Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forest Fest - Emo, Co. Laois - 2024

Options
  • 29-11-2023 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Happy days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I am shocked I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭rockterrain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Fanirish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

The weather was terrible running up to it and it bucketed during the weekend leading to an absolutely wrecked gaa pitch, like proper wrecked, dumbos ma's fanny was probably in better condition after delivering that floppy eared prick.

The camping and campervan areas were a sh1tshow of mud and stuff, toilet areas did not hold up at all.

Great weekend otherwise though for the music.

full gory details : https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058275186/forest-fest-emo-co-laois-july-21-23-2023/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Apart from the rain and overbooked campervan field it was spot on IMHO.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭rockterrain

Weather was a disaster but pretty much the only thing wrong imo. Spoke to someone who went the first year and they said last year was a step up. If the facilities and line-up improves again we could be in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Really interested to see who they book this year. Last year was such a step up in profile of acts, I'm really struggling to see how they're managing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Delighted to hear this.

If they get their sh1t together, organisation wise, it'll be another great weekend.

Interested to see where they go with the line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Layne

Lineup last year was fantastic, Susanne Vega, Suede, Peter Hook and Gabrielle along with the best of Irish talent was ace. More of the same next year and kinder weather and it should be a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Many irish festivals are ruined by weather. Unfortunately not much you can do about that.

Well, you can plan for that eventuality. I wasn't there last year but there was a feeling that they weren't really ready despite poor advance forecasts I think.

Seemingly, the mats that are used as walkways, the kind you'd see at croke park for gigs. They were to be shipped straight down from Forever Young to Emo, but they were buried under all the mud at FY. They should have known and should have planned better tbh, and hopefully they do so next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭rubick

This is really quite surprising.

The campsite was a disgrace this outing. No segregation between Security/Family/General camping and 12 Portaloos (no urinals) for the entire campsite field was ludicrous.

Found the actual festival site to be fine for the most part despite the rain, and can't fault the line-up at all I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Navan Man01

I’m sorta surprised by this!

Going on what I heard, I thought the organisers would be hammered financially!

I had a great wkend personally, we were in a campervan & got there early on the Friday morning, it was the afternoon when the sh*tshow started!

Musically it was class! D Irish weather is what it is! We were forewarned! D portaloo’s we’re a mess though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Yes little can be done, might have a bit better luck with the weather but even in July in Ireland it's fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Been at a few very wet Stendhal's in July. And some belters too.

Luck of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Any word on tickets for this?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Travis / Dexys / Human League

The tickets link just reverts to the 2022 page, so i'd say they're updating their website.

Bit of a let down after this years headliners tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭LowOdour

While probably a downgrade on Suede and James from last year, Dexys and Human League would be well worth a seeing

• Advertisement

The set is Dexys / Dexys midnight runners tunes.

Going by setlist.fm if it's a standalone gig you get a nice few DMR tunes, but only 2/3 with a shorter set. As they're headliners, they'll most likely do the former.

I saw them at EP some years back, and as i didn't know his own stuff, didn't really get into the gig. They did sound great though.

I saw Travis once, maybe 25 years ago. They were ok. I didn't know they were still together tbh.

I've never seen Human League, and yes they should be very good. Saturday night headliner you'd imagine.

I'll be holding off on getting tickets tbh, but glad to see the Forest Fleadh back, it was great last year and fingers crossed they have Kila & brass back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

If you're a fan of Travis you'll be able to see them for cheap on resell tickets alongside the Killers as their support act.

3 dates resell is going to go for peanuts in the days before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Fanirish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Time will tell, would be cool if there was a reminder option on this

Yeah, if this had been LAST year's initial announcement, I'd have been well impressed. They upped expectations though and that does feel like a step back.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭corm500

Where did you get this info from? cant find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Forest Fest3 - boutique festival in Emo confirmed for summer 2024 return

After a successful second outing, rave reviews and a demand from fans and performers, Forest Fest is set to make a welcome return to Laois next summer.   

The indie boutique festival in the village of Emo will be staged on the weekend of July 19th 2024.   

“We’ve been listening attentively to the feedback from those who enjoyed Forest Fest this summer, to the local community, the bands and the artists and it’s a resounding thumbs up for the Forest Fest formula. So, we are delighted to confirm that it’s happening, we are going again next year,” said Forest Fest promoter Philip Meagher.   

“The message too, is loud and clear, don’t go changing, we love you just the way you are, and we intend to heed that desire for an interesting line-up in an intimate setting. People loved the Forest Fest vibe, and we want to stay true to that as bigger isn’t always better,” assured Philip, who revealed that negotiations are already underway with agents and artists to secure a first-class programme of performers.”   

“Our second Forest Fest this summer ran off really well and was a great success, but we know we need to tweak some things, make improvements to ensure and enhance an even better Forest Fest experience next July.    

“We’ve locked in our dates and now the work is underway to put the best bands, artists, attractions, food offering, children’s entertainment, camping facilities and so on to provide a safe and fun family-friendly festival, at a fair price point, not just for the tickets but the beverage, food and refreshments offering as well,” Philip outlined.   

“Music fans are already missing the summer, hankering for the fun of festival, and hanging out with friends in a comfortable, convenient and cosy space and we want to assure them that we are working on a line-up and festival programme with all the trimming for next July, so watch this space. Loyalty Tickets for Forest Fest3 will go on sale at 9am on Wednesday the 13th December next, just in time as a fabulous Christmas gift,” he revealed.   

“People have been asking are we going ahead again, so we just wanted to reassure everyone, Forest Fest 3 is on it’s way next July, on the weekend of July 19th, in the same location and venue which served us so well this year. We have the same team behind this year’s successful event on production, staging, security, vendors, online customer service to ensure we maintain high standards and production values for a quality show and performance on all levels, right throughout the festival weekend and across all aspects of the event.   

We will be repeating the festival arena setup with four dedicated arenas to include the very popular festival fleadh tent and arena for best of up and coming Irish acts with an emphasis on as much local talent as possible.  One of our tents will also be dedicated late at night to recreating the Ibiza Summer Dance Vibe from the 90’s with international DJ’s already booked.  

Some important dates for your diary, Forest Fest3 takes place on the weekend of July 19th, 2024, and the loyalty weekend ticket offering will go on sale on Wednesday the 13th December  next, with early bird tickets going on sale on the 15th December. So, keep an eye out on your email for Wednesday morning next week as we will send out the loyalty ticket link via email to all previous attendees. You can also share the available link with your own family and close friends during the 48 hour window of when its available.

Take care and looking forward to seeing you all back at Forest Fest3 next summer.

Philp Meagher, Forest Fest founder and promoter

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Will be boycotting. Have not paid numerous artists. Many local groups in that area have reported that they are still out of pocket after performing. Dreadful. Disgusting way to treat anyone.

Some are putting public comments out now as have requested payment numerous times and still have received their negotiated performance fee.

Loved the idea of a festival with mainly homegrown Irish artists but disgusted to hear this has happened to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Lots of comments on a variety of forums. More that have already been deleted and/or blocked.

Advertisement