Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honeygain - Effortless Passive Income just by sharing your internet connection

Options
  • 24-03-2024 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭

Passive Income - Effortlessly | Honeygain

Can be installed on desktop/laptop/tablet/mobile

You can also encourage your friends to join with you using your own referral code and start earning more.

Referral link:

What you get: Get 300 Honeygain Points to get started. (equivalent of $3, can be cashed out when you have $20 worth)

What I get:500 Honeygain credits when you gather at least 2GB.

Post edited by Blade on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ggmad

Does any have experience of using this? Does it depend on where you are based? How much are you making from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

I have been using this for quite a while. As something that runs in the background and not using much in terms of resources (doesnt slow down your pc or mobile phone)

Using alone and without any referrals, you get very little. I have no referrals, and earn about 20 to 30 c a day ... but everything adds up.

I know of some folks who have active referrals and they are earning anywhere between 5 and 10 euro per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The first thing to say is this is definitely NOT pyramid selling.

You're right, because there's nothing sold or bought.

I take it you don't know anything about it? still doesn't stop you commenting…

Perhaps it would be better to ask rather than make assumptions which are incorrect

When nothing is being bought or sold, the commodity is you, the user.

The first few people to join the scheme, sign up a few more people and get referral bonusses from them. Those new people sign up others so they can get referral bonuses. Eventually, you will have people at the bottom of the pyramid triangular-model when no-one else wants to sign up and they end up getting just a few cents a day.

What are the legal implications of using the service? What if the bandwidth you provide is used as part of a Botnet in a denial of service attack(DDoS)? What safeguards are in place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Well this is about the dodgiest thing on boards in a good while.

What could possibly go wrong with giving use of your internet connection and public facing ip address to an unknown entity on the inter lol. I assume they install some sort of vpn clinet on your machine. Or malware.

They do install a VPN so the user can't see the traffic being used, and they can't see the users traffic. They don't currently download malware.

Possible negative repercussions:

• You break the acceptable usage policy of your ISP and get throttled or banned completely
    • Honeygain is bought by Evil Inc, who push an update to their VPN software which allows them to see your data
    • Your bandwidth gets used as part of a DDOS and you are held responsible.

Anybody who entangles themselves in this kind of thing has only themselves to blame for allowing themselves to be roped in. The advice there by above poster is very clear. AVOID

I flagged the thread so Mods could take a look & assess its suitability to be on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yeah. No good can come from you voluntarily giving random internet people anonymous access to your device and internet connection (not to mention your account details so they can give you all that wonderful referral money)

Not advice - but possibilities.

Have a look at trustpilot - 13k reviews and a respectable 4.5 rating.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement

Love the negativity about what MIGHT go wrong, yet no credible or tangible proof that this company has done any of the above.

Dont let the lack of evidence stop ye posting though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I dunno, a search on Reddit tells me that they'll use my IP for a VPN...wouldn't be comfortable with that.

No tangible evidence the company has done this. True.

The US government is concerned about 100 million users in America having the chinese-owned TikTok on their phones. What happens if Honeygain gets sold to a Chinese entrepreneur? Now the Chinese Communist Party have a back door into your home network. If I was to build a scheme like this, selling it to the highest bidder, and not caring what they do with it after would be my main driver.

Trustpilot. 13.5K reviews by people for whom there has been no negative side effect(yet).

Fair enough - but to flag and suggest that a company doing such would be for nefarious purposes - without a single shred of evidence speaks more of those who say so rather than the company itself.

Ah yes - yet. 13.5k reviews. 13.5k out of the tens of thousands worldwide using the app. Don't you think that if it were all as bad as you and others are suggesting, there would be far more (and mostly) negative reviews?

But sure go on, fire another few unfounded little what ifs at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

13.5k bot-generated reviews. At least it seems they are putting your internet to use.

I dunno, for yourself I'd definitely think twice about using this. Their own sub Reddit has people complaining that they've got banned and warned from their internet provider over websites they were accessing.

I'd like to see that thread. Been using a number of years and never had an issue at all.

I am not claiming it is currently bad. I'm suggesting it could go bad in the future, and the first you the user will hear about it will be a letter from your ISP, or your internet being disconnected.

There could also be extra power usage. Presumably your computer has to be on for it to be a node on the network? So you get paid 40 quid for being a node, but your computer being on 24/7 means your electricity bill goes up by a similar amount.

• Advertisement

Think the below link should work. I've never heard of them until today so really don't have any skin in the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Honeygain/s/KKBzZs8LNB

Unless you're paying my bills, let me worry about the cost ;)

Ah yes. The famous Judge Judy and her shoulda coulda woulda applies here I think

Based on a whole heap of nothing. If I always listened to that kind of advise, I'd be miserable :)

I remember when I bought my first bitcoin miner. Made by butterfly labs. All the advice was don't do it. I didn't listen then.

Unless you're paying my bills, let me worry about the cost ;)

Are you worried about the bills of the people who sign up using your referral code? Thought not.

Based on a whole heap of nothing.

Based on 17 years experience working in IT Security.

The only risk free way I can think of, of maybe earning €20 is to buy 10 scratch cards.

You still have not responded to my suggestion that it could break the ISPs Acceptable Usage Policy. If it does, you could find your bandwidth throttled down to dial-up speeds, or be kicked off the internet.

If you are, as you say, working in the IT Security industry - have you come across Honeygain before?
    Have you any credible proof that they have facilitated or permitted illegal activities?

I don't respond to suggestions :)

And the cost of other people's electricity? I am sure you aren't too worried about it either. But here you go, bringing it up as if it's of the utmost concern.

I remember when I bought my first bitcoin miner. Made by butterfly labs. All the advice was don't do it. I didn't listen then.

How much did you make?

If you are, as you say, working in the IT Security industry - have you come across Honeygain before?

No. Although when this thread first came up I was on my work machine and it was blocked by my employers Proxy.

From the Proxy screen:

URL: www.honeygain.com

Category: proxy-avoidance-and-anonymizers

Application: web-browsing

I don't respond to suggestions

My suggestions are not for you, they are for anyone thinking of joining.

And the cost of other people's electricity? I am sure you aren't too worried about it either. But here you go, bringing it up as if it's of the utmost concern.

It's not the utmost concern. My utmost concern would be having my bandwidth throttled. It is worth considering for others thinking of joining, that their gains may get eaten up by their ESB bill.

I can vouch for the fact that this poster IS very experienced in IT security industry. Anybody looking on this thread listen to the words of caution, take on board everything being said about the potentially very significant RISK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭long_b

Access to clean, residential IP addresses is gold dust for VPN companies. Just saying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement