smart meters for 3 Phase customers will begin in 2025.  The deployment will initially focus on those 3 Phase customers who are on a standard 24-hour electricity tariff. "

It was reading as starting in end 2023 last year I thought!

I'm planning to have about 30-40kw of panels, about 60kwh of batteries and a lot of this is based on being able to charge at cheap night rates, run the house on this and get paid higher rate for essentially exporting all the PV I generate.

If I'm only able to operate on deemed export it will make the payback period a lot slower.

Am I right in saying you only get 35% of your calculated total export amount this way as opposed to 100% if I were exporting it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yup, thats right

Benefits those (like me) who export nearly 0 but punishes those who do export. Once my dumb/clever day night meter is exchanged for a smart/stupid RM108 meter I'll be investigating doing a change to NC7 myself. As it stands, it doesnt pay me to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks for that, I wonder if there's any way to prompt a 3 phase smart meter to get it faster.

Do we know what make/model smart meter they will be using?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

So I received my NC7 connection letter back.

They're only offering me 8kVA instead of the 6kVA I currently have, no reason why or anything?

Not even sure what the next steps are?

Akin to what @TerraSolis mentioned, I'd recommend trying to engage and have a discussion with their technical team/engineers via email and see if they would pass on any of the limitations around why you're stuck at 8kVA when you were hoping for more. You may find that there are plans to upgrade the local substation, but it would then be interesting to know whether you would have to reapply again for another upgrade if that were to happen…

• Advertisement

Oh and would you be willing to tell us whether you are rural, city/urban or regional-town based? It's just so that we know the rough profile of the account.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Rural. Local substation.

That's what is in the letter back

Rang networks and local crowd hopefully back in 2 to 3 days.

There seems to be a pretty consistent "we will sell you more but you cant export (much) past NC6" approach.

They seem to be restricting you to a ~8kW inverter too rather than a larger one with export limiting

I would have thought that the two would have to match - MEC and inverter capacity. Have you seen otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭idc

One of the benefits of NC7 though is export limitation, hence inverter could be higher assuming you have an acceptable export limitation scheme! Guessing whatever export limitation the inverter most likely has built in is not acceptable by ESBN!

Actually - just found this document:

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/docs/default-source/publications/conditions-governing-connection-operation-els

Page 23 has a good worked example and discusses much of what we are talking about.

agreed but randombar has had inverter size restricted and no export limitation therefore allowed, would be better to have a 16kW (or dual 8kW) inverters which would be of great benefit outside peak production times and then have export limitation, this will also also say 16kW instant production capability with 8kW to grid, some to home, some to batteries, some to hot water, some to EV

Wondering aloud, maybe there is an allowance for export limiting controllers under NC7? That could open up the possibilities of over-sizing both the inverter and the solar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭idc

@randombar out of curiosity is NC7 similar to NC6 and you list inverters to be connected? If so did you list 1 or 2 8kW inverters or a single 16kW inverter?
    Maybe the solution would be to go back and add in whatever ESBN deems an acceptable Export Limitation System (ELS) ? You've been told max allowed is 8 and that may be likely due to constraints in document @10-10-20 found. So if you modified your system to include acceptable ELS would give you your 16kW BUT there may be no point doing that if your plan all along was to export the majority of your 16 kW !

Advertisement