Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Combo box for Satellite, Saorview and with an ability to record series

Options
  • 12-09-2022 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I have a satellite and saorview aerial installed and working with a cheap combo box.

The combo box software (Amiko) has the functionality to record at particular dates and times. It does not have the functionality to record a series - specify a programme that's being broadcast and it figures out when it's being broadcast and records all episodes, even if the times and dates change.

I want to get a combo box that will do this for me. I see people on here talking about Enigma 2, Gigablue, Zgemma, etc. When I look at the user guides for these, I'm not sure they will do what I want.

Has anyone got a setup that will do this for them?

It would be an added bonus if I could record on one TV and watch through another. I've seen people say that this is possible with Firesticks (https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119484104/#Comment_119484104).

I've been looking for a Smart TV that could do all of this for me without a Combo box, but can't find one in any of the retail places I've looked. There are TVs that have two tuners and recording facilities, but none that could record series that I could see.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The Zgemma H7S does all you need. You can build your own favourites lists with any combination of Saorview and satellite channels you like. You have full 7 day EPG for all channels. The builtin WEBIF function allows any device on your home network with a web browser to stream live or recorded. You can also use this function control the box, set timers, edit bouquet lists etc. 'Series linking' or autotimers are based on a clever search function that matches program names (or parts of) in the EPG. You can specify days, time ranges and channels if needed although the default settings usually suit most needs. To use it, you would select a show on the EPG. Pressing a coloured button on the remote will set a timer or a different button would set an autotimer. If you pick autotimer a window opens to confirm the default settings should you wish to change them or just hit OK to accept the defaults. In other words, two button presses is all you need to set a series link timer. E.G. if you set it for 'Great British Bake off' on Ch4 without specifying a day, it will record the main show and the 'Extra Bits' show if you want.

I am not aware of any Smart Tv that comes close to a box in terms of functionality. I have no experience with Firesticks so cant vouch for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mullass

Thanks @Gerry Wicklow , that looks good. It's difficult to source one in places I am looking, seemingly due to chip shortages in some sites - any ideas where I could get one now.

Does anyone know how this box compares to some of the Gigablue boxes??

I found some at

It's a bit pricey compared to prices I've seen on here, but there are some available and it's local. Is this the correct box ans is there anything like OpenATV or CrossEPG that I should ask to have installed on it?

Apologies for the image - I'm not able to post a link yet. Hopefully it's ok to do it this way

Thanks

Personally I prefer openVIX as the OS because it includes most of the plugins by default. Others on here prefer openATV. There's not much in the difference. The HDD is simple to install if you have a spare 2.5" drive already or you can get a 120Gb SSD for ~€20 delivered.

I've lost track of suppliers but someone else here might know of better prices for the Zgemma. Make sure it is the H7S model there is another similar named one that doesn't suit Ireland. Pre-Brexit I used to recommend world-of-sat in UK but they are out of stock currently.

As for Gigablue or VU+ boxes, You are paying 2X premium prices for not a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Hi Mullass,

The H7S is cheaper here - https://virts.ie/sat-receivers/zgemma-h7s-satellite-receiver-4k-enigma2-dvb-s2s2x-dvb-t2c.html (also an Irish supplier, so no customs worries).

I've purchased to H7S for family members post-brexit and that's where I got them.

• Advertisement

I got the Zgemma H7S box today in the freesat shop today. The guy in the shop was fairly sure that it won't allow me to do series recording (just scheduled recording for the same time every week), but I looked back on the threads here while I was there (and other stuff online) and I think it can!

Let's see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Enigma2 operating systems (which the H7S runs) have their own version of series link called Autotimers.

It basically creates a list of criteria (what the show is called, when it's on etc.) and automatically records whenever the criteria are met.

That might sound complicated, but it's not. It's much more intuitive when you've tried it out. If you just select the program you want to 'series link', hit Add Autotimer, the box will just suggest some criteria, and you just hit OK.

Like everything in the land of Enigma2, it's suuupper flexible, but for 95% of people the default options just work.

I got the H7S and set it with my satellite and aerial. It's all working well.

