Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Louise Duffy Show - RTE Radio 1

Options
  • 09-01-2023 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭

Seems best to start a new thread for a new presenter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks Fred.

So far so good for Louise.

Her hearts in the right place and the music is good.

What more could you ask for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I should have added "for the

first day". 🙂

Some shoes to fill she must have had at least a bit of stage fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Listened to the first half hour or so.

I can't see many of Ronan's clientele hanging around to listen to her choice of music.

Very early days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

Thing is tho the majority of Ronan's clientele will hang around as the dial is just welded to Radio 1 and that's where it stays no matter who is on.

I loved Ronan's show, but being in my early 30's I would say I'm well towards the younger side of his audience and we would be the ones that would switch off, and in fairness I dont think there's too many of us!!

Louise's first day was ok. She seemed a bit dull, but at least she was competent and knows what she was doing, hopefully she will grow in to the role more. Music also was ok, nice to hear some Talking heads and Roxy music, but apart from that as middle of the road as you could get. Every day Ronan had something up his sleeve that made me think "Ronan, you Gem!" Hopefully in time Louise can find similar surprises.

.....the show needs more yodeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

It will intersting to see what the listenership figures will be the next time they are published.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Let's give her a fair chance.

I didn't find the music terribly inspiring either, but Ronan had some lemons too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Real "Late Date" energy all this week unfortunately.

A square peg in a round hole.

I was just thinking the same....

Didn't mind the stand ins much when Ronan was out, well, except for Shay, as you knew it was just that, a stand in. I'll give it another week, but I cant see myself sticking with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I wonder who else was in line for being Ronan's replacement?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

Listened to some of the show during the week, not a full show though. Nice mellow music but maybe needs a bit more upbeat music for daytime show. Will give her a while to settle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Karppi

Seems to me she’s got a nice personality so I’m happy for her to carry on and make it her show. The king is gone, long live the Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Luckily she didn't get it. She was absolutely dire the time she stood in for Ronan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Give her a bit of time, haven't heard much evidence of character or experience yet. Music is alright though, hope she has the guts to stick to what she thinks best and doesn't kowtow to requests for more schmaltz.

She definitely pulled out all the stops today.

I don't know if it was Blue Monday or her nine hours driving in the car alone at the weekend that provided the inspiration.

The music certainly lifted me and I was already in good form 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmm….bit over the top there dude…..even for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I've heard this show a few times over the last few days. I really like the music choices so far - today was great. She's putting her own stamp on things and not trying to fill anyone's shoes. I find her very easy on the ear.

^^^ I agree. She’s a professional and is making the hour hers, how, not Ronan 2.0.

(I enjoyed Ronan’s show; but all things must end)

A bit of Supertramp. Louise, you're aaaaaallllllllright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

I’m definitely warning to Louise myself. I liked her stints filling in for Ronan previously but didn’t pay huge attention as she was just standing in. I’m in my late 40’s so probably was on the younger side of Ronan’s demographic but she’s playing tge sort of stuff I want to listen to and I find I’m enjoying the music more than Ronan’s choices. Yes I liked Ronan a lot but there were always a few duds in there.

yeah she doesn’t have the rarely played gens Ronan would throw out every so often but in guessing she’s in her 30s so by the time she’s Ronan’s age she’ll have gens of her own no doubt.

overran she seems to have a lovely personality and is easy to listen to and her music selection isn’t bleeding edge so I can’t see even the older demographic getting too upset during their lunchtime.

I guess It’sa laid back side but there’s bore contemporary energy from Louise. I really didn’t expect to have such a positive impression after only a few weeks but she hasn’t out a bit wrong so far imho. Keep it up Louise!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

enjoying todays music I must say !!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Was in a meeting but came back into the car to hear Rueben by Cathey Davey followed by Yes by McAlmont and Butler. At 12.50 in the day - fantastic stuff.

I always liked Louise on her evening Today FM slot. I'll be tuning in from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I enjoyed the hour today

She’s off to a very good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

I am in shock - at all the good comments on here about Louise's new show - and I agree with them. She is definitely putting her own stamp on the hour and the music that she is picking is a good mix.

I think it was a good choice for the RTE Radio 1 heads to pick her - she knows her stuff and she definitely puts time & effort into picking the music for her show.

I do miss Ronan's voice & chat - but this show is different and I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Fair play…..the chat that hasn’t changed since 1968?

Can I mark you down as ‘averse to change’?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Donuthead

I think Louise is settling in nicely.

Ronan Collins is indeed a very hard act to follow, however, Louise is putting her stamp on the show and she can only continue to flourish.

Best of luck to her.

She is a good presenter, the show feels upbeat and I enjoy the music. I do also miss Ronan’s chatter, but, as other posters have said, she’s a good choice for the slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Where in my post do I say that I am averse to change? I said I missed Ronan but I do like the new show that Louise is making her own.

Advertisement