Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGS 2024 - Round 2 Portmarnock Links - 20th Apr 11:00

Options
  • 27-03-2024 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

So, after a long wait for the first event of the year, round 2 is only a little over 3 weeks away and it's a really really good course. Portmarnock Links Or Jameson Golf Links as it is now known, is somewhere the society have been quite a few times before. Irish Golfer have it ranked in the top 25 in Ireland! For those that have played it before, there have been quite a few significant changes made in the last year or so. I was lucky enough to see some of them last year and I personally can't wait to see the latest changes that have been made.

We have 40 slots available, going out in 4 balls at 12 minute intervals and the cost is €70. Booking will be open from tomorrow evening (Thursday 27th) at 6pm.

Fingers crossed we dont have quite as windy a day as we had in Coballis! Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Alan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Looking forward to this one - (as undefeated BGS 2024 player) - joke - lol.

A great course , and getting out on courses at this level is getting harder and harder for anyone - never mind for a society. Have a read of the links thread if your in any doubt.

It is a tough course - but if your patient and respect the rough and bunkers - you can do ok. We have had fairly high scoring here in the past - and many people will be very relieved to hear - in a way, it is easier than Corballis

The course has had a good few changes in the last few years - and I think the course will end up even a better course. The changes are definitely worth seeing if you have played the course before.

I've had a few good rounds here myself - but of all the courses I go out on - I find the variability in my performance here is massive. You can hit maybe 4 bad shots in the first 7 - and it is a bit of a disaster - but if you get past this phase you can have a great day.

The weather is always a big impact here - can be wind from all directions - can be sunny or dry and sunny and dry. Greens are fun and fantastic to putt on.

The bunkers are typically - very very bad news - particularly off the tee. It is lovey to be on a modern course were it asks real questions and shows you the mistakes you should not make off the tee.

The par 3s are great fun with a test of all clubs from a 5 to a 9/PW.

The layout is fantastic - and so many of the holes have a lovely feel of - walk off tee , step up on a tee box. Very clever use of land and layout - on what is not a massive site in comparable terms.

This event always has good fun and food after - and a good few hang around for a pint after.

Catch all - practice them bunker shots for this one - open up body and face - power and pace and a ball behind the ball.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

After the beating Corballis gave me I'm chomping at the bit to get back out on a links course and put in a more respectable score.

Mid-April, I'm picturing a nice sunny day, a gentle breeze catching the few beads of sweat on our brows, not a bit of rain gear in sight. We can but hope!

Never played here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Love this course. I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Having lived in the area for a while but never getting to play the course I'm really looking forward to this one. Hoping my game will be in a bit of a better place for it, accuracy over power is the key for links for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Among my favourite courses in the country! Playing courses like this as a society is a treat. Don't let them fool you though, there's nothing "easy" about it. It's far longer than Corballis but's it's fairer, but still tough and still unfair at times. AVOID THE FAIRWAY BUNKERS!

I can't wait for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well after the maiden win can you go back to back, is that something done yet in the Society?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Think space did or golfgraffix ?

But I doubt it after the feckers cut me that run this thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Almost no chance i'll make this. Either we'll have a new baby, or my wife will be so pregnant i won't be able to leave the house for more than 20 mins 🤣

In fairness - you should have timed all this better.

Is it live for others? The notification I get when I select the day is that it will go live on 30th at 7pm.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That's grand. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

This was the main one I wanted to make this year, but I'm an early non-runner.

Was really looking forward to seeing the new changes having played here a number of times with the society.

I like the name change too. Enjoy everyone and I'd say now Fix has a taste for it, he'll be difficult to beat again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

It should be live for bookings

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

its showing not live for 30 minutes but there is several names on the sheet? how is that so

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

its live since 6pm. Must be something up you end??

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

Strange maybe some others had accesss as some didn’t. Sorted now

I was lucky enough to play it earlier this year. Must say the changes have really added to the course and they have blended in so well, it’s like they are there from the start. Really looking forward to going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Those pictures have to be photoshopped. No way was there a day when the Sun shone with blue skys and dry weather. Really looking forward to playing and catching up with the society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I won 2 in a row the year I won GOTY, Greystones and Dundrum.

Not sure on Golfgraffix, was his a 1st and 2nd last year?

Did Macker win 2 in a row the year he won GOTY?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I’ve never won back to back. That would be very poor form, hence the 1st and 2nd last year, I had to pull up at Rosslare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

If I recall correctly I think I won in my first year with the society at Portumna and then followed up at Carlow. Good times !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Really looking forward to this one after a rough time of it at Corballis. Fingers crossed there'll be some OK weather before it so I'll have a proper handicap this time. Sounds like I need to do some proper bunker practice beforehand instead of winging it like I normally do.

I was curious what the normal price was booking through their website - €275!? Definitely feel like I'm getting a massive bargain here!

Seems like years ago now alright but it was the end of December. Ohh to have a sunny day for golf,!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Was a bright day, but was still a 3 club windat least

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭spuddy4711

Some last minute slots available for anyone who wants to practice today, a snip @ €100. Looking forward to my first Boards outing in a while, if I forget RR’s advice to avoid the fairway bunkers, I’ll just use Fixe’s tip to get back in the game.Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

looking forward to getting started with the society again after missing the first outing.

Think I might have played with @charlieIRL when he took those photos, or else I was in the group in front! We got a real break in the weather that day and it was a very enjoyable round. The changes to the course are great, but 17 wasn’t finished so I am looking forward to seeing how that has panned out.

That was my last round of golf, well last 18 holes anyway. Think I got 2 rounds of 13 in the week after when my op got pushed back!

I’ve recovered pretty much fully now, but other than a few putting green sessions and a few chips, I haven’t swung a club. Hoping the weather makes a decent turn for the better and when I get home from holidays can get a couple of range trips in before the outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

I remember it well Macker. I chased you down with 36pts for a distance 2nd to your 42pts in Carlow. Your were the David Duval of that year😉.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Richiemaloney

On the time sheet, hope I can make this one snapped my Achilles tendon 9 weeks ago

Finger crossed and a bit of physio

Played it the end of last year hadn't a great day 😩, always enjoyed it it's a great track

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bobster453

Advertisement