I configured it with OpenVIX (managed to overwrite the installed OS instead of flashing it to a new partition, but I will get back to that) and tried out the autotimers to record series. They seem to be working well, so thanks everyone!

I just have one cable each for my satellite and my aerial.

1) Can I use splitters on those to get two signals so I can record and view from the same source at the same time? I think I saw somewhere that people have done this.

2) Are there ways to access Netflix, Disney+, etc through plugins on OpenVIX? I think I read somewhere that this could be done with Kodi on OpenATV.

Thanks!

Just to feedback:

I got simple splitters and they are working well - to generate two signals for the Zgemma box and also to generate signals (aerial and satellite) for the TV. Recordings are being done and it doesn't stop us watching channels on the inputs in a number of different ways.

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

You have me intrigued, normally its not possible to split a sat signal in the way you describe and it should not work. Is it possible the lnb is unicable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Not sure if it's relevant but I was able to split the cable / signal from the Sky box and run it to 2 different TVs.

Do you mean sat cable? And will both work on different channels and polarity at same time??

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry, I meant the HDMI cable. Can only watch the same channels obviously. That's probably all different to what the previous poster was alluding to.

yes totally. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dingbat

I have same use case. Is the Edision OS Nino Pro any good?

https://www.edision.gr/en/detail/edision-os-nino-pro-s2x-t2-c-grey

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Will the ZGemma EPG continue to be available for ever? I understand it is a bit of a hack, and they're pulling data from a source that they really shouldn't be using. Is there a risk that this source will be cut off at some point in time?

How about the Freesat branded boxes, that have their own official EPG?

CrossEPG is the plugin used to download the EPG data, usually during the night. It can be configured to use several sources direct from the satellite or from the internet if required. The main weakness of the FreeSat data is, obviously, that it only includes channels that are on FreeSat and not all of the FTA channels available. Some minor channels and +1s are not included which is why some people configure crossEPG to use the other sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

It’s being pulled from a completely legitimate source and isn’t going anywhere. Nothing to worry about on that front. The Zgemma h7s is ideal for your needs.

read post 18. And can you give the source of your throwaway " I understand its a bit of a hack",

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭andy1249

And you understand that from where ?

The EPG source is "Sky UK Open TV on Astra" and is available for free to any box that point and tune to it.

It is not specific or exclusive to Zgemma boxes.

Jeez, did I ruffle some feathers? No offence intended, and no particular expertise in this area on my part.

My source was a fairly detailed discussion with a provider of bundled systems. They did both the Zgemma and the Freesat boxes, and wasn't particularly trying to steer me in one direction or another. I'm not sure if he used the word 'hack' to describe the Zgemma EPG source, but he did indicate that it wasn't an official source, unlike the Freesat box, using Freesat's own EPG.

Does the Sky reference in the EPG source indicate that Sky TV are involved? Could they be motivated to block the source for their competitors at some stage?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We might move past the issue of entitlement to use the EPG data for now please.

Sorry @swoofer - just seeing this query now! I don't know whether the lnb is unicable or not. We got the satellite from freesat in Fairview.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AindrisBro

Hey everyone not sure if there is a thread like this in another section. But been looking at this thread a lot and finally pushed the button on cancelling sky (took an hour of repeating myself on the phone to do so) seen all the recommendations for the Zgemma H7S. Also the world of satellite website. I’m not too far from the boarder so can get it sent to a parcel club for €3 and avoid all the hassle of fees etc. just a few questions to ask your very knowledgeable minds here. Firstly I’m planning on using the sky satellite. It was for a sky Q box my understanding of what I read is I need a hybrid LNB for this now? Also in that regard my indoor aerial I’m looking at ones ion Amazon that have good reviews in the €30 range. They say they go upto 170 miles. I’m about 30km from the nearest tv mast I would assume this would be okay? And lastly the H7S is the best combo box to get? The wife needs subtitles on everything we watch and thinking back to the good old days of dodgy boxes the subtitles didn’t exist on live tv.

Thanks so much in advance guys

You are leaving out a few vital bits, 1. Make and model of TV, it may have a Saorview Tuner and a satellite tuner. 2. A link to that aerial in amazon. 170 miles is stretching it a bit but may have been tested in a desert.

