Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The First Omen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Full trailer's up. Preferred the teaser myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Will give them kudos for going for self-immolation rather than a rope in that trailer. Surprised they didn't go for a straight reboot. Might be decent, looks better than the recent Exorcist offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,848 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Saw today it was decent.

Nell Tiger Free is excellent in the lead, kind of knew where the story was going from the off. Not sure what Ralph Ineson was at with the accent to be honest. A few decent scares (but not enough) lots of call backs as you would expect. It looked really stylish and sound design terrific. 7/10

Not a huge fan of the ending, a bit cheesy and clearly they did it to make room for more sequels Damien versus his sister and mum hmm... ok, which are not needed.

Post edited by gmisk on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I really enjoyed it, Ineson's accent was a mess but the visual effects were stunning. There was a big body horror element to it and it did its homages in not the most jarring of ways…

Definitely, would be interested to see where they go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Very good little flick with some great acting and atmosphere. Links in with the original Omen very nicely though I can see how it may become it's own spin-off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Enjoyable film. Did well with the Seventies backdrop. The cast was very committed, particularly the lead. The motivation being the antagonist group was certainly a bit different.

Would agree that the ending felt a bit tacked on or as a result of a hast re-shoot. Would certainly be interested where they could go with sequel. Also the links with the original were decently carried out.

Also there was a rope as well as self-immolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭winstonia

Absolutely rubbish. Whoever wrote it, needs a lesson as it made zero sense. Accents all over the place however some shots looked nice. 1/5

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Went to see this yesterday. Absolutely appalling stuff. Astonished to see some of the positive reviews it's getting in Empire magazine and The Guardian, especially compared to the recent Exorcist:Believer which was slammed by almost everyone but which makes this tedious exercise look like a masterpiece by comparison. It's set in the '70's and looks like it was made in that era too, with lacklustre production and pacing. Tedious, long drawn out story with a few token jump scares and gory set pieces thrown in to keep you awake. Avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

One of the better horror films so far this year. Really enjoyed it.

The poster above moaning that it looks like it was "made in the 70's with 70's pacing and production" as though that's a bad thing. That's why I loved it so much. It's a proper throwback and its made with love for the original.

Only minor quibble is that they felt the need to leave loose threads as sequel bait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭weadick

As a lover of the original I'm half afraid to see this. Halloween 2018 was bad enough and I didn't bother going to see the new Exorcist. Reviews of this film seem to veer wildly from very positive to horrible. Is it worth seeing?

Advertisement