Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Buy a small holding please read.

Options
  • 27-03-2024 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I'm a Wicklow man looking to buy 4 to 5 acres for bee keeping and small egg farm. The Wicklow area would be my highest priority.

Land prices on Daft, are too inflated, what would be the best buying a buying a small parcel of land, go door to door and ask farmers if they have any land to sell?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

If you go door-to-door asking farmers if they will sell you land I already know the answer you will get. NO! If you are unlucky they may even have the shotgun loaded and cocked beside the door for you.

Even if they were to sell, they will look at the prices on Daft and look for that kind of money anyway. They may look like inflated prices to you because you are buying but to the farmer they might not be. Chances are the land has been in their families for generations or else they bought it themselves and had to struggle with repayments over years. Either way blood, sweat and tears went into making it their own.

If somebody cold-called to your house and asked to buy it but offered 60% of the asking price of similar houses in the area, how would you react?? I imagine they would be run out the front gate sharpish.

Only land you might get at a lower price would be clear-felled forest, which would include a replanting requirement possibly, or land in an SAC where you may be limited with what you can do on it anyway.

A few acres planted for native woodland would complement both activities you mentioned and the grants would offset some of the cost involved in the initial purchase. Anything up to 1 Ha does not require a license now AFAIK and the grants are paid over 10 years.

Speak to local agents and they might have a bit more information on plots that may become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I think you might be lucky. Might hit upon a person who'd be glad for their struggling parcel of land to go to someone who appreciates it, and not just some profiteering builder.

Try for some hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Deeec

Yes of course you can go around and ask farmers would they be willing to sell you some land. You have to expect though that if someone is willing to sell they will want market value. Nobody is going to give you a discounted price.

Would you consider another part of the country. Wicklow is expensive and you don't need quality land for bees and hens

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Thanks man, I live in Wicklow and love the place, I know there is cheaper land out foreign, Roscommon and Leitrim for e.g

What about Coillte lads? they have a link on their home page to ask for a purchase of land. hmm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭youllbemine

You only need a small corner of a field for an apiary. A beekeeper generally will keep bees in the corner of a field, behind a fence on an area less than a perch. Not much land needed for them. And best to have aviaries in different areas to allow for range and doing different management technique.

As for hens, are the eggs going for sale? Or for personal use? 4 hens is plenty for personal use or sma family.

Small parcels of 4/5 acres in Wicklow no matter the quality would be in high demand and therefore command a strong price.

Cheers mate!, Looking to put in about 25 hives over a 2 year period.

Advertisement