1. Zgemma h7s will be fine for your needs, it was reduced to 99 recently. Make sure you get a HDD with it and with the new boxes it sticks out at rear.
    2. WOS do the lnb you need but you will have to access the dish. The sky q lnb is usually well installed, i.e unscrewing the cables can be bit tight.
    3. If you are fairly close to border you may pick up Freeview along with Saorview. Look at houses nearby and see what aerials they use.
    4. I would not use an internal unless you mean a loft aerial beyond 8km.
    5. you will have to tune in Saorview when you get box so you will need a bit of know how, look at the ZGemma guide thread.
    6. Make sure WOS set it up for you, ie you may have to ask and NB get the OPENVIX IMAGE installed.
    7. you will have to turn on subtitles when you get box or ask WOS.
    8. NB make sure its well ventilated.
    Post edited by swoofer on

Really appreciate the reply buddy. Sorry never thought to include the tv. It’s a Samsung LED46 (English bought) from what I see in the menu it does have a satellite tuner or can be configured to it in the main aerial channel. The option is greyed out on the HDMI channels.

this is the aerial https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deenor-Upgraded-Digital-Freeview-Booster-Black-1001/dp/B0CVXDYX4G/ref=sr_1_7?crid=34CWIAVWOUH6M&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.cMcGUn7jbZ2-mRJO8BHo2vBTC-_IWMfB7Y-JiOi-OZpKuz1SKVVYc3g85dIMl1c2WxcjQlZjnDGYiEzIVmMS_3gicfaonWJvQq_iEMDRGZC2OayOKJILGL9kY3r1Wm8uI0kcpELVoA6l8aqVkWohqzhBAWtecNcgZmECEOgw5jjv7yCjLqmrVwxbRDny9_EcIQH4Dx_WuGFzS504lsYSRxmtP71Kjo55UdDfY4X3N1E.SU5s2mV4S5f5rZ2_XwpTxYDNi-l7Ktx-sCByvrHWPIc&dib_tag=se&keywords=indoor%2Baerial%2Bfor%2Bsmart%2Btv&qid=1709915630&sprefix=Indoor%2Baerial%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-7-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1

it’s bigger then the one I had previously viewed but was more or less just checking them out. With the sky dish I’m in a bungalow and the dish is placed fairly low lying so with a step ladder I would be fine in getting to it. It was installed less than two years ago by a very drunk technician so could be anything in terms of tightness. I just checked ukfreetv for the mast in the north and the signal strength shows I would just be on the edge of it. Local houses would have a mix of sky and the normal high gain aerials. Out in the sticks houses are far and inbetween to get a proper gauge.

honestly really appreciate the help

At the rear of TV there will be a nameplate and that will tell me the EXACT model and that is what I need 46 led is just screen size and its a LED one.

You can chance that aerial and it may work if not you can send back, HIGH GAIN means signal is not that easy to get.

The model number of the tv is UE46F6670SB. The aerials are a hard one to call. We moved to Leitrim and an awful lot of houses are far and inbetween and populated by elderly people. They don’t look in anyway new rather just like the old ones from the 80s for the terrestrial tv. Looking at what I could get etc on the freeview I’m not overly worried that I could miss out on RTE. Never watch virgin and if needed be if it’s a case of having to get a high gain I would just resort to RTÉ player I think

• Advertisement

That TV has a satellite tuner for Freesat and a Digital tuner for Freeview/ saorview. To get Freesat you would need to set up tv as located in UK and it asks for a postcode. however, when TV is set as UK and you tune SAORVIEW the channels will be in the 800 range.

The Zgemma h7s gives you 2 tuners and one DTT so a good choice.

Just make sure you tell WOS to load Openvix with a skin called Vix Blue and picons snp-full 220x 132-190 x 102 dark on blue, looks ace.

With these boxes you are given a choice as to which region in the UK you want for BBC/ITV I use London.

When you get box you will need to set up the DTT tuner for your location, post on the zgemma thread if you need how to do that.

Advertisement